Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 I AM HOOKED ON BUILDING . . . >

I AM HOOKED ON BUILDING . . .

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I AM HOOKED ON BUILDING . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I AM HOOKED ON BUILDING . . .

. . . SO I AM LOOKING FOR A 4TH PLANE TO COMPLETE.

I am also hooked on trainers, so I wanna stay that route. At least I will have plenty of planes to train on. While I am repairing one I will still have more to learn on .

I am looking for something that takes a .25 engine, has alot of wood to the kit, and I would prefer a 3-channel but not mandatory, and I do not want rounded wing tips or plastic windows or windshields. It can be either taildragger or tricycle.

What kits do you recommend for my 4th-build trainer that has these qualities? I already have a completed LT-40, completed electric Mini Telemaster and Falcon III that is almost complete.

Please keep it in the trainer category and include photos if possible.

I know some of you will say to slow down and enjoy the ones that are completed, but I can't. I am hooked on building. So while I am building the new kit, I will also be learning on the finished ones.

I do not want a ARF or RTF as I want to build it from kit form, and it has to have clear plans and preferably photos in the instruction booklet. It can even be a low-wing as long as it is in the trainer category.

I am due a kit from my friend and boss for my birthday (yesterday) and I am making him stick to his promise , so please give some ideas.

Thank you!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Default RE: I AM HOOKED ON BUILDING . . .

SIG Kadet Seniorita (although it has windows and rounded wingtips it is a three channel.)
Why no rounded wingtips? If you are worried about covering them there are 2 options.
1. use an easier to use covering like Solartex.
2. (in the case of the Kadet) the wingtips are fully sheeted and can be painted.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54571.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	451860  
Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Pilot has a QB20 series that's available in a couple configurations including low and shoulder versions. The older versions were my second and third planes. Pics are in my gallery. They built well and flew GREAT! If they seem interesting I can dig up some sources for you. These would be 4 channels.

A low wing that could be fun is the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLP42&P=0]GP Slowpoke[/link] .
Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM

i think the problem is the 'no plastic windows' thing. otherwise i would say the goldberg eaglet 50 flies greta on a 25 and can be built as a three channel. but it does have windows. seems odd to be looking for something that most manufacturers are stepping away from, that being the wooden box with wings. otherwise there are a few.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ567&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJC0&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJC4&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ555&P=0

some of these have plastic windows some don't, but theres four ideas for ya.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Senorita would fill the bill just fine. Just ignore the plans for plastic windows, and fill the openings with sheet balsa. The Senorita flies fine on a good .25 and is a nice 3 channel with lots of sticks. I think you could make the wingtips whatever you want, and it would still fly fine.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 04-27-2006, 04:54 PM

The way the wingtips were designed on the Senorita makes them very easy to cover. The only 'fidgity' part might be the Cowl cheeks if you intend to use Monocoat. Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 09:42 PM

know what you mean about building. Its fun!

I built two kits over the winter to suppliment my Lt-40 ARF.

I'm going to run out of room if I have to build two airplanes every winter!

I built a 4*60 and an LT-25.

The LT-25 came out real nice (4.25 lbs, perfect balance with a GMS 32 engine). If you want to build a trainer kit, look into this one. It is a 4 channel plane though.

So now I have two planes to maiden....

Dave
AMA 847123
Old 04-28-2006, 08:16 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll put a ditto on Superflea's 4 choices
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM

I like this one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWH72&P=0

It really isn't a Trainer, but she' a beauty & you could use it as your Tail-Dragger Trainer after you've mastered the other ones.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should try flying SOMETHING!!!!!!! I've seen so many build threads and no flying threads Tiger. When are you going to fly something? Time to get to it and go to the field and do it. IMO

Not trying to rag on you but it is time dude.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I think you should try flying SOMETHING!!!!!!! I've seen so many build threads and no flying threads Tiger. When are you going to fly something? Time to get to it and go to the field and do it. IMO

Gotta love the way Bruce minces his words so subtly. But he's right, that didn't even occur to me until he said it.

