Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hey im a beginner witout a plane yet and im gettig places thanks to yous guys

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hey im a beginner witout a plane yet and im gettig places thanks to yous guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Jay220

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey im a beginner witout a plane yet and im gettig places thanks to yous guys

Well first of all i want to thank yous people for all the good advice i got in my last post. And i have emailed the maci and the gave me a number of a club to join that is near me so i rang this fella he is sound and he explained everything to me about getting started he is even getting me a better plane cheaper cause he has a friend who has a model shop and said he would look into it for me + he has invited me out on suday to see his club fly and i cant wait ill keep in touch wit yous about what plane i get etc. I just hope when i get it i wont crash it five mins later. and any more advice you could give me would be more than welcome. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:56 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Default Hey im a beginner witout a plane yet and im gettig places thanks to yous guys

If you join the club and get an instructor your chance of crashing in the first 5 minutes is very low.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Jay220

so whats my chances of crashing anytime
Old 12-11-2002, 09:21 PM
mgmoore7

That is really hard to answer. So many things can cause a crash but most of the time if you do your preflight checks and fly within your abilities it will not occur all that often.

There is a saying though:
"The question is not if it will crash but when"

The "when" of that saying could be the first flight or the 300dth. Who knows.

I have one plane that I have had for 3 years and have not crashed it once and have not even had a hard landing. I have also totaled 3 planes and have damaged another one. I have had a total of 6 planes in 5 years and 3 are still flying. One was totaled on the first flight but it was my fault. The plane was too much for me to handle at the experience level I was at. One plane was 10-15 yrs old and the elevator fell off due to old age or I should say that I never checked it. The other one was my origonal trainer and I had a hot .46 on it and was doing more than the plane was designed for and it came apart in air and spiraled to the ground. So what does that tell you. All three of the planes I have totaled could have been prevented.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odds of crashing sometime in your modeling experience:
100%

The Modeling experience itself:
Priceless
Old 12-11-2002, 09:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This hobby doesn't get fun until you have a few crashes under your belt!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Woodsy

I've totaled 4 planes in my 12 months flying, 1 lost sight behind trees on landing aproach, 1 wing colapsed due to being over powered, 1 due to dumb thumbs, 1 due to battery cell failing, 1 due to too low landing aproach and hitting fence (oh that makes 5) i've crashed less since i lost my FEAR of crashing, sort of like it you think about it it'll happen, lucky for me i fly SPAD so the cost to my pocket has probably been under $150AUD
Old 12-12-2002, 03:24 AM
ctdahle

Jay, I have a club trainer that I let beginners fly all the time. It has made more than 1000 flights in it's 1 year life, and has been smashed up a dozen or so times, but never beyond repair.

Actually, MOST crashed planes can be rebuilt and I usually don't retire them unless the time to repair exceeds the time it would take to build a new one. Even then, I keep all the pieces in a big box of broken airplanes, incase I feel like I need a shop project.

On the other hand, my very first plane was destroyed on it's tenth flight, more than 25 years ago (totally my fault because I had not taken proper care of it). But even so, I only destroyed the fuselage, and I still used it's engine and it's wing on plane I designed and built a few years later. I STILL have, and use the engine from it, and other parts of it crop up on my other models now and then.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:50 PM
TerrellFlyer

There are two types of r/c fliers,those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:26 PM
mgmoore7

Originally posted by TerrellFlyer
There are two types of r/c fliers,those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.
I like that quote.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:18 PM
gone.

Crashes to me are :
Oh Boy - - got to go to the hobby shop and buy a new plane!
What shall I get ?
Old 12-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Crashem

Jay,

Crashing is part of the hobby. If crashing a plane will ruin the enjoyment of the hobby pick another.

Only planes that I haven't crashed yet are the ones I haven't flown yet.

In most cases you will be able to repair it an fly again