Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
4 Trainers to choose from... >

4 Trainers to choose from...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 Trainers to choose from...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Trainers to choose from...

Ok here we go

If you want to get in the air cheap, quick and not worry about what may suit you 12 months away Addies has a package for $495Aud, Hitec laser 4, OS40LA, Classic trainer.

if i was starting again this is how i would go.
Hitec laser 6 or flash 5 $375ish with nicads and charger.
TT46 pro $170 or GMS47 $175ish
Almost any ARF trainer any wher from $130 up but most are around $150 there all pretty even these days and of reasonably high standard.
IMHO dont waste your time and money building a trainer, for the same price as building one you get in the air much quicker with an ARF with half the cry factor if you stick it in.

as for other gear,
Fuel 0% nitro is fine but dont go over 10%
a glow plug heater set up from $10 to $70.
electric starter $40 ish ( i love my fingers)
Fuel pump $20

any way good luck, the invit to come and fly at the club still stands, we should be flying this sunday (if the weather is nice)
Old 12-13-2002, 03:32 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I recently got back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. While I"m capable of flying aircraft such as the Ugly Stik and Sig Kobra, I chose a trainer to get me reaquainted with the hobby. I purchased a Superstar 40 RTF. While this airplane flies docile enough for a trainer, I think a Sig Kadet flies better. A word of caution for newbies flying the Superstar. The plane has some design flaws that need to be corrected before you fly: Instead of just using the bolts and nuts provided to hold the tail together, use 30 min epoxy as well. Also balance your propellor, this is very important due to the cheesy engine mounting system. My first flight resulted in the engine nearly falling off the mounts due engine bolt nuts working loose. I also used LocTite on those nuts. Have had no problem since. One other thing, You may lose the firewall on a rough landing, I beefed mine up after I hit the nose hard on landing. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:30 PM

Ok, I am now definetly looking at not buying a package, but what good trainers are there which do not come in package form. Also what good radios are there. Because of my new job my budget is now about $800, but i can go a little over that. (400 or so american)

Woodsy, thanks for the advice, i will look into all the parts you have listed. What club do you fly at? If it is not too far away I might be able to come on Sun, just gotta see how this weekend goes.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 09:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Like I mentioned before:

Hobbico Avistar Monokote: $109.00
TT 46 Pro: $ 74.99
Hitec Flash 5X: $169.99

If you would prefer the JR 5 channel (421EX) computer radio to the Hitec 5 channel computer it can be had for $179.99 so your total would be $363.98.

I'd say that is a much better deal than the prepacked combo's.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:13 PM

Ok coomarlin I think i may buy pretty much waht you suggested, but I have heard bad thinkg about JR radios. What is the best brand of radio, and are all fubata 6 chanel radios computerized? I am looking at the Avistar 40, but what is the difference between the one with monokote and the MKII? Also, I havent had a look at engines so are there any brands to aviod or any which are quite good?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 10:12 AM

IMHO ther is almost no such thing as a "bad" radio.

best features for price has to be HiTech either computer (flash and eclipse) or not (laser).
from ther the next best value is JR followed by Futaba, if i had a spare $1000 or 2 i'd go with the JR 38 series, because i dint i fly with HiTech.

For a trainer if you not sure go with V-Mar, but as i said al the ARF trainers are much the same IMHO.

i fly at SWAMPS down near Lang Lang if i'm too far away but most clubs fly on Sundays .

if i'm not call me 0418376855
Old 12-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Get the "Hobbico Avistar 40 II MonoKote ARF" instead of the MK II or AWARF or whatever they call it. It is covered in Monokote instead of a generic covering. It cost $10.00 more, but it's worth it. I just saw where tower is selling it for $99.99 american.

JR is not a bad radio. In fact a lot of top-tier pilots use JR equipment. Like the previous poster said there is not a bad radio on the market. My first radio was a Hitec Flash 5X. I wanted a computer radio with multiple model memory that wouldn't break the bank. I was very happy with it, but eventually wanted more than 5 channels and stepped up to a Futaba 9CAP. But being in your position the 5X or the 421EX is a far better deal than one of the cheap 4 channel noncomputer radios like the skysport. I've never used the 421EX but I've been told it is easier to program than the 5X. But that is just someone's opinion.

