Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Computer Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Computer Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM
ABELL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Radio

I am looking to buy a 6 ch computer radio. Which is the best buy ? The Tower or the Futaba ? You can get the Tower and 6 servos for less than you can get the Futaba and 4 servos. The online manuals read about the same they have the same features and they even look the same. Is it worth the extra bucks to get the Futaba?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Computer Radio

I think the Tower is made by Futaba. You will be fine with either one. Consider getting the least-expensive one to learn on. Upgrade later, when you have some more experience and know more about features you would like to have.

Alternatively, you can ask your instructor to compare the features on the radios and see which one he/she would recommend. I think this is the best option. Who knows, your instructor may have an extra one that you can use while you decide which radio to buy.

Good luck!!
And, as always...Welcome to the end of 'free time' and 'disposable income' as you now know them.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JSP16000**

Don't count this one out before you make a decision. Not saying which is better, that's a presonal choice thing like Ford & Chevy.

But I do think this is a great price for a nice 6 Ch, Computer radio. I have several Futabas, but after getting a JR 6102, I rarely even pick the Futabas up anymore. One other thing concerning the Tower cloan of the Futabas. My Tower Trainer came with a 4 Ch Tower radio & last week I couldn't use it anymore because as soon as I release my finger from the power swtich it slides back down just enough to turn the radio back off. It is less than a year old so they will take care of it but now I have to go thru the hassle of shipping it back to them & waiting to get re-imbersed for the shipping.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
tadracket

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

I rarely even pick the Futabas up anymore.
20 20 20 do I hear 35.... 35 35 35 35 40 35 can I get a 40 40.... 45 45 45
Old 03-17-2006, 09:54 AM
elenasgrumpy

Lol you're in the wrong forum, the auction is next door.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:05 AM
tadracket

If I were just getting into the sport, I would be looking here and on EvilBay for used radios. I did not have much of a choice when I started flying, but I know a few people that put hundreds of $ into the sport only to crash and burn, get frustrated, just up and quit. Have you consider buying a used radio Abell? I know a good auctioneer that might know of a couple Futabas laying around
Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Mode One

I would get with an instructor first. He may be using a manufactrurer you haven't considered. The world does not spin on a Futaba Axis, only. Nothing against Futaba, or any of them. It's just there are more important questions needing answers to, then which manufacturer should I buy. Also, all of them are worth the price you will pay for them and they are all pretty competitively priced.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:52 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: tadracket

If I were just getting into the sport, I would be looking here and on EvilBay for used radios. I did not have much of a choice when I started flying, but I know a few people that put hundreds of $ into the sport only to crash and burn, get frustrated, just up and quit. Have you consider buying a used radio Abell? I know a good auctioneer that might know of a couple Futabas laying around
Good suggestion. I bought my first radio that way. It was a futaba am and was gold stickered so I knew it was up to current standards. If you are patient, you can get a great deal on ebay. I once forgot to bid on a basic hitec focus four channel system (FM) and it ended up selling for around $30 complete. Some of these older systems do not have trainer ports, but I only have used my trainer port for my simulator cord and FMS.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
ABELL

Instructor uses Futaba but says to check with you guys on the Tower deal. Right now I use a tower 4 ch analog but really like dual rate feature on his radio. He recommended a 6 ch computer if I was going to stick with the hobby. I have never been as addicted to anything like I am this hobby. I thought turkey hunting was addicting but season has been in for a week and I havn't been to the woods yet only the flying field. Instructor said the 6 ch computer radio would do me for many years of up grades if pocket book would allow. Told him pocket would allow but wife might not!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:12 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mnrcaerobat

ORIGINAL: tadracket

Good suggestion. I bought my first radio that way.
Actually, I disagree with the idea of a beginner buying a used radio from an unknown source. It's far too easy to end up with something that's being sold because it has a problem. The last thing a beginner needs is to be fighting radio glitches. Now, if they can find one locally, such as through the club, that's known to not have problems, that's a completely different situation.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Mode One

I'm with ya Chuck on this one.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:26 AM
elenasgrumpy

I gotta agree with Chuck & Mode one. They're just to affordable these days to buy someone else's headache, and in buy anything used you run the risk of doing just that.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Glen Wearden

Three years ago, I bought the Futaba 6 channel/receiver/4 servos combo from Tower for $149.99. Since then, I've flown all my planes on channel 29 using the same equipment. I bought a flight pack for a new plane, but now since I've had some crashes, I've got plenty of equipment. The only thing I have replace is one receiver battery and a servo that got stripped in a crash. I'm sold on Futaba. Glen
Old 03-18-2006, 11:06 AM
vt325xi

I bought the Futaba 6EXA and it came with a decent flight pack for around $159. So basically the radio was around $60. This is a 6 channel, 6 model memory, computer radio. It has all mixing a beginner to intermediate will need. I think if you buy the helicopter one, you could fly choppers later on in life with it as well as planes. I went on to buying a Hitec Eclipse 7 Spectrum and I still use my Futaba on some planes or as a trainer. It drives me crazy when I see some of the old timers flying their snazzy $1000 airplane using a 1980's 4 channel old school radio. Just the luxury of model memory and trims makes it worth it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXHYK7**&P=0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51949.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	428359