Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to Fuel Powered Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to Fuel Powered Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:16 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to Fuel Powered Aircraft

Why not Ken, we use air to start our motors here at FedEx. Seriously.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Looks to be in good condition. Probably needs a motor though.
Or even an engine, if you're that way inclined!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
mouthpiec

you are right piper_chuck, i need an engine not a motor!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
bruce88123

Could go electric and then I'd be correct.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Why not Ken, we use air to start our motors here at FedEx. Seriously.
Ok Bruce, I'll bite!!! What the motors on your "air" planes???

Ken
Old 08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
mouthpiec

can someone please send me a picture of the intertior of the plane to see how the RX and battery should be installed?

it is not urgent, but i will appreciate if you send me the photos by 24 hours
thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
bruce88123

Seriously. The onboard APU's (Aux Power Units) are started first. These are small turbine engines @ 600 HP I believe. They are started with electric motors. Once they come up to speed the air volume and pressure outout they generate is ducted to the main engines to a device that looks much like a turbo on a car only bigger. The air flowing thru the turbo spins it up and it is coupled to the main shaft of the main engine causing it to rotate up to starting speed. Once up to speed, ignition and fuel are introduced and the fires are lit. The "start motor" turbine is then disengaged because it would disintegrate at full engine speed and the engine continues to accelerate to idle speed. The air from the APU is also used for Air Conditioning/Heat on the ground and generates electrical power as well. This is the way most modern commercial jets start these days. If the APU is broken a compressor truck can connect to the plane and provide this air.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM
bruce88123

Go to this thread and start reading around pg 19. The entire thread is great reading but the radio installation seems to start on @ pg 19. Read it thru and it will also cover balancing. The exact location for radio and RX may need shifting for balance.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-17-2006, 04:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Bruce,
Now that you say that I remember hearing it before. I was in an airport one time and was talking to a guy from a ground crew and he was telling me that. very cool stuff if you ask me.

Ken
Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

very cool stuff if you ask me.

Ken
Actually it's very hot!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: RCKen

very cool stuff if you ask me.

Ken
Actually it's very hot!
[:@][:@]

Hmmm, there's got to be one in every crowd!!!

Ken
Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
donhef

[quote]ORIGINAL: mouthpiec

yes heat is a drawback especially in summer!
The spitfire now is ready and the only thing that remains of the hurricane is the wings
if you wish some photos just leave your email address and i will send them to you (i took them 4 months ago)
and i have some of the biplane also

if you like there is a book called "Fortress Malta" which i liked alot, and if you liked malta i suggest you to read it!

----------------------------------------------------------------

finally i bough the trainer i needed
here is a pic

The trainer looks good, almost like an Alpha 40. I would also enjoy pictures of the Gladiator if you have them. My email address is [email protected].

The placement of the servos is very easy, but it depends on how the tray is set up inside. The two for the elevator and rudder/nose gear (if its a trike set up) should be side by side, parallel to the fusalage sides near the back of the radio/equipment compartment. The throttle servo can be forward of them vertical to the fuselage sides. I'm at work now so I don't have access to drawing on my computer or I would do that for you. Your aileron servo should be on the centerline rib with the screw holes towards the leading edge and trailing edge. When I get home, I'll take some pictures of the inside of my trainer and post them here for you.

On my way home from the Island, I picked up two books about the airwar in Malta, one is "Victory in the Air, Malta George Cross", which has great photos of the aircraft and backgrounds of the squadrons based in Malta, and "Onward to Malta" which is the story of W.C. T.F. Neil of 249 Squadron. Both are great reads! I also got a copy of "Malta story", a great film from the early 50's starring a very young Alec Guinness. Also great shots of period aircraft. Hopefully I can convince my Wife to make the 12 hour flight back to visit our friend in Mellieha, but she's not up to that yet, considering what we went through the last time.

Thanks for the pictures and once again, good luck with your trainer!

Cheers!
Don

Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM
bruce88123

I think this is his plane, just with a different color pattern.
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4565.htm
and here is the manual
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/PDF/Airp...asyTrainer.pdf

This should get you going on the installation of your equipment and balancing. Picture on manual cover matches your plane BTW.

Good luck!

