Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

prop nut wont release

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

prop nut wont release

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
striderjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop nut wont release

I see the point of making it hard to tell if u've cut to far, but I disagree with the dust. Just plug the carb with paper towel. Simple Plus the particles come off almost exactly in plane with the cut. I've cut nuts off of other things with a cutoff wheel (never had a stuck engine nut), and it's not that hard to stop before the threads, but it's a valid point.
-John
Old 06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tramsay

No problem MadGenius...I do it all the time!

So i was able to get the nut off but now I have alum in the shaft threads! I still need to get my prop nut off and don't want to start this process all over again. Any suggestions on how to remove the alum from the shaft threads?
~Tip
tramsay, you need to chase the threads with a 5/16"-24 die nut. This is a common size available at most auto part stores.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:17 PM
tramsay

Thanks Tim!...Will that die nut work on the 7x1mm shaft threads the saito has?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 PM
TimC

Tipton, I got mixed up ( common condition ) while reading this thread. I was talking about the threads on the 1.20 SX. You need to find a 7mmx1 die nut. This is a common metric size and should also be available at the parts house.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:29 PM
tramsay

AH ok Thanks!...No problem.I was not sure if that was the SAE equivelant. I am an idiot when it comes to converting between the two So like a NAPA or an Autozone should have this?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-24-2006, 10:32 PM
TimC

Napa should have it or if your Napa is like mine here, they can have it the next day. I just went in and checked my Craftsman metric die set and the only 7mm die is the 7x1. This tells me it's the most common 7mm die. It should be around 5 bucks for the die.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:42 PM
TimC

Tipton, for some reason I have had bad luck with the aluminum Harry Higley lock nut on my Saito .82. I've had two strip out the threads. I tighten them the same as my other engines using an aluminum lock nut. Then I hold the nut with a wrench and tighten the spinner nut against it. After a few hours, the threads are gone. I recently went back to using the prop nut and lock nut that came with the engine.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:11 PM
tramsay

Mine was Dubro...and I think I just over did it a bit when putting it on. It also occurs to me that i may have actually put it on while at the field and after the motor was warm.

I will not be making that same mistake twice!

I called over to the local check and they do have the die. It comes in a set for 6.99...not too bad. 17$ mistake. Could have been alot worse.

Thanks you and the others for your help on this. I think I will be going back to the plastic spinners for a while, til I can save the pennies for a nice true turn.
~Tipton