Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st choice for 2nd plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st choice for 2nd plane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 08:45 PM
jus4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st choice for 2nd plane?

I am new to the RC world and this stuff is like CRACK! I am hooked.
I have joined a club and I am learning to fly my Hobbico Superstar 40 trainer. I have read a lot about having your second plane started so you will have it ready when you crash your first. This is where I could use some direction. Which plane would be a good 2nd plane for a beginner that loves this stuff? I appreciate any input ya'll have.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 09:25 PM
Barricade696

Hi I also started this hobby with a hobbico superstar. And I was in the same position you are in now what to get, what do I really want to do with a plane. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do aerobatics. I looked hard and I made what everybody else thought was a leap to a greatplanes extra 300 40 size. I first put the os la 40 in the thing way to tail heavy. Now I have a Saito 80 but what I should of done is gone with a os 75 for the real power. But it does have verticle and I love it. If you want to make the jump it is not a problem. Some other people who respond to this post may recomend that you get an stick of some kind you can go to www.horizonhobby.com to look at them you can use the same engine you have now. You may be into scale flying and you could easily fly a cub. It all depends on what you want to do.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:23 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Here are some Options

Sig Somthin Extra
any Stick style plane
4* 40 or 60
Tiger 60
Venture 60

The SE willl be more aerobatick than the others but it just depends on what you want to do. This question has be asked hundreds of times on this forum. Click on search above and enter criteria such as "2nd plane", "2nd", "second plane", "second" etc and you will get all of the answers.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend a Hobbico Avistar for a trainer.
Visit this link for a recommended second plane.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Steve Guinn

It is written. Every second aircraft must be a Stick.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:51 PM
chris540

How about a sig mid star 40
Old 11-15-2002, 12:38 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say it depends on how long your trainer lasts, I started with a 40- eagle2 it was too big, very little help at the field, (closed now) so I quit and that was 10 years ago, now I started back with electrics (a stick) I fly at the schoolyard and am working on a 1/2a glow for the spring.....Rog

oh the 1/2a glow is an Ace simple extra with a Norvel .074
Old 11-15-2002, 12:49 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default 2nd Plane

Originally posted by chris540
How about a sig mid star 40
This is my personal favorite as a second plane. It is easy to build and adds more to the learning curve than most any other choice. I know the sticks are popular and I have a few students with them. The learning curve is better with a plane that still allows time to think and learn. This was proven with an age 50+ and a teenage student this season.

EXCAP232
Old 11-15-2002, 01:38 AM
Wh00ps

Default Second plane

I can't say enough good things about my second plane, a Four Star 60. (may she rest in pieces)

With a GMS .76 up front, I could do all the aerobatics I wanted, had almost unlimited vertical, yet could drop the flaperons and fly it around slower (yes, I said slowER) than my trainer. Perhaps that last bit was because I never got quite that good while flying my trainer... I'll have to try it sometime... =]

Seriously though, I was getting discouraged flying my trainer, and thought that I would never learn to do aerobatics. Then I got the 4-star. In a matter of a few flying sessions, I was doing snap rolls, cuban-8's, and inverted passes. The 4-star is the perfect mix of trainer-like forgiveness and smoothness and aerobatic performance capability. And the extra size of the 60-size model helps for visibility and flight stability. And the 60 is now available as either an easy-building kit or in ARF form.

Well, I still haven't said enough, but I've said enough for now.

Wh00ps!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:32 AM
rik1024

Try a great planes easy sport 40 that is what i am building right now. I am still on a trainer but a Friend that is teaching me to fly has 2 of them. They fly great and make a great 2nd plain or3 or4 or5
Old 11-15-2002, 01:34 PM
jus4fun

Thanks for all your input. I have got a lot on information from this wonderful forum.

I am looking forward to getting a new plane. I am leaning toward the SIG SE in the 40 size. I really like the look of the plane and I am wanting to get a little more arobatic, but not to crazy.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:48 PM
WDWings

Pardon my ignorance (I'm a newbie), but what exactly is a stick plane? How do they differ? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:32 PM
DSJBEAN

I vote for either the Midstar or either 4* the 40 or the 60. We have them all. The Midstat actually des really cool snap rolls.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick plane: n. ( stîk-plàn) Any airplane that looks like, flies like, or is copied after an airplane that originated in the 60's known as "Das Ugly Stick".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35755_7722.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	22658  
Old 11-17-2002, 12:29 AM
mancha

the original "das ugly stick" was inspierdin the WWI german plane Fokker eindeker is has a fus type of the box-kites of that era although has semi or simetrical wings, the desing can take a lot of punishment because of it´s boxy fuselage and is a mid wing, mid wing is easier to fly than low wing and a perfect transition from high wing trainer types plane.
the GP dazzler and the SIG ES-40 won´t take the punishment relate to landing a faster plane as good as a stick´s BOXY type planes.-
there are even sticks desing to be extremely aebatic such as the super stick from H9.-
STICKS are a perfect second plane is you did good with your trainer, going to a scale aerobatic plane in the 40 range as a second plane is o.k. if you were aGOOD studentonly!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 04:02 AM
bdtsr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For an inexpensive 2nd plane that will fly very nice with a standard .40, try the Hobbico Brightstar. I have flown this plane and for the money you can't beat it! Please use caution when picking a second plane. Some people can move up to aerobatic planes very quickly. As an instructor, this is something I don't advise. I watched as $800 plus dollars came screaming down from the sky (Sig Cap 231EX w/Saito 180) for 2 reasons: Lack of experience and because the person would NOT listen to those with experience. I have not seen this person since then. Kinda like sex, we all want it as fast as we can get it, but sometimes waiting might be better! Yes, I am a graduate of NSU and can vouch for this!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:30 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Minnflyer, is that the original Das? Or model tech? I gotta find home for a YS 53!~) Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Joe
Old 11-18-2002, 05:01 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Another good plane would be an Ultra Sport. It is a low wing plane but still has good forgiving attitude. Yet allows you to explore aerobatics as well. check out the link.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL5171&P=1
Old 11-18-2002, 06:35 AM
David_Moen

I agree with the US40+ reccomendation, after all I'm building one as a second plane this winter, but you must be clear, as nobody has finished one of these yet so we're just hoping things are just as the manufacturer says they are!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:26 PM
adrian-RCU

stik,stik,stik,ultra stik!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:12 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Opinions

Yes they are like noses. Everybody's got one. For the pilot who wants to burn holes in the sky and is not concerned with exactly where the "stick" planes are a blast. Not the best flying planes however and one soon learns this when a point roll is attempted. While it is possible to mix much of this with a computer radio it never will be really good. As far as the learning curve most pilots I have trained recently progress faster with other planes like the Sig star series or Somethin Extra. Same results with retired and teen beginners. The Mid star is one of the best combination of manuverable and stable planes available. I also have flown/owned a number of sticks from the Midwest kits to the Joss Sick that is now available as an ARF. Even have an original Jensen Das Ugly stick framed up <vbg>. My experience. My opinion.

EXCAP232
Old 11-29-2002, 07:45 AM
ebeygin

two words:

My avatar!!!

-eugn