Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Next plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Next plane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:50 AM
CRrdr97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next plane?

Hi, I was wandering which plane i should get next? I have flown a couple of different foam park flyers. I have a .40 motor but i was looking for something smaller like a .15 - .25.
Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 08-04-2005, 02:05 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Next plane?

Seeing how you already have a 40 motor I would suggest you get a 40 sized trainer. Any particular reason you want a smaller plane?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Fastsky

Smaller glow planes are fun but need a light touch on the controls. The smaller wingspan means that it only takes a second or less for the plane to completly turn upside down. This can be fun for the experienced but more than a handful for a new pilot.Larger planes are easier to see, can land slower, and are more forgiving while learning. If you are serious about learning how to fly glow powered planes, find a 40 sized trainer to go with your engine. A large easy to fly 40 sized trainer is the SIG LT40. A good advanced trainer is called the Avistar. Have fun!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
plane_freek

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

A large easy to fly 40 sized trainer is the SIG LT40
I have the LT-40, got my wings on it last year, fun plane to fly, its can be a REAL FLOATER on really windy days, ive almost had it flying backwards one of the days, my instructor was doing it easily. It won't do rolls stock, but hammerheads, loops etc it will take it.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Fastsky

Re: "It won't do rolls stock" < mine would o that ok. Inverted flying was a challenge, you had to fight the plane to keep it from self correcting and rolling back to normal flight![8D]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Smaller glow planes are fun but need a light touch on the controls. The smaller wingspan means that it only takes a second or less for the plane to completly turn upside down. This can be fun for the experienced but more than a handful for a new pilot.Larger planes are easier to see, can land slower, and are more forgiving while learning.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree. The sensitivity of a plane is a function of the control throws, not its size. Any plane, even a .40 size trainer, is going to be a handful for a beginner if the throws are too large. Flying .15 to .25 size planes takes no more or less skill than a .40 size.

As for visibility, sure, they are smaller. Easy solution, don't fly them as far away. Many beginners fly way too high anyway.

Larger planes can land slower? That's a funtion of plane design and wing loading, not size. In fact, it's just the opposite, smaller planes fly slower. Compare the stall speeds of a 747 (~120 kts) versus a 737 (~107 kts). Don't quote me on the exact numbers, but this is what I found online. A larger plane may seem to be landing slower, but it's partly an illusion.

More forgiving? A trainer is a trainer. Forgiving is also a function of design, not size. I've seen .15 size planes survive tumbles, with no damage, that would have resulted in significant breakage on a larger plane. One reason, less mass.

If Josh wants to try a smaller plane, let's help him find one instead of trying to convince him that small planes are bad. I've got years of experience with small and large planes and I know for a fact that small planes are no more or less difficult than large planes. In fact, for many people, small planes actually are less intimidating than large ones.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
CRrdr97

I wanted a smaller one so i could go to the field that is right by my house. Ill have to look into the LT-40. Thanks again
Josh
Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: CRrdr97

Hi, I was wandering which plane i should get next? I have flown a couple of different foam park flyers. I have a .40 motor but i was looking for something smaller like a .15 - .25.
Thanks in advance,
Josh
Josh, give us some more details about your experience. It's pretty common to suggest a trainer for someone who's making the transition from park flyer to glow. The reason for this is that glow planes fly faster so some transition is usually required. The characteristics of a trainer mean this transition will be less likely to result in crashing your plane.

However, if you can really wring out your park flyer and you've got an instructor ready to help you with the transition to glow, it's also possible that you can bypass the trainer and go to something that would be typically recommended as a second plane. Since glow engines do require learning some new skills, you definitely should get help.

As you can tell, I don't buy into the myth that bigger is better. My first plane was a .15 and it flew as slow and gentle as any .45 trainer on the market. There are plenty of smaller planes available, and lots of reasons to choose one. In my fleet right now I've got 2 .10-.15 size, 2 .25 size, and 2 .45 size planes. The planes from the 2 smaller groups go to the field way more often than the .45 ones. They are usually stored in the shop with the wing still attached, because they fit in the car this way. One even fits in the trunk with the wing on. I can take 3 or 4 planes to the field in my Sebring convertable without even using the front passenger seat, and leaving the top up. Try this with .45 size planes. Add to the smaller size the fact that they use less fuel, will fly longer on the same size receiver battery, can take off, fly, and land in smaller spaces, and it's easy to see why a person might want some of this size plane in their fleet.

It's all a matter of preference, and only you can decide what you like best. I say go for it, I've had lots of fun with small planes.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
CRrdr97

Which small plane do you recomend? My uncle will help go from electric to glow.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:09 PM
txaggie08

dont go glow without an instructor.......its a bigger PITA than it looks.....

I realy like the little goldberg tiger i was flying(rated for a .15-.25 i beleive), but we had a .46 on it wich was WAY, let me reinterate WAY, to much motor for it. i would think with a hot little .25, it would perform very well(with that .46, we could have been pylon racing it.....). its a well made trainer except the horizontal stab. It flutered considerably, but i sheeted it and it got fixed. The one Kadet seniorita i have ever seen flying was also an excelent and slow flyer. shoot the senior will fly with a .25 or .30 on it....not fast, but then again thats not supposed to be fast, plus its a big plane. illd actualy like to get a senior to have around to play with someday......gotta learn to fly better first, then worry about extranious toys
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

What in the world do you mean, "it wont do rolls stock"?? I do rolls all the time with my LT40, and it's completely stock, except for the landing gear configuration! Use your dual rates and pitch up a little just before you roll, you'll see what I mean. You dont even really have to use the dual rates, it will do it on low rate just fine.

ORIGINAL: plane_freek

A large easy to fly 40 sized trainer is the SIG LT40
I have the LT-40, got my wings on it last year, fun plane to fly, its can be a REAL FLOATER on really windy days, ive almost had it flying backwards one of the days, my instructor was doing it easily. It won't do rolls stock, but hammerheads, loops etc it will take it.