Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Senior Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig Kadet Senior Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 01:45 PM
jmneissa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Build

Hey guys I am very confused on what preticular glue to use on this preticular plane because it is so big It would take so many bottle of CA that it would cost me a fortune but Ilike this glue because it is quick and strong. However one of my friends has built a plane roughly the same size about 15 years with total epoxy it has survived 4 crashs and looks like he just finished it last month. But another one of my friends says to use wood glue because it is pretty strong and very light. Also aerospot says to use white glue. What do you guys think would be my best option

Matt
Old 11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for a good wood glue like Tite Bond II or Elmers makes a good one too. I think both are available at Home Depot and LHS's. I got my Tite Bond from Tower.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 PM
solafein

The glue of choice depends entirely upon situation and personal preference. I use wood glue for 90% of the joints. I throw in 30 min. epoxy and CA where their specific properties are required. Epoxy is heavy, so use sparingly. CA makes me nauseous, so I use it only when I have to, CA hinges is an example. People build beautiful planes using CA, and you don't have to wait as long, but sanding is a little more intensive. It still takes just as long as wood glue to fully cure, but sets up faster, much faster, sometimes with your finger as part of the joint. Your choices are: whatever you feel like using, but take it easy on the epoxy. Minnflyer wrote an excellent article in the magazine section on CA hinges, I would highly recommend reading it before you hinge anything.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 AM
joseislaughin

I am a newbie to this site.... I am a born again Stryker F-27 monkey ( have bought 3 fuselages now and I won't crash the latest one any time soon *knock on wood... but in a past life I flew gas rc planes

I had purchased the Kadet senior several years ago, and, well, see I lost the plans and instruction booklet (don't ask). Sig sells the plan for 10.25 and the instruction booklet for 4.25... I can get the whole kit (again) for 40.00 dollars.

My question to all you brethren on planet earth is...

Does anyone have a copy of the plans?

dxf or dwg???

maybe a pdf manual ???

Also, I saw an article about a guy who modified the sig kadet senior to be a mid wing!! Oh my heart skips beats thinking about the possibilities!

Any way any help on that would be so terrifilicious!!!!

Jose a, b, c, et al
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 AM
joseislaughin

ORIGINAL: joseislaughin

I am a newbie to this site.... I am a born again Stryker F-27 monkey ( have bought 3 fuselages now and I won't crash the latest one any time soon *knock on wood... but in a past life I flew gas rc planes

I had purchased the Kadet senior several years ago, and, well, see I lost the plans and instruction booklet (don't ask). Sig sells the plan for 10.25 and the instruction booklet for 4.25... I can get the whole kit (again) for 40.00 dollars.

My question to all you brethren on planet earth is...

Does anyone have a copy of the plans?

dxf or dwg???

maybe a pdf manual ???

Also, I saw an article about a guy who modified the sig kadet senior to be a mid wing!! Oh my heart skips beats thinking about the possibilities!

Any way any help on that would be so terrifilicious!!!!

Jose a, b, c, et al
[Knock, knock... Hi, I am sorry to bother you, would it be ok if I went in your backyard? I crashed my plane back there.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:11 AM
jmneissa

Hey Guys i finished half of the wing today and am happey so i started the second half when you built yours did you have to sand down the top rear spar quite a bit I did if you did how did you do it because it took me about a week to acomplish this.
Matt
Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM
jmneissa

Hey it been over a week any body out there. Well I have been moving on and am bashing through the second wing and hopefully in a weeks tim I will have it done.

Matt
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
bruce88123

We're here. I just didn't have an answer to question in previous post.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
solafein

I you have to remove large, or relatively large, amounts of balsa I would recommend conservative use of a razor plane. You can remove small amounts until you are close. 60 grit sandpaper or a fine file gets you even closer, and then blend with 220. I use a plane followed by 220 as I have removed too much due to idiocy with 60 grit.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
jmneissa

Ok well I seem to have a problem cutting the sheets of ply that fit inbetween the ribs any tips on how to make it look good because right now it looks like a dog just ripped through it I guess if i cant make it look perfect useing non see through monokote will only lt me know about how bad it looks

Matt
Old 11-17-2005, 08:32 PM
solafein

Sand, sand, sand, sand and when you get tired of that, drink a beverage of your choice and sand some more.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Unfortunately, the only way to make it look presentable is to get it close and then sand to fit. Otherwise you will either end up too small, or like my Pitt decided it looked yummy[:@]. I had examples of all three, evidence destroyed for conservation of self esteem.

