Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FUEL TANK

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FUEL TANK

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
rcamigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL TANK

HI EVERYBODY:

I JUST BOUGHT A MACH I (THE WORLD MODELS). DOES ANYBODY KNOWS IF THE FUEL TANK SUPPLIED BY THE FACTORY PRESENTS ANY FRACTURE OR LEAKING PROBLEMS?

Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: FUEL TANK

I've been flying my Mach I for two years with the original supplied tank, no problems. It's a great flying plane. Don't overpower it, lighter is better. Mine has the OS 40 LA, APC 11X5 prop, a wonderful combination. Assembly instructions are minimal, get some help if needed. But once it is together, you will enjoy it.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems with the included tank as long as it's properly assembled.

Ken
Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine and if you do need help try contacting joesabido. He's in Merida too. Now I don't know if Merida is a city , state or province in Mexico so he may actually be far away but I'm trying.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After this mornings experience, I am leary of any ARF supplied tank. My Lanier Explorer 40 tank split along the seam at the bung hole. I inspected this tank before installing it and even went to the trouble of getting a DuBro tank as a replacement, but it was going to require cutting a new seat in a bulkhead so I went ahead and installed the kit suppled tank. I should have replaced it during the build. I have been having trouble all along with idle on my Magnum 52 four stroke and I was working on the carb adjustments at the field this morning. I had the wing off and I noticed that it looked pink on the bottom. I must have poured three or four ozs of fuel out of the fuselage. Sure hope it did eat the glue. I've been tempted many times to pull the radio and engine out of this plane and then stomp what was left. Never another ARF, espically a Lanier.

Don
Old 07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Ken Erickson

rcamigo,

I echo what Jim Dines has written. Have had no problems with 4 of these tanks (Mach I and 3 Mach IIs, we race the IIs).

The only difference is that I use an 11 x 4 APC on the LA in the Mach I. I like my trainers slow and thrusty (lots of thrust).

Have been giving buddy-box instruction for 30 years.

Ken Erickson
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: Ken Erickson

Have been giving buddy-box instruction for 30 years.

Ken Erickson
Buddy boxes 30 years ago? What brands? I've been flying since the mid-70's and don't seem to recall them back then.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
rcamigo

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS JIM. IT´S ALLWAYS USEFULL TO CHECK OUT WITH OTHER FELLOW RC PILOTS WHEN YOU TRY AN SPECIFIC MODELS CONSTRUCTOR FOR THE FIRST TIME.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Ken Erickson

The Blue Max. I think they were by World Engine Company. Bought as a Semi-kit in about 1975 or so. The cord had a full-size stereo phone plug. I know (pretty sure) I was Buddy-Boxing my cousin before my sons were born, and they turned 30 four days ago. We moved from that location in May 1980.

The 10-channel reed set I had in 1966 did not have the capability.

Ken Erickson, AMA 19352
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
rcamigo

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BRUCE, YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY HELPFUL. WELL, MY FELLOW MODELER, MERIDA IS THE CAPITOL CITY OF THE STATE OF YUCATAN IN MÉXICO. IT IS A MEDIUM SIZE CITY (ABOUT ONE MILLION HABITANTS). IS, BY ANY CHANCE, JOE SABIDO´S FULL NAME "JOSEPH I. SABIDO"? ´CAUSE IN THAT CASE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME PERSON I KNOW. WE BOTH FLY IN THE SAME FIELD (BARELY A FIELD, ACTUALLY IT´S MORE A BUMPY KIND OF ESPLANADE), ANYWAY, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
rcamigo

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY KEN. THE MACH I IS A VERY SIMPLE MODEL BUT SINCE I´M BEGGINER-INTERMIDIATE MODELER I´M TAKING MY TIME TO ASSAMBLE IT IN THE PROPER WAY AND YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY HELPFUL.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
rcamigo

THAK YOU KEN ERICKSON:

