Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Good simulators to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Good simulators to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 01:53 PM
SocMan18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good simulators to get?

Im wondering what are some pretty good simulators to get.

Im looking for ones less then $150.

it looks like i might just get the simulator and fly it around this winter and then buy a plane come around march when it gets warmer...

this way ill get practice, and hopefully find a club to join and get hooked up with some pro's that will be able to help me fly when the time comes.

also, so i can save up some extra $$$ for better plane
Old 11-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Sal_11

Good idea.....the other thing you could do is build it this winter and fly it in march (if you can wait that long ).
Old 11-21-2002, 02:13 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I'd go with Realflight G2.

Mike
Old 11-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Steve Lewin

I'd go with the FMS simulator, which is free from http://simulator.home.pages.de/ Then I'd spend the money on a plane and have it built and ready to fly as soon as the weather improves.

Steve
Old 11-21-2002, 04:40 PM
apward

Not having had experience in other simulators or even real flying yet I can't vouch for ones other than G2.

G2 however is exceptional, comes with a radio mockup so you are even getting muscle memory in your thumbs as you practise on it. I payed around $200 but you may be able to get it second hand for your price.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:35 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

I love my G2!

Yes, it runs around $200 but you can get the 'Lite' version for about $130 or so.

Also, if you order from Tower Hobbies you can get the full version on Easy Pay. They'll break up your payments so you only pay 1/3 upfront then 1/3 a month, interest free.

C.P.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:46 PM
Tattoo

FMS is the way to go to learn your basic reactions and save money for your airplane. It's nothing fancy but gets the job done well. If your into computer graphics and realism, and have the bucks, go with a simulator you have to pay for. You can also get a cable here:
http://fms1.mattclement.com/
That you can use with your real transmitter that will work with FMS. Before you by a cable though, make darn sure of the Tx connection as well as compadibility with your computer's operating system. A lot of trainees in our area have started out this way, and it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to real flying day!

BTW, FMS will also work fine with a simple joystick if you have one. Even though the "feel" is different than an R/C Tx, the directional control in your brain is the same as flying with a Mode 2 Tx and even this is a good start to get used to the airplane flying towards you...the cool part is that if you have a joystick, you can download FMS and be flying in several minutes
Old 11-21-2002, 05:54 PM
SocMan18

how does FMS compare to RealFlight? Control wise i mean.

Is the only big difference the graphics?

All i care about is the feel of how to fly...so are both about identical?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Ghostbear

Default G2

I've never used FMS, but I have G2.

If you can use FMS with a real radio (which you might not have yet), then I'd be hesitant to say spend $200 on G2.

The biggest thing you get from a sim (prior to flying) is coordination of your thumbs. What you can't get on any computer is a good sense of situational awareness. Also, prior to having flown, you don't really know how "real" the sim is. Once you fly a few times you can understand where the sim may not be quite real and make adaptions based on that.

After you learn to fly, and get an idea of how a plane reacts in the sky, then something like G2 can really help with learning basic aerobatics and such.

That being said, G2 is worth the price as a computer game. Its a lot of fun.

Did you ever try to contact the club in Piqua? The Wingmasters in Dayton supposedly have a very large training program.

Tim
Old 11-21-2002, 08:46 PM
glowplug

I think the most important thing is to be able to use an actual transmitter.......if you can get the tx interface for FMS as Tattoo mentioned, then definitely go with FMS instead of paying $200 for G2 if you're only interested in learning to fly........on the other hand, G2 is very fun....even long after you've learned how to fly.....one of my favorite features is the ability to fly with others online via the Multiplayer mode.

Mike
Old 11-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get G2 Lite.
Has the same graphics as G2 with less cost and functionality.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:16 AM
germanwhp

Default G2 simulator

I have a Mac ---- nough said there --- so should I desire to get the G2 sim, which pc system must I first purchase so I can run the G2, being a newbie, which options should I purchase to have the most realistic sim system ..... (doesn't make much sense to say gee I wish I would have ...).
The only thing that I would be using the pc for would be the sim.
Thanks
gwhp