Building any "finished" product with wood is basically a process of sanding, with minuscule moments of cutting and attaching thrown in. I bought a bedded/blank gun stock for my Weatherby and it took me nine months of sanding an hour a night to get it right. Luckily these planes don't require that much finish work.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Mike001

Matt,
How's it going? I just (about) finished my Kadet Senior kit- still have to install servos, shape the center wing triangle blocks, and cover...

Anyway, I had a problem with the top wing spar too. I think I must have glued it in so the spruce spar was on top. The pic in the manual makes it look like the spruce is on top. Well, the spruce is definitely on top on my wing, and sticking up a good 1/8-1/4 inch. I used a small modeling saw and a small knife to shape it down and then sand and sand and sand. It still looks rough. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll show you what it looks like. I think it will turn out okay since everyone says these things can fly almost no matter what. But it does not look pretty.

Where are you at in the build?
Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
solafein

Just a little tip.[&:]
I have had two Kadet Seniors, and they were both very nose heavy. Probably an understatement there. With an O.S. 46 LA in front I had to glue 13 oz. onto the firewall, on both planes.[X(]
Disregard the engine recommendations and go big. I just modified my surviving one to accept a Super Tigre G75 and a 16 oz. tank. I did not need to add balance weight. This plane flew well with the O.S., but I had the ST laying around and wanted to play around.[>:]
Cheers.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: solafein

Just a little tip.[&:]
I have had two Kadet Seniors, and they were both very nose heavy. Probably an understatement there. With an O.S. 46 LA in front I had to glue 13 oz. onto the firewall, on both planes.[X(]
Wouldn't that be "tail heavy."
Old 11-22-2005, 02:31 PM
solafein

Just checking to see if you were watching.
You really believe that, don't you?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 PM
bruce88123

Sure we do.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:58 AM
jmneissa

Hey guys I have finished the second wing and now am on to the firewall assembly but am having a problem fitting the engine onto the engine mount without the muffler hitting the side or if I move it up it just looke to high what should i do?

Matt
Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Standard procedure is to simply notch out the top of the right side cowel cheek for the muffler header. Do not raise the crankshaft center line from what is indicated on the plans as this will raise the carburator level sufficiently to cause fuel draw problems with the resulting inability to get the fuel tank high enough.

John
Old 12-03-2005, 09:22 AM
jmneissa

Hey Guys I started the fusealage because i decided that it would be better to install the engine when I ahd the fusealage built to get the best fit for the engine also I finaly got to my country house and saw an arf I recieved as a birthday present but did not get to fly it because it used an evolution engine which works best with 10 to 15 nitro but my fuel that i had there was 5-10 and i decided not to fly but wait until i got the correct mfuel to run the engine at best.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:15 AM
jmneissa

Hey you guys there I have been working hard and have finished half the fuselage and am going to star the other half soon hopefully before this saturday when i leave for a 3 week christmas vacation anyway i was looking at the plans and i noticed that when i mount my firewall to the body it will be at a greater decrease then 6 degrees also how did you guys mont your sevos inside your body because there are no real clear pictures of this

Matt
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
solafein

There is a servo tray mounted on the thrust line between the third and fourth formers. Rudder on the left, elevator on the right and throttle in front. Mine is an ARF but it has lots of down thrust to increase the lift capabilities of the wing. Here are some pic's from the plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45698.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	368495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32547.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	368496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17692.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	368497  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 AM
jmneissa

Thanks lots of help from that it cleared it all up for me i am now moving on to building the second side of the fuse and am making quick work of it hope ully it will be done before i leave for three weeks
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM
bruce88123

Do not install the feet. Have a good vacation. 3 weeks? Nice.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
solafein

The feet help mine, they make it "run" better.
Haw!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
jmneissa

Hey Guys I stopped doing this forum to catch up with my build I now have the tail done the wings done and the fusealage allmost done. However I am have a hard time mounting the engine I ordered the muffler extension piece so that I could move my engine lower down so that it is more centered in the firewall can somebody tell me how to know where to postion the engine in the firewall because I am a newbie I do not know how to do it

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.