Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gluing and high temp storage

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gluing and high temp storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
F8fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing and high temp storage

Hi all,

My dad and I just got our first trainer, an Alpha 60, and I have a couple of questions. First, should we glue the main wings together? It doesn't say to in the instructions but is it advisable? Secondly, what kind of problems will we have with high temperature storage? We live in Ohio and it's pretty hot right now. The garage gets hot too, so will that affect anything like the electronics or the covering. Will the moisture in the air affect anything also? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Gluing and high temp storage

In the case of a Trainer that doesn't require you to glue the two wing halfes together per the instructions, you may want to go ahead & leave it the way it is. This will enable you to pop it apart for storage in a closet or something. Hot garages will wrinkle the covering on your planes. It not a real big deal to iron them back tight but if you can keep them in a more controled temp they won't do that as much.

I have two Trainers that don't require glue on the wings they go together with a wing joiner & 4 screws. I haven't had a problem with them yet, & they got a lot of abuse when they were the only planes I was flying!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F8fan-
You think Ohio is HOT? You have a lot to experience yet. It's been in the upper 90's (or higher) here most days for the past 2 months with high humidity too. Indexes of 110 and higher. I keep my plane in my car so I can fly right after work. I guess you can imagine how warm it gets in there. I've had no problem with my covering (Monokote) loosening up. I just run my extension cord to my car trunk (in garage) at night and charge in the trunk. Primary plane hasn't left the car, except to fly, for at least 45 days. That was because I was going out of town and leaving car at airport parking.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

F8fan,
First off, welcome to RCU!!!!

Bruce was right, you think it's hot there???? I live in Southwest Oklahoma and it's normal to have 3-4 months of 90°-100°+ weather every year. I store ALL of my airplanes and radios in my garage which regularly hits temps of 130°+ and I have never had any issues with them. It is possible though for the covering on an ARF to wrinkle up a bit when in heat like that, but if you take a heat gun or covering iron and re-shrink the covering you shouldn't have any more problems with it. All of the planes that I have built and covered myself never have any issues at all with the covering wrinkling. Anyway, these few days of hot weather you all are having up there shouldn't affect your plane at all in your garage.

On gluing the wing, follow the instructions that came with the plane. I assume you have the Hanger 9 Alpha 60 trainer, the instructions can be found online here [link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/han2600-manual.pdf[/link] . If you look on page 8 it explains assembling the wings. Here's what they say.

Step 1
Remove each wing panel from its protective plastic bag. Remove the pieces of tape that hold the ailerons in place for shipping. The hinges in the Alpha Trainer have already been glued in place during manufacturing. Check to make sure hinges are secure by gently pulling on the wing and aileron, trying to separate the ailerons from the wing. Be careful not to damage the wing structure.
Step 2
Locate the aluminum wing tube and carefully slide it into the opening in one wing panel. Use a twisting motion while inserting the tube. A short metal pin is located near the trailing edge of one wing panel. This pin keys into the opposite wing panel and keep the wing from rotating around the wing tube. Carefully slide the other wing panel onto the wing tube. Align the metal pin in one panel into the hole of the opposite panel and press the two panel stightly together.
Step 3
Locate the clear wing joiner tape and apply it to the top and bottom of the wing along the joint. Start at the top of the trailing edge and wrap it around the front of the wing and to the bottom trailing edge.
They call for putting the wings together on the wing tube and using tape to hold them together. You should follow the instructions from the manufacturer, because if this fails they will be the one replacing the plane. While some companies my be fly-by-night and not put much money into research, I can assure you that Hanger 9 isn't one of them. If they tell you a method of assembling the plane you can bet that they have done their research on it and they have found that this way will work just fine. And if in the event something does happen Hanger 9/Horizon Hobby have some of the better customer service out there and they will take care of any issues you may have

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-03-2006, 04:56 PM
WCB

Epoxy the wing halves together with 30 minute epoxy. I have seen more than one Alpha where the tape came loose because fuel got under it. RC Ken is right it will work with tape. But it will come loose after a while. Hangar9 does have great customer service and would probably replace your plane. Why go through all that....epoxy it and forget it.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to go with the epoxy too. Tape is good for a while but fuel will take it's toll. Be sure to use enough for complete coverage though, you can always wipe off any excess that squirts off with alcohol.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM
F8fan

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We hope to have it flying next week. One of the local clubs has an open instructor night every wednesday, so weather permitting, we will be tearing up the sky.