And I beat the 24 hr time limit.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 AM
mouthpiec

donhef, i will post you some pictures during the weekend.
My concern about the setup is where to place the RX and the battery.
I installed the servos yesterday and i had no problems

If you was annoyesd because of the heat, the best time to come is during May.
If cold doesnt bother you, (if you can call the winter here cold) you can come during winter; the nicect will be February/March

I have another question...... from where i need to refuel the aircraft? [&:]

thanks to evetyone for the help
Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
bruce88123

Easiest is to take the line off the needle valve and pump into the tank from there (defuel there at end of the day too) and reattach to fly. The line should slip on/off fairly easy depending on needle location which varies depending on the engine. A pair of needle nose pliers may help.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: mouthpiec

My concern about the setup is where to place the RX and the battery.
See pg 15 of the manual. You may need to move one or both if the balance needs changing.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Mouthpiec,
Placing your receiver and battery is almost a function of balancing the plane than anything else. When you balance a plane adding "dead weight" is something that we try to avoid. By dead weight we mean weight that doesn't have any other function, such as a chunk of lead. By moving the battery and receiver around you can shift that weight to help balance the plane. That doesn't mean you won't have to add additional weight, but by moving the battery and receiver around means you will have to add less "dead weight" to get the plane to balance.

As for placement, you can place them just about anyplace that you can get them into. You will want to wrap both the battery and receiver in foam before you place them. This has two functions, the first if to cushion them in the event of a crash can more important it isolates them from vibrations caused by the engine while in flight. After you have placed them in the fuselage you will need to secure them somehow. Depending on where you place them you might be able to wedge a stick of balsa in above them to hold them in place, install eye hooks and use rubber bands to hold them down, or secure them using velcro. The biggest thing you are looking for in securing them is that you don't want them to move while in flight, which could cause your CG to shift while in flight.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
mouthpiec

i do not know what a needle valve is!
The engine i will buy will be the Thunder Tiger 46 Pro
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKF97
Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

mouthpiec, I think you did well with this used airframe. It looks like a good one to me. It also looks like bruce did indeed find the correct manual to go with it for you.

I enjoyed browsing the Malta Air Museum. They have some wonderful looking old Warbirds!! Malta looks like a fun place to visit.

I also looked at the flying club you will be joining. It looks like a good club with some very definite ideas about safety & certifications. This is good because these things can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Please let us know which engine you decide on. I'm thinking a matching Thunder Tiger Pro .46 might just be the ticket. It is a little more reasonably priced than the OS.46AX & in my opinion just as good in quality an engine, with maybe just a little more power.

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/pro46-...ft-p-7527.html

As you can see from this link they are $89.99 here in the states. I'm not sure what your price would be there in Malta. I have been very impressed by this engine. I don't own one yet but I have a few friends that have them & everyone of them are great runners with very nice smooth, reliable idles. As for power I believe they have more than my OS.46FXI engine & my other friends OS.46AX as well. Another thing I like about them is something I just noticed while putting up this link for you. If you enlarge the pic you will see that instead of using a remote needle valve to move the tuning needle away from the prop, they simply put the needle into the carb at an angle. IMO this is the best of both worlds. It moves the needle back for you so you don't whack a finger while tuning, but without using a flimsy remote needle valve bracket which I have found crack fairly easy from the vibration of an rc engine. This is just my 2 cents worth on the engine. I will be giving one of these Thunder Tiger Pro engines a try for my next new engine.

Keep us posted on your progress & good luck with everything.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 AM
elenasgrumpy

Lol, Allways a day late & a dollar short![&:]
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
mouthpiec

hehe dont worry mate.
thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
bruce88123

The needle valve is what you use to adjust the fuel mixture in the carbuator. On the back left side of your carb there is a fitting that you connect your fuel line from the tank to. THAT is the same line that you will use to fill your tank. Simply slip the line loose and pump fuel in. You will want to disconnect the line from the muffler temporarily also. The reason for this is onsce the tank is full the excess fuel will start to come out this line from the tank vent. If you leave the line connected the fuel will go into the muffler and perhaps into the engine exhaust which would flood it. Fill the tank until fuel JUST starts to come out the vent/pressure line and then stop. Disconnect the pump. Reconnect your lines on the airplane being careful which line goes where as you do NOT want them reversed.

The line that goes to the muffler provides mild pressure to the fuel tank providing steady fuel flow to the engine, do not omit this line.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
elenasgrumpy

mouthpiec, This is a needle valve. They come in many different sizes & configurations depending on the engine. In the pic fron the link I put up you will see it coming out of the side of the carb at that angle I was talking about. It is the high-speed needle valve & one of the valves we use to tune the top end operation of the engine. There is another low-speed valve that is used to tune the low-end operation of the engine. This is where we get our low idle. It is usually located right in the middle of the throttle control arm & it just looks like a screw that you can turn in or out. In to lean & out to richen. Airbleed carbs are another animal. I hope this helps some.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: elenasgrumpy

Lol, Allways a day late & a dollar short![&:]
Mark - If you didn't write novels?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
bruce88123

Not trying to confuse you but some engines also use what is called a "remote needle valve" where the needle is located away from the carburator, usually on the rear of the ingine.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXALM2&P=0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.