Put the glue down & grab a radio!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gee Bruce, don't beat around the bush!!! Tell us how you really feel?????

Just kidding of course.

Btw, you're slacking bruce. It's friday and no pick on me thread??? What's the world coming to???

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen
Btw, you're slacking bruce. It's friday and no pick on me thread??? What's the world coming to???
Are you feeling a lack of attention this week or something? Be careful what you ask for, you might get it! [X(]
Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Just kidding of course.

Ken
My mother told me not to pick on senile old men that fly Airtronics radios. Besides, I have a terrible hangnail that is slowing down my typing Yes, I know I'm older but I'm not senile.

As for Tiger, I just want him to fly[
Old 04-28-2006, 11:35 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Are you feeling a lack of attention this week or something? Be careful what you ask for, you might get it! [X(]
I'm not the only one who'd better watch out. Remember, we're still looking for "Pick on Chuck" day!!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Just kidding of course.

Ken
My mother told me not to pick on senile old men that fly Airtronics radios. Besides, I have a terrible hangnail that is slowing down my typing Yes, I know I'm older but I'm not senile.

As for Tiger, I just want him to fly[
I have major issues with that statement!!!!! I may fly Airtronics, and I may well be senile. But I am NOT old!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

I'm not the only one who'd better watch out. Remember, we're still looking for "Pick on Chuck" day!!!!

Ken
WOW, I had forgotten Piper was now a Moderator and therefore nearly defenseless fair game that has to follow more stringent rules than we do. Hmmmm, gonna have to think about this one.[
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Sheeeeesh whats with all the anti-Airtronics...
Old 04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: TheParrot

Sheeeeesh whats with all the anti-Airtronics...
They're just jealous because we have better radios!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Tigerdude wouldn't be the first person to build and not fly! There's one member of our club that I've never met. I hear he builds some really beautiful stuff though.

Tigerdude, I wonder why you are limiting yourself to trainers? If it's because they're familiar, you're in a rut. If you're scared, there's sport aircraft that are just as easy to build. If I was a therapist, I'd be alot thinner. Seriously, can I talk you into some variety? Oh, I know! You could grab a pencil and paper and design your own trainer! You got alot of empirical data to draw from with three completed airplanes in front of you.

Bruce, I know Piper Chuck from a couple of fly-ins we've attended. He is thoroughly deserving of being picked on. He shows up to a 1/2a fly-in with nothing but .15 sized airplanes!!! (that's about the worst I can say about him, but I could make something up)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Bruce, I know Piper Chuck from a couple of fly-ins we've attended. He is thoroughly deserving of being picked on. He shows up to a 1/2a fly-in with nothing but .15 sized airplanes!!! (that's about the worst I can say about him, but I could make something up)
We've never held ourselves to just facts/truth before. No sense starting now, is there?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Tigerdude, I wonder why you are limiting yourself to trainers? If it's because they're familiar, you're in a rut. If you're scared, there's sport aircraft that are just as easy to build. If I was a therapist, I'd be alot thinner. Seriously, can I talk you into some variety? Oh, I know! You could grab a pencil and paper and design your own trainer! You got alot of empirical data to draw from with three completed airplanes in front of you.
If you want a kit that is a true pleasure to build, and fantastic fun to fly, get a Sig Something Extra. I've built three of them and the last one I was able to frame up in a weekend. There's a joke out there about the SSE that all you do is open the box, through in a bottle of glue, shake, and remove the finished plane!!!

One problem with the SSE when you are flying it is cleaning it at the end of the day. The plane will roll so fast that exhaust residue gets coated on every surface of the plane!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck,
Congratulations on being named Moderator. (even if they did put you in boats and beginners) Hey, Y'ALL Open season on Chuck!!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:15 PM

It was a .15 or not show up at all. Rog gave me a special dispensation! It's a good thing I left the giant scales (the ones with .32 engines) in the trunk. Who knows what kind of fallout THOSE would have caused.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:18 PM

We've never held ourselves to just facts/truth before. No sense starting now, is there?
Are you confusing this with the AMA forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.