Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

(In reply to WHOM)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Save R/CU's automatic (In Reply To) feature.
34.78%
Remove this feature (it causes confusion).
56.52%
Other
8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

(In reply to WHOM)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (In reply to WHOM)

I realize this is likely being posted in the wrong topic forum. However, this is one of the topics I visit the most, as there is good traffic here and many diversified topics are discussed.

I don't like when I post to a topic in any of the forums, R/CUniverse automatically places (In reply to ______) in the bottom right corner of the Edit Box. This (In reply to) unless directed by the respondent to do else wise, uses the respondent just previous, as the person whom is being responded to, even though 90% of the time no one may be being responded to and the respondent is simply voicing his opinion on the topic.

At the least, this causes confusion and has even caused ill will on more then one occasion! Leave the Quote, and other buttons at the upper right of the Edit Box, as they ARE useful. However, I think this automatic feature should be disabled.

What do you think? Save the (In Reply To_____) Feature, or simply remove this feature from R/CUniverse.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: (In reply to WHOM)

I agree, throw it out. I've seen it cause many an argument. While you may in reality be commenting on something said 3 or 4 post prior, it says in reply to the last person posted. Then that person thinks your comments were directed at him personally & gets offended. From there the thread heads straight south until it gets too far out of hand & by the time Ken sees where the thread has gone, the original thread itself has been forgotten entirely & Ken has had enough & it's lock-down time.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

If you use the fast reply at the bottom, I don't think that it puts In reply to, does it?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:12 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Whoops, apparently I just answered my own question . I have never paid any attention at all to that. Guess my vote will be for removing it
Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Mode One

Elenasgrumpy, For being a grumpy codger, you hit the nail SQAR on the head!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Personally, I think it is useful, but it should only be added to the post if the post is made by using the "Reply To" button on a specific post. If the Generic "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page is used, then it should be omitted.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
scolpit

Well... in reply to krossk... i would say.. remove this feature.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

I agree, throw it out. I've seen it cause many an argument. While you may in reality be commenting on something said 3 or 4 post prior, it says in reply to the last person posted. Then that person thinks your comments were directed at him personally & gets offended. From there the thread heads straight south until it gets too far out of hand & by the time Ken sees where the thread has gone, the original thread itself has been forgotten entirely & Ken has had enough & it's lock-down time.
As you will see I used the reply link in the top right corner to reply to post #2, then used the quote button in the top left corner to copy Mark's comments. It now says "in reply to elanasgrumpy" and not the last post in the thread but actually who I replied to.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
elenasgrumpy

Oh sure, now that Bubba day has officially come & gone, now you have all the answers where were you yesterday mister?

"Grumpy Codger"?[sm=punching.gif] Who, What, Where did he go? Hold me back, I might lose this fight![&:]
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
elenasgrumpy

By the way Bill I hope all is well with your Family, I saw your post yesterday explaining your recent abscense. Best wishes from mine to yours!!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
bubbagates

I appreciate that Mark. I certainly do.

I just re-read my earlier post and it sounded a tad bit negative. It really was not meant that way as I was just showing that it could be done as everyone was hoping for.

Just like yesterday when someone pointed to me that there was a glossary for R/C terms and I did not know it even existed. <shrug> So see I'm also not totally up on the workings of the RCU software. But ya gotta admit, it does allot and that's not including all the custom stuff that has been written into it over time.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

Personally i never paid to much attention to it, but i also have seen it cause some miss understandings as mentioned. This is by no means directed at anyone, but one thing i have learned in this hobby you got to grow thick skin and learn to laugh at yourself because sooner or later you will get some ribbing at the field
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh mark, in post #10 you replied to yourself. Is that the same as talking to yourself? [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I vote to keep the function. I participate regularly in a couple boards that don't have this function and it's even more confusing. I also participate in one that doesn't even have a convenient quote function, talk about painful!

Anyway, 99% of the time I use the reply button that is within the box of an individual post. This ensures that the reply to field in my post has the correct person (note what it says in this post). I also frequently include some or all of the person's post if I feel doing so will make the context of my comment more clear. Examples of this would extracting a small portion of the post, such as a question, or quoting a specific post when the person I am responding to recently made more than one post. This certainly is more work than just hitting the add reply button at the top or bottom of the thread, but I think it helps put my replies in context.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Gosh mark, in post #10 you replied to yourself. Is that the same as talking to yourself? [sm=bananahead.gif]
What's even worse is he answered himslef. Now if he gets into an argument with himself and loses then he has real problems [X(]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Mode One

Accidental double post again, sorry!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Mode One

Huh, Piper and I disagree for once! Who'd a thunk it!

If you use the "Reply" button, great! If you don't then the reply is to the person posting just ahead of you, whether that is to whom you are replying or not. You don't feel this is confusing? Can you explain why you don't?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
bruce88123

Mode One - You could always show the courtesy of addressing your replies if needed. Doesn't take long.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

What's even worse is he answered himslef. Now if he gets into an argument with himself and loses then he has real problems [X(]

Okay I don't remember anything being discussed about Tuesady being "Pick On Grumpy Day!" But if it is now, when should I expect my Moderator check in the mail?[sm=idea.gif]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Mode One

I'm discourtious?!?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 AM
elenasgrumpy

Heck I didn't even know how to do the reply, then quote thing till Bill just showed his example this morning. And I haven't figured out how to use just the portion of the quote that is relevant like Chuck was talking about. Guess I can pretty much forget about that Moderator check huh?[:@]

Now that I have learned how to fly, where do I find a buddy box & Instructor for this confuser I'm playing on?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
piper_chuck

And I haven't figured out how to use just the portion of the quote that is relevant like Chuck was talking about.
Give me a few minutes, I'll make an example of you while I'm eating lunch.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM
elenasgrumpy

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

And I haven't figured out how to use just the portion of the quote that is relevant like Chuck was talking about.

Example of me? Now you're scaring me. Am I gonna get bloody on this one?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I'm discourtious?!?
I didn't say that. I stated that it would be a courtesy to address your comments to make sure the right person received the comment.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:31 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Example of me? Now you're scaring me. Am I gonna get bloody on this one?[sm=confused.gif]
Ok, lunch is over. Nobody's going to get bloody. I put it in a picture because the quotes have a habit of disappearing.

Edit: added a second example, and then fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39460.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	422005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31950.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	422006  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.