Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

another "fly without an instructor" question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

another "fly without an instructor" question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

Fwiw, I totally agree with what Chuck just said. I'm not against guys learning on their own, and I that plenty have in the past.

But I also do a lot of flight instruction, and from what I've seen the vast majority of students I've worked with would never have managed to learn on their own. Not all, I have had a few "natural" students who only needed a couple of lessens and were off in no time. But they are the rare minority.

Also, the aircraft selected for a trainer, second, and even third airplane can make a huge difference in learning by yourself, while with an instructor, the aircraft is a much less important element, and the choice of a second and third airplane matters even less as far as exact model goes.

There's not a glow trainer on the market that I'd recommend to anyone flying by themselves, fwiw. If nothing else, every one of them can have problems due to being mass-produced products. With out help, you'll never know if it's your or the plane.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Willdo

Chuck,
Hope you use earmuffs with the pipes! - you must have good understanding neighbours!
Did you need a buddy box to learn?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Montague

Fwiw, I totally agree with what Chuck just said. I'm not against guys learning on their own, and I that plenty have in the past.

But I also do a lot of flight instruction, and from what I've seen the vast majority of students I've worked with would never have managed to learn on their own. Not all, I have had a few "natural" students who only needed a couple of lessens and were off in no time. But they are the rare minority.

Also, the aircraft selected for a trainer, second, and even third airplane can make a huge difference in learning by yourself, while with an instructor, the aircraft is a much less important element, and the choice of a second and third airplane matters even less as far as exact model goes.

There's not a glow trainer on the market that I'd recommend to anyone flying by themselves, fwiw. If nothing else, every one of them can have problems due to being mass-produced products. With out help, you'll never know if it's your or the plane.
That pretty much says it all. Again.

This stuff keeps comming up -- over & over & over -- the answer is still the same.

There are a few fortunate types (usually young video-game enthusists) who are naturals, & can get there alone with only a few crashes, but most will dig a lot of expensive holes -- many times over, in some cases. Very occasionally there are some who will never get there, even with all of the best training aids & good instructors.

Going it alone is not a recommended path. Period.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a student the other day say something that I never really thought about but it made good sence. " You know Red as the instructor you have been accepting ALL the responsability for keeping this plane in one piece, NOW that we are flying lower and starting landings I can see where I now have to accept that responsibility and pray when I goof you are able to save me again "

I thought it was kind of cool that he realized that on his own it would have been a lot harder and more expensive. Made me feel good if nothing else.

If you can get help --- go for it, it's not really worth it if you don't have to do it alone, besides it can be more fun with someone else, especially if they become more then just an instructor. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: roltech
But like some one else mentioned you don't have to get an instructor or join a club. we all would like to really see all RC's to join a club and get an instructor, but so far it's not the law here anyways. and to push the issue to anyone who are not, is IMOP it's not right, the only reason we would like to see all to join, is to protect us, from bad rep, and safety, of others.
Self protection is far from the only reason many of us strongly recommend club membership and instruction. We also do it because we know that the odds of success are much higher and that someone with a positive learning experience, rather than many cycles of crash/repair, is much more likely to stay with the hobby.

As far as the assertion that we shouldn't be "pushing the issue", this is a beginner's forum. People come here for advice. Many of us will do what we can to make sure people know ALL OF THE FACTS, rather than just responding "go for it" when someone comes here saying they are thinking of going it on their own. It's fairly common for someone to consider trying on their own because a) they think instruction will be expensive, b) they think flying is easier than it really is or c) they think there are no nearby clubs. Having a frank discussion about these issues helps the potential student learn their options. If at the end of the discussion, they still decide to go it on their own, so be it, at least it's an informed decision.
And that too:

roltech
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Mode One

Remember, there is more then just Mode Two, also. If needing help with Mode One, send'um my way. (I know, if there complaining about driving 50 miles to meet up with an instructor, why would I think they'd drive thousands, to fly Mode One? Oh, that's right, because after all, it is Mode One)!