Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second Radio System???

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Radio System???

Old 06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
shussey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Radio System???

Hi - I am currently learning how to fly on my NexStar and am loving it - planning on soloing this week. I'm planning on getting a Sig 4 star as a second plane and am looking at what a good next step for a radio system is. Obviously, I want to get a 6 channel for future growth needs(flaps, retracts, etc), and my question is should I invest in a computer radio or just go with a lower end 6 channel. Cost is a consideration, but I'm planning on being in this game for a while so I don't mind paying a little more if the system continue to grow as my skills do.

Also, any comments on a Sig 4 star as a second. Any suggestions on a warbird as an alternative?

Any help or advice is appreciated
Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Second Radio System???

Sig 4 star--good second plane.
Warbird--Bad second plane
Period
BTW, you should fly that trainer until at least toward the end of the summer before you tackle the four star. Even after you solo, you'll still be learning a lot.
JR 6102--excellent six channel radio that will last you for a long time. Whatever you get, get a computer radio. Don't bother with the analog stuff.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Fly-n-3D

I have the 6102 and it is a great radio. 10 model memory, 8 character model naming, and it has a lot of great features. You can fly it with planes and helis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81840.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	287678  
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Fly-n-3D

And also, what transmitter did you have before?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 PM
shussey

Thanks....and I do plan to fly my trainer for a while - thanks for the advice on the JR - any idea how cheap I can get it
Old 06-20-2005, 11:02 PM
shussey

I have the one that comes with the NextStar.....Futaba 4 channel 4TF I think....
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Fly-n-3D

You can get the JR 6102 for around $240.00 You will not regret the money you spent for this.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:54 PM
ICE_MAN

Or get the Futaba 6EXA Great radio! It was my first and I'm now flying an Ultra Stick Lite On it
Old 06-21-2005, 12:36 AM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Shussey-- My first computer radio was a JR6102 -- I absolutley love it -- I have a couple friends that have Futaba 7C's that are very nice also. I think both are teriffic radios and that you would be happy with either--- but you will drive yourself nuts trying to fiqure out which one is BEST -- can't be done (IMHO)..... I picked JR because my instructor uses JR and we still occasionaly buddy box -- always learning new stuff and also I would guess 2/3 of the club is JR -- I suspect because the 2 instructors father & son both use JR and has trained quite a few members. Everybody wants to make the best decisions on their radio equipment -- but it is pretty hard to make a bad choice between brand names if the radios have the features you want.

I also fly a 4*40 arf -- I think it is a great second plane -- since it was my first low wing taildragger I practiced tons of landings (pro 10-12 per tank of fuel) -- some have been a little rough and the wire on my tailwheel kept bending up -- I kept straightening out -- you guessed it the wire broke . If I had to do over again I would probably upgraded to a stronger tail wheel from the start since I was/am using the plane to practice my landings.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 AM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

I have always been told that if you plan to be in the hobby for the long haul then go ahead and buy the best radio that you can afford. Even if you don't think you will ever need those extra channels some day you will and you'll be glad to have them. And by all means get a computer radio. One more word of advise, don't buy a used one unless you know where it came from and know the radio's history. I learned the hard way.Bought a used 6 channel off EBAY and lost two planes.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 AM
CP140

Another vote here for the 4 Star as a "second airplane"...I'm about to retire mine(sniff) as it is getting pretty beat up and I'm thinking I might just get another one. I wouldn't recomend a warbird... they can be a little bit of a handful as a step up from a trainer.

As for radios, I'd suggest gettting something that is compatible with your current radio(ie, that uses the same "shift" ). That pretty much boils down to another Futaba or perhaps one of the Airtronics/Hitec models that can transmit either "shift". (I have an Airtronics RD6000 and have been very happy with it... )And yes, if it were me I'd go for a computer type radio.

Edit: Remove the smiley that didn't like my punctuation!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Wing-Ding

I sure like my Hitec Eclipse 7. It has the Spectra module which allows me to select any transmit frequency. My second plane was (I stress WAS) a Four Star 60. I really loved it. I flew it for an entire season before I drilled it into the ground. It was challenging to fly at first because of it being a low-wing, tail-dragger, but once I got the hang of it, it was really fun.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 AM
bluffpolls

I am also thinking about upgrading radio - but if my simple, analogue, 4 channel is working alright and I dont need any more channels, why should I change?

Also, what makes computer better??
Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second plane was a Goldberg Tiger 60. I like the larger size (thus better visibility for these aging eyes) and this plane is almost as sedate as a trainer but is capable of doing all of the aerobatic maneuvers quite nicely. I have a Sig Four Star 40 and it flys great but after flying the Tiger 60, the four star is a tad small, but, as I said, a great flyer.

My second radio was actually my first. I already had an Airtronics RD6000 computer radio when I bought the NexSTAR. After deciding that I didn't much care for the AFS, I removed the Futaba system and put my RD6000 system in there. It gave me the ability to add expo, dual rates, and so on as well as 4 model memory (which was my key reason for changing out the radio).

So, as an answer to your original question, well, if you like Futaba, then stick with it but get a computer radio with model memory capability. Same with JR or Airtronics or Hitec. All are great and will provide you with that redundancy the model memory gives you.

ds
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

My second was a futaba 7C i still have it and love it i think it was like 265 with digi servos, but 230 with s3004s I HIGHLY reccomend it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: bluffpolls

I am also thinking about upgrading radio - but if my simple, analogue, 4 channel is working alright and I dont need any more channels, why should I change?

