Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aileron Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aileron Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Ghostbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Problem

Greetings,

After several months of faithful service, my LT-40 developed a problem with the right aileron. (Note: I did do my preflight flight control checks and it looked ok before flight).

I took off yesterday and (despite having been trimmed out for many flights) the plane started rolling badly to the left, when I ran out of trim clicks I began to get very nervous. I called quickly for a landing and managed to settle her in without incident.

Anyway, upon inspection, the torque rod that actuates the right aileron had punched through the aileron structure, but not quite through the covering. Anyway, now the aileron is loose and has no up travel.

My question is whether I can remove the balsa above the torque rod and replace it then recover the aileron. Or, do I have to remove the aileron and replace it. I'm afraid if I replace just a small section of the aileron it won't be perfectly smooth.

Suggestions?

GB
Old 10-28-2002, 09:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aileron Problem

Not a big problem. Remove the covering and a little balsa from the top of the torque rod area and fill it up with epoxy or med CA (with accelerator), but don't fill it completely. Then, after it's cured, fill the remaining space with balsa filler and sand smooth. then patch the area with a piece of covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32778_7722.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	20723  
Old 10-28-2002, 10:22 PM
RussianFlyer

Default Same problem...:(

Hello Ghostbear,

I had the same problem on my LT-40 as well. However in my case the damage to the aileron from the torque rod was much less than on your plane. What MinnFlyer posted is very good advice. If the area where the torque rod is attached to the aileron is very badly damaged, it may be worth the effort to replace the aileron. One of my flying buddies warned me about the problem that could arise with the torque rods getting loose in the ailerons. I followed his advice and inspected the ailerons for play periodically and managed to stop the problem at the root (didn't want to mess up my beautiful first covering effort ). On my LT-40 the torque rod was slightly lifting a portion of the balsa right at the end tip of the torque rod. I could feel that through the covering and just proceeded to carefully remove/peel back the covering in that area and put fiberglass cloth in the area where the torque rod stresses the wood the most.(both ailerons got this remedy applied). Now it seems to be quite snug and tight and has worked great so far.

The method MinnFlyer suggested is probably going to give you great results and you can try to double it up with fiberglass cloth for extra insurance.

P.S: If you haven't already done so, consider adding some triangle stock to the base of the rudder. Mine came loose after about one season and was a rather easy and cheap fix.

Hope this helps.

RF
Old 10-28-2002, 11:56 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Minnflyer

I just hafta know? How do you get those nifty diagrams
Old 10-29-2002, 08:29 AM
$ircra$halot

Default Aileron Problem

Hi Ghostbear: You should definitely heed Russianflyer's advice. I had to re-kit my LT-40 due to the horizontal stab glue joint failing in flight. I now always reinforce the bottom of the horizontal, and both sides of the vertical stab with tri-stock, on all models that don't already call for it. As for the aileron problem, the same thing almost happened to me. I tried a temp. fix at the field using 4-landing gear straps one on each side of the torque rod (top and bottom) bolted together, and it has held for 4 years so far. Still the other advice you got on a fix for this problem is definitely better. Is it possible use this excuse to justify a new plane to the other half? I recently moved on to a Goldberg Tiger 2 WHAT A PLANE! I think I'll donate the old LT-40 to the club to use as a trainer.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:34 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Aileron Problem

If both sides are damaged,cct out damaged area and replace with hard wood,spruce,basswood,etc,I usually do this on building,then epoxy in place.If one side is damaged mix a mid or slow cure epoxy with milled fiber glass,fill the area almost full ,after it sets,even void with a filler,sand recover area,check trim,go fly.
ps.the glass makes it very strong.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Ghostbear

Default Thanks

I haven't inspected the damage yet, but I thank everyone for the suggestions, especially the great diagrams (Minnflyer).

As to the horizontal stab, I already made that mod, but if anyone else is reading this (with an LT-40) I concur that its an important thing to do.

Saturday is calling for snow and Sunday for highs of 33, so this weekend is probably a wash for flying. :-(

GB
Old 10-29-2002, 06:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aileron Problem

My pleasure. And since everyone likes my diagrams, here's another... (BTW Bob-NJ, I draw these diagrams with several programs, mostly, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dimensions. All by ADOBE)

Here's a way to prevent this problem to begin with. When you drill the hole for the aileron torque rod, drill the hole oversize by a good amount. Then fill the hole with epoxy and insert the torque rod. This does two things, it allows for a not-so-perfect hole alignment, and it gives the rod a nice big epoxy "sleeve" to strengthen the area.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32927_7722.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	20724