Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Covering Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Covering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:59 AM
joeypm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Problem

Hi,

I covered my wing with cream ultra cote. It went on with no problems smooth as silk. Now the fuse is another story.. I wanted maroon on the bottom of the fuse but ultra cote wa out of it so I purchased monocote... It would hardly stick to the fuse? Is it because the fuse ( Eagle II trainer) is a lite ply? I had to turn the iron way up and iron it forever plus it hardly shrinks at all? Does ultra cote sell a maroon and should I strip off the monocote. I'm afraid that the monocote might come off.....

any help appreciated, Joe
Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Covering Problem

I've ALWAYS used a product called Balsarite to seal the wood on planes before I covered them. I also use it to fuelproof the engine and fuel tank areas. I also use it in areas like the wing saddle where the covering ends. A side benefit is is helps the covering stick to the wood much better.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you remove the clear backing sheet from the monokote before applied it to the plane??

Ken
Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

It is harder to get covering to stick to plywood a lot of times, but as suggested before, use the balsarite and your problems will go away.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: joeypm

Hi,

I covered my wing with cream ultra cote. It went on with no problems smooth as silk. Now the fuse is another story.. I wanted maroon on the bottom of the fuse but ultra cote wa out of it so I purchased monocote... It would hardly stick to the fuse? Is it because the fuse ( Eagle II trainer) is a lite ply? I had to turn the iron way up and iron it forever plus it hardly shrinks at all? Does ultra cote sell a maroon and should I strip off the monocote. I'm afraid that the monocote might come off.....

any help appreciated, Joe
Ultracote has a deep red, a transparent and smoke violet (purple) - no burgandy.

For Monokote, in addition to the Balsarite (or SIG StixIt, which I prefer ) you really need to crank up the heat. I am in the process of doing a Boeing P-26 with Ultracote Brite yellow wings and Monokote Mist Blue for the fuselage. I have found that in order to get the Monokote to adhere to the fuselage (balsa sheeted) I needed to use a heat gun to apply it and then go over the seams with a regular iron with the heat almost all the way up.

FWIW - The glue used in Monokote has gone downhill in recent years along with the shrinking. I have some Monokote that is about 5 years old. I recently needed to buy another roll of the same color to finish a job. The new roll didn't adhere as well OR shrink as well (as much) as the 5 year old stuff.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Dr1Driver

Find a color you like in Ultracote and your problems will go away, too. 25 years ago, I started using Monokote and was very happy with it. I've been very unhappy with the results I've gotten for the past several years now, and have switched completely to Ultracote. IMO, Monokote doesn't stick very well to balsa, almost not at all to ply, and doesn't shrink worth a darn. It also relaxes after being applied, and the resulting sags are almost impossible to shrink out.

Dr.1
Old 04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
shd3920

I have attempted to use Monokote on my Eaglet with very UNSATISFACTORY results and I will never use it again.

As you said, it does not want to stick to ply very good. It took a lot of heat to finally stick it to my fuselage and by that time heat marks, creases and other dirty marks were showing thru.

I have used Ultracote and Coverite fabric on planes and will soon be trying Sig AeroKote on my Falcon III.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Ive used mono coat for a bunch of years,ultracoat is much easier to use for me.i have had good luck with mono coat sticking to almost any surface though,you have to use a higher heat.