Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Receiver tests

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Receiver tests

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:10 PM
ClarkFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver tests

So...I've been having control surfaces jitter big time, on the bench at full throttle.Suspecting a receiver/crystal problem, I removed the rx and let it hang free from the plane. No jitters. While it was hanging and my engine was at high RPMs, I held the rx and knocked on it with my knuckles...ailerons jittered quite a bit. Swapped with a new crystal......same symptoms. So while it was hanging there not jittering, I pressed it against the bottom of the wing with the engine again at high RPM....a bunch of jittering. Now of course I'd have it in foam normally but shouldn't a rx be ok holding it against the plane? I'm thinking this is telling me I have a bad rx, but I wanted to check with you fine folks....what do you think? Thanks a bunch
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Receiver tests

Yep, I'd say there is a problem in the reciever. See if you can borrow one to test with.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a bad receiver to me. As Bubba said, see if you can borrow one to test with. Send the one you think it bad in. Trust me, it's cheap insurance to keep you plane safe.

Ken
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 PM
ClarkFlyer

Well, I suspect you guys are right. I DO have another receiver that I'll swap in. Do you think its worthwhile sending one in? I looked into it once and Futaba charges $15.00 just to look at it and then the charges begin for the fix. So you have about $18.00 in postage and diagnostic fees right from the get go. The last receiver I bought at the LHS was right at $50.00. Not sure its worth it when you don't know what the savings are.....anyway, thanks, guys. As always, the forum came through and I do appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my flying I have only experienced one antenna routing problem. Rerouting the antenna is a long shot but cheap to check.

Bill
Old 07-22-2006, 08:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ClarkFlyer

Well, I suspect you guys are right. I DO have another receiver that I'll swap in. Do you think its worthwhile sending one in? I looked into it once and Futaba charges $15.00 just to look at it and then the charges begin for the fix. So you have about $18.00 in postage and diagnostic fees right from the get go. The last receiver I bought at the LHS was right at $50.00. Not sure its worth it when you don't know what the savings are.....anyway, thanks, guys. As always, the forum came through and I do appreciate it.
Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. Postage shouldn't be that high. I recall someone posting not long ago about sending in a receiver for service. The response was it was shot and they were offered a brand new one at a REALLY good price. It could be something as simple as a break in the antenna wire, which would be an inexpensive repair.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BillS

In all my flying I have only experienced one antenna routing problem. Rerouting the antenna is a long shot but cheap to check.

Bill
I had that problem with a Twist that I had. The ant. wire was routed right next to the servos in the tail and when I moved it to outside the fuse the problem went away.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 AM
bubbagates

It sounds like he is only getting it when the engine is running so unless he has a loose metal to metal control rod, such as a metal threaded rod to metal clevis with no locktite and no jam nut then re-routing the antenna may do little for him. It's worth a shot though but I would verify all linkages to be sure that nothing is vibrating.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 AM
ClarkFlyer

Good thoughts, all! I've also been told to check the prop balance...that maybe I'm just getting too much vibration. Might be something there as it looks the fuel is foaming. This is a profile plane with the tank exposed. All my other planes have had the tank in the fuse and I couldn't see the tank.....something else to check, I guess. I do have one very basic question that might pin it down. If you have a healthy receiver, should you be able to make things glitch by knocking on it with your knuckles. I'm inclined to think no, but I don't know. Maybe any rx will act up with some banging about. Thanks Folks!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 AM
bubbagates

OH, yes I foprgot the part about hitting it with your knuckles. No that should not happen at all. Something is loose inside the reciever.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Clarkflyer,
High vibration, low vibration, or knocking on it with your knuckles should not cause any glitches at all. If you have anything like you have described the receiver needs service on it.

Ken
Old 07-22-2006, 11:26 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

What is the model number of the receiver. The 127 receivers from futaba have been troublesome in the past.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 AM
ClarkFlyer

It IS the Futaba 127 series. Yesterday I swapped receivers and it cleared up the problem so the rx WAS the culprit It was a good learning experience for me. Thanks to all who contributed!!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:58 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now you can identfy yourself so I know who you are..... Always nice to know who the locals are. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 AM
ClarkFlyer

Oh, Hi, Dave.......Dave Koon here....Was at the field yesterday morning.....It was a GREAT day for flying, except two planes went down. My brother lost his new Sup Sportster and Mike Scott lost a plane...not sure what it was. In both cases, they claimed "dumb thumbs" Think I'll go out this morning and give this Fazer a test flight. Everything seems fine but I kind of messed up the trim by messing with it. See ya soon!