ONE THING THAT CONCERNS ME VERY MUCH ABOUT THE TANK SUPPLIED BY WORLD MODELS IS THAT IN MY CITY (MERIDA) WE HAVE HIGH TEMPERATURES ALMOST ALL YEAR WICH IN ADDITION TO THE NATURAL VIBRATION OF THE ENGINE MAKES ME GUESS IF IT MAY CAUSE STRESS TO THE PLASTIC MATERIAL OF THE TANK AND CAUSE ANY LEAKING OR FRACTURE. BUT I GUESS THAT THE TEMPERATURES OF MERIDA AND YOUR CITY ARE ALMOST THE SAME (ABOUT 42 CENTIGRADE DEGREES IN SOME CASES), SO IF THE TANKS OF WORLD MODELS HAVE WORK FOR YOU, I THINK THAT THEY WILL ALSO WORK FOR ME.

BYE.

(SORRY IF MY ENGLISH IS NOT SO GOOD BUT I KEEP TRYING TO IMPROVE IT)
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
bruce88123

Your English is great, much better than what little I remember of the Spanish I studied 40 years ago in high school. And you are very polite too, gracias muchacho. I can't speak of your brand of tank but it get pretty warm here in Memphis too. It's supposed to be about 97Farenhiet today with an index of @110+. I know it is warmer there but we don't like this either.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

rcamigo,
You may be a bit hotter down in your neck of the woods than we are here in Oklahoma, USA. But not by much. You shouldn't have any troubles with the heat and the tank that came with the plane. As far as vibration, you should wrap the tank in foam to pad it against the vibration from the airframe. One source of padding that I have found that works great with tanks are computer mouse pads. They give enough padding to keep the vibrations down, but they are thin enough to fit into tight and cramped fuselages.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
rcamigo

HI AGAIN BRUCE:

WELL, JUST LIKE MÉRIDA, MEMPHIS IS A WARM CITY TOO SO I GUESS THE TANK OF MY MODEL WILL BE JUST FINE WITH THE PROPER INSTALLATION. IT DID NOT SCAPE TO MY ATTENTION THAT YOU ARE A VERY WELL EXPERIENCED RC MODELER AND SINCE I AM A ONLY A BEGGINER-INTERMIDIATE ENTHUSIAT IN THIS HOBBY I HOPE (ONLY IF YOU DON´T FIND ANY INCONVENIENCE) THAT I CAN ASK YOU IN CASE I HAVE SOME MORE DOUBTS IN THE FUTURE.

AFTER ALL, ONE OF THE GREATER PLEASURES OF THE R/C HOBBY IS TO KNOW AND KEEP CONTACT WITH GREAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ALL THE OTHER MODELERS THAT REPLIED TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION.

SEE YOU AROUD BRUCE.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
rcamigo

HI RCKEN:

YOUR TIP ABOUT THE COMPUTER MOUSE PADS IS DEFINITELY A GOOD ONE BECAUSE FOR THE LOW COST OF A MOUSE PAD YOU GET A MATERIAL THAT ABSORBS A LOT OF VIBRATION AND KEEP THE FUEL TANK JUST IN THE RIGTH POSITION. I WILL PUT IN PRACTICE YOUR ADVICE AND I HOPE WE COULD STAY IN CONTACT IN THIS FORUMS.

YOU´VE BEEN VERY KIND IN TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR HOBBY EXPERIENCE WITH ME BY REPLYING TO MY PREVIOUS POSTS AND I REALLY HOPE THAT I COULD BE OF ANY HELP FOR YOU IN THE FUTURE.

SEE YOU AROUND RCKEN

Old 08-01-2006, 07:06 AM
bruce88123

Don't know about the "great" part but your questions are always welcome here. If I can't answer them, someone will. There are many experienced people here. Many with more experience than I.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A padding I've been using is the flat sheets you get where they sell swim noodles. They are light, 97 gms for a piece 3/4" x 5 3/4" x 58" long. About 1.5 lbs per Cu ft.

It is easy to cut with an Xacto knife and it is fuel safe and no-porous. I recently had a fuel tank rupture and dump four or five ozs in my fuselage. I pulled out the foam padding and dried it off with a paper towel. None was trapped in the foam. Can't say the same for the wood though.

Don