One other option is that you could buy a Futaba 6XAS 6-Channel radio for a little over $200.00. That would put you close to your $400 price range and give you even more power.

Keep in ming that you will need some field equipment also which will also add to the expense. Glow charger ($10-$15), Fuel Pump ($10-$15), chicken stick (free-$5), Fuel ($15-$20 gallon), Glow Plug ($4-$6), and props ($2-$3 each, 10x6 or 11x5)
Old 12-15-2002, 09:41 AM

Ok just went to my flying club this morning, but it was too windy to fly. Seems like a good club, but about how long will it be before i move onto my next plane? Also what are the odds of flying someone else's plane. From what i see not geat
Old 12-15-2002, 11:29 AM

edited-contents moved
Old 12-16-2002, 04:56 PM

Ok just went to my flying club this morning, but it was too windy to fly.
Since I started flying SPAD's that is no longer a inhibitor.

I started flying in March of this year. I bought a Superstar 40, MDS .40 and a cheapy jr radio combo. BOY, if I had to do it all over again, I WOULDN'T DO THAT!

If I had known about SPAD's then, or knew somebody that had one, I certainly would have gone that route. Find somebody to help you build a SPAD trainer, and take that extra $140US that you would have spent on the bag o' balsa, and put it into a computer radio, better engine and servos.

Being new, YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH ! It happens, get over it. So you can be real anal and just fly your balsa trainer around in circles all day being scared to crash it. Or you can fly a $10.00 spad airframe and your skills will improve 10 fold. Why? Cause not being afraid to crash, you'll get braver quicker and try new things, loops, rolls, inverted. You aren't scared, you push yourself, fly out of the box, explore the envelope.

As you improve, you can build quicker faster, better looking spads, or you can buy some of the great sport arfs out there. Its at this point, you will thank SPADS, cause you now have a really nice radio, engine and flight pak to stuff into it.

If you are a hands on type, you will enjoy the designing and building process almost, if not more than flying itself. People at your field will think you are a rocket scientist, cause you bring your own creations to fly. Its not rocket science, and much easier than you think, but hey, if they wanna think your a rocket scientist, let em!

There is an old fellow at our field always making fun of the spads I bring out to fly, and sometimes crash, always smiling as I go to pick up the pieces (which happens less and less these days). It took 6 months, but 2 weeks ago, he asked me where I got the plans and materials from.

This has been my experience, your mileage may vary...
Old 12-16-2002, 09:52 PM

I'm surprised it was to windy, we flew most of the day.
Learning time is diferant for each person, after 12 months flying SPAD ive designed, built and flown my own 40 size trainers, sport planes and fun flys and i still have a balsa trainer waiting for it's first flight. a lot of guys at clubs dont like loaning there planes but if you talk to one of the club instructors they may have a trainer they can bring next time for you to try, at my club there are 2 oldies that have no problems letting people fly there planes, one of them taught my daughter to take off, fly and land in 1 day.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:41 AM

Ok I may get a spad, but i looked at prices and its 60 australian for a trainer ATF. I dont think i want a kit because ive never built a plane before. A non SPAD is about 200 or so australian so the saving is not huge. Still, i would like to see a SPAD and where can i get them /plans and materials in aus?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:54 AM

I' not sure what you mean by ATF but if it's and ARF for $60 aussie thats a good price, what type/brand from where??

SPAD plans are free on the net at www.spadtothebone.com materials are where you find them.

i get wood spars from bunnings, corflute from a sign suplies, cutting board from Kmart, and the rest from the hobby shop
Old 12-17-2002, 07:27 AM

I had a look at the SPADs. I dont know, im still not sure with the idea of building something from scratch. If i can find a kit somewhere in aus i will have a look at it but i dont want to build from scratch.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:29 AM

edited-contents moved
Old 12-17-2002, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Pygmy: My Alpha was the first in my club and the 3 blade prop and the evolution engine got a LOT of attention. The Hanger 9 people put some thought into this with a GOOD radio and a good starting easy idle engine ( the flywheel is brilliant), the whole package idea is not new but designing NEW parts into a package that teaches you to FLY is! The plane almost flies itself and the engine is idiot proof! (set at the factory) I highly recommend a buddy-box and an experianced instructor for any plane you try, Good Luck mate!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 PM

Zeek does Deb kits, i'll try and find his web page and post it or i have a real ugly Deb you can have, the only stipulation is if i give it to you you must use it, not let it sit in the shed. It's one of my 2 original Debs and is a bit heavy so you'll need a 46 for it.
it's made from 50x75 cable duct and comes with 2 wings, fire wall & engine mount.
you will need; motor, rc gear, tank, LG, and a few bits and peices.

