Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
4 Trainers to choose from... >

4 Trainers to choose from...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 Trainers to choose from...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Trainers to choose from...

Cool! I admire your tenacity!!! Did you ever get a hold of Tim Tong in Oxford? I also know a guy named Barret who used to fly out of Winfield but we've lost touch over the last couple years. I just can't believe your alone there in Winfield. Maybe you could get something started? I know there used to be a hobby store in Ark City too. Thanks for the reviews on the Debby How's it going with the hand launching?

Our next combat meet is January 19th. And we'll also be out at Afton for the NewYear's Freeze fly on New Years day!
Old 12-26-2002, 12:16 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, I exchanged some e-mails with Tim. He expressed that he had not been doing much flying recently. Consequently we never met up. I have considered joining the club in Wellington, but I'm kind of tossed on the subject. To be honest, I don't know how frequently I would drive the 30-40 mins over there to fly when I can do it out in the middle of no where over here. It could be said that I might miss the camaraderie/tutelage, but then I have been told by members that there is rarely anyone out at the field. Those factors kind of cut into my motivation.

There was a hobby store in Ark City called "Frog's" if I remember right. They closed & I saw a store by the same name open in Derby on K-15. Then they closed.

I have still yet to attempt the hand launch. I did try it without the engine running and throwing it down a big hill in an effort to work up my technique. That was largely unsuccessful as I don't think that you can throw it hard enough for it to glide well without power.

There is a New Year's day fly in Wellington as well. I would like to go to either that or Afton, however I have already put the combat meet on the 19th on the calender.

Hope to see you then.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:59 AM

Dang! What really blows me away is the one of the country's Largest Hitech dealers (Servo City) is in Winfield!

Hope to see you on the 19th!
Old 12-27-2002, 08:51 PM

I got my superstar 40 for $299.00 American.

The 4 Channel is a Futaba 4 channel radio, works great, Although I did upgrade to a 6 channel for 40 dollars more, so I can use it later on.

Haven't flown her yet, so I can't comment on her "Flyability" but I've been told it's the best by several people I trust to know.

Easy to assemble, I purchased the ARF, not the RTF. Wouldn't want to get discouraged by buying one that hasn't been assembled at all, that'll probably be my third plane.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:37 AM

The Hobbico superstar select 40 and the Avistar select 40 are both 299 US from tower hobbies both are great flying planes and have all radio gear and the engine intalled for you. It takes about 15 minutes to finish putting the plane together and after an overnight charge to the batteries you are ready to go.
Axeman I learned on the superstar and it is indeed a nice flying plane. I would suggest that you use 30 minute epoxy on the wing halfs instead of just using that strap and a few screws. It will be ok like that for a few flight but it will start to seperate if you don't epoxy it together.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:23 AM

Ok i will look at the hobbico planes, but i think i will buy the thing seperately so that i can get get a computer radio (good choice?)and the engine i want, even it it costs more.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 AM

For a good entry level radio the HiTech flash 4 or 5 are good value.

for an engine the Thunder tiger 46pro is probably best value for money or the gms47