Don't change simply for the sake of change. If you don't need or want more channels or features, keep your money in your pocket. Some people buy a new, inexpensive, 4 or 6 channel system for each plane. Others want a single transmitter to control multiple planes. That's where computer radios typically have the advantage. You have multiple model memories to store the setup for each plane. With a 'standard' transmitter and multiple planes, you have to set servo reversing and trims every time you want to flya different model. Another advantage to many computerized transmitters: you can get the mechanical adjustments 'pretty close' and then use the transmitter to make very tiny final adjustments.

Also, computer radios allow for mixing channels together. Mix a little rudder with aileron for coordinated turns using only the aileron stick. Mix flaps and elevator eitherfor low speed hndling orto enhance aerobatics. Many possibilities depending on the radio and the plane.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Ignoring more advanced things like mixing, extra channels for flaps and retracts, etc, here's the things I use on my computer radio:
1) Electronic trims (no more knocking the trim lever while carrying the tx to the field)
2) Multiple model memory (one transmitter, many planes)
3) Throttle cutoff (flip a lever and the engine shuts off, but doesn't mess up the idle trim)
4) Dual rates (let's me set gentle and agressive throws)
5) Exponential (allows me to desensitize the throws in the middle, resulting in smoother flight, especially when using higher throws)
6) Digital voltage indicator instead of silly little LEDs common in 4 channel tx
7) End point adjustment (simplifies initial setup, but should not be a crutch for avoiding mechanical adjustment of the linkages)

Planes can be flown without the above features, but they definitely make things nicer.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
txaggie08

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Ignoring more advanced things like mixing, extra channels for flaps and retracts, etc, here's the things I use on my computer radio:
1) Electronic trims (no more knocking the trim lever while carrying the tx to the field)
2) Multiple model memory (one transmitter, many planes)
3) Throttle cutoff (flip a lever and the engine shuts off, but doesn't mess up the idle trim)
4) Dual rates (let's me set gentle and agressive throws)
5) Exponential (allows me to desensitize the throws in the middle, resulting in smoother flight, especially when using higher throws)
6) Digital voltage indicator instead of silly little LEDs common in 4 channel tx
7) End point adjustment (simplifies initial setup, but should not be a crutch for avoiding mechanical adjustment of the linkages)

Planes can be flown without the above features, but they definitely make things nicer.

i have to agree with him. im already learning how to use most of the features hes talking about, and im sitll on my trainer(exponential is cool.....). i like my futaba 7c, but i also like the JR 6 channel equivelent ive seen(dont know the number)
Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
shussey

Another newbie Q...if I buy a computer radio can I still use my existing analog Futaba receiver? I know...assumes same signal shift, but will I have to get a whole new system (tx, rx, and servos) to accomodate the computer tx?

Do you all recommend buying in kits or in pieces?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

You can still use your current reciever, but if you switch channels, you must get a new rx crystal. Other than that the reciever in that plane now will be used. I reccomend a whole system it saves a couple of bucks..
Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 PM
bruce88123

I'd say buy the 7c system complete. This way your trainer will be intact as a ready-to-fly back-up plane. Your 4 channel radio can serve as a buddy box in your initial 4* flights if you feel the need or vice versa if you wish to train a friend on your Nexstar. Computer radios, as stated, have many endearing features. The best of which is model memories which will allow you to just purchas flight packs as your fleet grows. Of course, if you kill a plane you won't need new radios for the next as long as they survive. You can fly a 4* with dual aileron servos with a 4 channel buddy box as long as you don't hook it up for flaperons. After you get used to the plane you can easily switch it over just by moving a few wires and perhaps a servo reversal.

Enjoy your flying
Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

My primary radio is a JR 8103, but I have just bought a Hitec Optic 6 channel as a back up, and quite like it.

I like the Optic 6 due to the following:
Can set transmitter to any channel the receiver is on
Can shift select plus or minus to fly Jr, Hitec, Airtronics, Futaba receivers (can buy almost any receiver)
Has all digital trims
Has throttle stop button
Stores 8 model settings
Has assignable switches
Has mixing
Has expo
Has dual rates
Can select different surface control (eleverons, v-tail, flaperons etc)
Can buddy box to JR with Hangar 9 cable
Can buddy box to Futaba and Hitec
Can software select Mode 1 or Mode 2 and then switch stick spring
Adjustable stick tensions
Has ON/OFF light
Has SubTrim
Has Timers
Has LCD screen for programming and radio status
and much more!

Besides this, the transmitter with Spectra Module (selectable channels) WITH single channel receiver can be bought for LESS than $200.00

The only disadvantages I can see is the channels are not named on the screen - it shows channel 1, 2 3, etc. The model name shows only briefly at power up, but then switched to a model number (1-8). No big deal for me considering the price, it is a good bang for the buck.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller

Old 06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
bruce88123

Wayne Miller - didn't see any receiver, servos, rx batteries or switch harnesses listed so can I assume this $200 just buys a transmitter?

He did say he was looking for a SYSTEM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Fly-n-3D

Either the JR 6102 (like I have), or the Futaba 7C. They should cost around $220-$260

A SYSTEM

And also, Pilot Chad, does the Futaba 7 C work with planes and helis?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi bruce88123,

I did say the under $200.00 price was for TX WITH RX. you must have missed it. I kinda assumed he had servos and battery, but I'm probably wrong.

Just to confirm prices, I looked up the prices at Tower Hobby and they are:
Selectable channel Optic 6 TX with RX = $179.99
Selectable channel Optic 6 TX only = $169.99
Complete Optic 6 system (selectable channel Tx module is optional and a little more) with Rx, Batteries, 325 Servos = $209.99

It is a good system, I fly it as my back up system and the price is right. If you check around, I think you'll find that the Hitec flight packs and servos are bought separately, after original radio purchase by many modelers due to cost/performance. They are very reliable and probably the best price around for flight packs.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller

Edited for typos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.