As i said it's ugly but it taught me to fly.

Here we go
http://www.rccombatwa.com/spadworx.htm
Old 12-17-2002, 11:18 PM

Im still not sure about a SPAD i think i want a non-SPAD ARF for my first plane. I don't know why, but they just seem a little complicated and an ARF looks much easier...
Old 12-18-2002, 03:54 AM

If you'd prefer an ARf type set up as i've said before, they are all much of a muchness, IMHO the best package value for money at the moment are both from Addies hobbies, $495 and $550 (or there abouts)
for a seperate buy go for GMS47, TT46pro motor, Hitec flash5 or laser 6 radio and just about any ARF trainer.

You could try a place called "the bow hut" who deals in second hand gear or the trading post out tomorrow, either that or ask at a club to see if there is any second hand gear available.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:23 AM

What packages are these and where can i find them? Thanks you have all been a great help!
Old 12-18-2002, 10:28 AM

I looked at that site, what is the Thunder Tiger Trainer 2000 like. I've seen it a few times, any positives or negatives i should know about?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:14 PM

I dont know about the TT Trainer specificaly but if it's as good as there engines it should be OK. If you cant get advice you like i'd go with one of the better known brands like Vmar or Kyosho but TT or world models or pheonix or, or ,or.

have a look at www.radiomodels.com.au as they are about the cheapest in Aus i know of.

heres a link to a forum on the TTT http://www.********.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=126

And some reviews

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...s/TTTrnr2.html

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~dknight/rc/review/tttrnr.html
Old 12-24-2002, 01:12 AM

Pygmy,
I was in your position just a few months ago. I was posting on a beginner forum asking about trainers when Tattoo saw my post and invited me to a combat event. I then had an opportunity to see the planes first hand. Now I am no engineer nor am I in any way more mechanically astute that the next guy, but after seeing how it wasn't "rocket science" I decided to try my hand at building a Debonair. I reasoned that if my creation wouldn't fly, at least I'd already have an engine and flight pack to insert into a store bought balsa plane!

I brought my creation to the field and frankly, expected the instructors to critique my building capacity and make all sorts of corrections to it before it would fly. After all, someone without an aeronautical degree could never build something that could fly, could they? It really wasn't that hard, so I must have missed something..........it couldn't possibly be this easy!

Well the instructor started it up and after a few minutes, cranked up the throttle and off it went. He said something to the effect of "nice job......flies nice........I gotta build me one of these things some day." Well I had the biggest crap-eating grin that a guy could have. To see something that you made fly gave me a level of satisfaction that I had not expected. The tremendous savings that I pocketed and the crash worthiness (that I have tested repeatedly) made it all the better. Plus, should you REALLY crash hard and break something, you can rebuild it, because after all, you built it in the first place.

Sorry to be so long, but that's my two cents.....from a guy who's been where you are.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:26 AM

Thanks 777!!! It's great to hear you had success and found some guys to fly with!!! Where are you flying your Debby at? I had the same smile just reading your post!
Old 12-25-2002, 04:21 PM

Tattoo,
Those instructors that I spoke of actually occurred a few months ago. They were with the WRCC. I had the opportunity to meet them once at Beech and another time at Afton. Shortly after that daylight savings time happened and they stopped doing the instruction after work on the weekdays. Since then, I have been going it alone. Consequently I have had plenty of opportunity to witness the crashworthiness of the Debonair. Fortunately I've learned something each time and have yet to repeat any of my past mistakes. The last one was getting my controls reversed (typical beginner mistake) and augering it from about 50ft up into a wheatfield. Damage was nothing more than a broken prop and tweaked landing gear. However I am sick of bending landing gear back into shape! If you recall, I have been asking about hand-launching recently. That is why!

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the combat event in Wichita recently. I hope to make it to the next one, whenever that is.

Take care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.