Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Throw Rates? >

Throw Rates?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Throw Rates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw Rates?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding throw rates, now it says........

ELEVATOR: 15mm Up
15mm Down

RUDDER: 30mm Up
30mm Down

AILERON: 10mm Up
10mm Down

....Now im unsure what to do to get these throws, do you measure the throws with a ruler OR and this is what i have done, for instance it ask's for 10mm Up and down for AILERONS and then all i did was cut the movement down on the Servo to 10% is this right or have i gone about the whole thing the wrong way but to me that just seems logical i tried to measure it to what the instructions recommend & the throws seem to be FAR to much as if they are set for 3D flight instead & it is not a 3D plane. it is a SUKHOI SU31 By BLACK HORSE.

I explained it best i could, hope this helps you all understand my problem.

Thanks Guys

Happy Flying
Paul
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Throw Rates?

Hi Paul,

You must fly knife edge a lot to measure up and down on the rudder rather than right and left

Generally these distances are measured from an imaginary datum point at neutral to the maximum control deflection, you can buy control surface throw meters that measure distance or degrees. If you think the control throws are excessive set them at high on dual rates and dial in 30% less on low rates. If it is too sensitive on high switch to low.

The recommended throws are just that and if they haven't made a typo in the destructions they are usually conservative.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

The 15mm,30mm #s are the distance the control surfaces should move in each direction.Check them at their widest point with a ruler or a deflection gauge.If you have elevator halves on 2 servos,be sure they are traveling the same distance at the same time also.I just completed the BH Extra and their recomended throws are pretty aerobatic,although it called for more elevator than your Sukhoi
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Instead of using your radio to cut your throw down to 10%, it would be better to do it as much as possible through the mechanical linkage (go in on the servo arm and out on the control horn). If you use your radio - you're only using 10% of servo travel - that doesn't give you very good servo resolution at all. Its better for the servo to travel over as many gears as possible.

Better resolution gives you increased precision with your stick movements.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to set up control throws is definately a beginner question but a SUKHOI is not a beginner plane. Are you sure you are ready for this plane? The throws you listed don't seem all that extreme to me for a plane of this type but it may be a bit much for a beginner.

Take a step back and evaluate your skills before proceeding and get some instructional assistance before continuing if needed.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Hi Bruce,

The plane was good in the air when i flew it, i know ive only been flying afew months now (5 in total) and when i flew the SUKHOI on its maiden i won't lie i was fighting it for about 5 seconds just after take off till i realized i had to be very VERY gentle on the sticks so i brought it around and landed it i did'nt take it up again. Im now just trying to get these throws right, with the info you and others have given im almost there.

Instead of using your radio to cut your throw down to 10%, it would be better to do it as much as possible through the mechanical linkage (go in on the servo arm and out on the control horn). If you use your radio - you're only using 10% of servo travel - that doesn't give you very good servo resolution at all. Its better for the servo to travel over as many gears as possible.

Better resolution gives you increased precision with your stick movements.
With this reply what do you mean by "do it as much as possible through the mechanical linkage (go in on the servo arm and out on the control horn)"? i have had people say to me "yeah do it the way your doing it by cuting down on the sevo, i would like to try it the way you say to do but am unsure how.

Thankyou

Happy Flying
Paul
Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 PM

To cut down on throws mechanically, move your clevis in to a hole closer to the center of your servo or move the clevis on your control surface horn to a hole farther out or/and any combination of the two.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also make the plane less "jumpy" by using some exponential if your radio offers this feature. Since you can dial down your endpoints like you did I expect you can set in some expo. Expo will "soften" the response of the control near neutral but still leave full travel available. This is different than dual rates in that dual rates limit the amount of total throw whild only "softening" the neutral area slightly.

Missleman's method is good too and you can always go back as your skills develope.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
My Feedback: (15)

if you have a throw gage that is the way to go,i use a tailors tape and set it up on the rudder about at the 5 inch mark to the center of the elevator then measure from looking at the tip of each elevator to the tape.get the linkages right first and the control surfaces as close to neutral as possible then measure from there then you can set your radio up if it is a computer type for the throw rates.after i trim out an airplane i will use a angle gage i make out of Popsicle sticks to get the servos back to center the angle gage is used to get a measurement on where the surfaces want to be centered at.some planes like a little up or down elevator to fly straight i guess because of warps or just the characteristics of the planes.most of my planes the surfaces are normally centered,i have a super stick that likes a little up elevator to fly straight.