Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which way do starters turn?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which way do starters turn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:23 PM
apward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way do starters turn?

Are electric starters meant to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

<rest of post can be ignored, it just explains why I'm asking>

Folks, many thanks for everybody's help in getting my fuel tank filled up and stopping me from taking the plane out without instruction.

I did take the plane to the field (a deserted Kittanning) on Saturday but luckily a member stopped by and bet me that I would kill the plane within 1 min if I took it up. That did it.

So I left the wing off but thought I'd still spark the engine up and warm it up. And perhaps taxi about a bit. Must have spent about 2 hours with various chicken sticks (bottles, umbrellas etc.) trying to get it started with absolutly no luck.

Disheartened I drove to the fantastic J&C Hobbies (another great recommendation from here) and got an electric starter. I took the battery out of my bike and snipped the bannana plug ends off the starter wires to connect it. Ooops. I now have no idea which wire is neutral. Hence my question.

Alex
Old 11-19-2002, 07:27 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turns either way

apward,
The electric starters are made to turn either way, according to which way you hook it up. Normally when you hook it up, it is made to turn counterclockwise, but if you need to, such as the case sometimes when using a starting belt, you cn change the direction by hooking it up the other way (reversing the polarity).
Tommy
Old 11-19-2002, 07:28 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Default electric starter

clockwise, if you're looking at it from the cone end. You're motor will turn over and run with the prop turning counter-clockwise, when looking at it from the front of the airplane.

Jon
Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Facing the engine, the starter should spin the prop counter-clockwise. I'm sure you noticed glow engines can be a little finicky at times. They need to be broken in properly. Thought about getting some hands on help to do that?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:44 PM
apward

Right, the started should drive the prop the same way as I was trying to manually crank it. OK, that was my guess but I thought I'd make sure.

Thanks all.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:54 PM
apward

Mike, I'd love to get some help with it. It's a new toy though and I'm finding it very hard to resist meddling.

I am trying, I had planned to get some instruction on Saturday but my coach couldn't make it. It was raining and bitterly cold.

I'm off to a local club meeting on Thursday so will try to wait until then. It's a struggle though.

At least I'm getting lots of practice on the G2.

Alex
Old 11-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Sal_11

Alex, I know how you feel, I have been staring at my plane for the last 4 weeks, have been flying only twice because of the weather. Once in a while, I start the engine and taxi in my driveway but after getting the feel of flying it, taxing is just no fun. I pay more attention to the weather forecast than my work . You'll get lots of help at the ARCS meeting today. Hope to see you there!

Sal