Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Images - Bev & Joel Flying A Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Images - Bev & Joel Flying A Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Images - Bev & Joel Flying A Trainer

Nice Ultimate!! That must of been pretty exciting for you Bev. Sounds like you're loving this addiction & welcome to it!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhowardsta

Wow! This is great we need more women like you in the hobby! See how everyone perks up........Not the same old bunch of guys when a woman is around! If I'm in south Florida with my trainer I'll look up your clubs field.............

Ray

Yeah, I can see the Red Bowties, big wide grins and smell the Dapper Dan Pomade from all the way over here in Texas!

Bev! Welcome to our addiction!
I have a question, WHAT did you use to cover that plane? I have never seen that color or pattern.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Geistware, I was terribly afraid of the wind when I first started last May, but now when the weather channel says 15-20, I'm thrilled. I finally understood the difference between airspeed and ground speed. I can control the plane so much better on short final and landing in the wind, even if it's crosswind, and I'm crabbing in. I can't wait until I am at the point you are. Now I'm practicing figure 8's so I can tackle right pattern approach. My brain says turn right, but sometimes my fingers still turn left.(over the trees, the highway, etc) I guess it really is just a matter of stick time. From what you say, it sounds like the learning curve never really ends. (BTW I love watching rolling circles...maybe someday) Thank you for all your encouragement. You really do need to get down to our air field.
Bev
Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Hi Mike, Not sure which plane you mean...if it's the biplane, that belongs to Eddie. An extraordinairely gifted pilot here. My plane is a World Model Sky Raider Mach I. That stealth blue checkerboard pattern with graphics is the way the plane comes...what genius thought that up. The underbelly is beige...another brilliant idea. I added black stripes on the underside of the wings and tail just to spot it in the sky.
And thank you for the greetings. Everyone here at my field has been wonderful. I'll repeat it again, I've had the best of the best down here helping to train me. I'm a very lucky "pilot".
Bev
Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Hi Grumpy, Yes, flying the Ultimate has been the highlight of my "3 month career" so to speak. I was absolutely thrilled beyond belief. Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I do believe I am addicted. I can't believe I waited so many years to take it up. I watched my Uncle Al fly while I was a child. I never thought I would someday be able to fly myself. (Hopefully he doesn't read RC Universe blogs. I hope to surprise him one of these days in Atlanta with my flying skills.)
Bev
Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Bev,
If you make it to Atlanta, let me now.
Just remember Exit 218 on I-75 and you are less than 1 mile from out field. (ATL is exit 249)
We are between exits 216 and 218 so we get a lot of people call the police about a downed aircraft behind the Bar-B-Q joint!
You and your uncle Al are welcome. Also, if I get down to that area, I will definately come by for a visit.
ORIGINAL: Skyhigh Bev

Hi Grumpy, Yes, flying the Ultimate has been the highlight of my "3 month career" so to speak. I was absolutely thrilled beyond belief. Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I do believe I am addicted. I can't believe I waited so many years to take it up. I watched my Uncle Al fly while I was a child. I never thought I would someday be able to fly myself. (Hopefully he doesn't read RC Universe blogs. I hope to surprise him one of these days in Atlanta with my flying skills.)
Bev
Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Geistware,
Absolutely, Thank you for the invitation...I can't wait to visit other fields...I'm going to have to find out which field Uncle Al goes to to fly his planes...maybe a little slight of hand talk with his son, my cousin. Not sure how many fields you have up there, but if an older WWII Navy vet named Al flies from your field...remember...MUM'S THE WORD...HE DOESN'T KNOW I FLY YET...I WANT TO SURPRISE HIM, AND MY COUSIN!!! And as to downed aircraft, around here people can see the jets from the two major highways when they plow into our field...quite exciting! And yes, come on down. Maybe by then you can see me master right pattern approach without causing anyone heart palpitations.
Bev
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 PM
rhowardsta

Hey Bev, When you say you are crabbing it in are you doing a controlled crab? If so I'm in envy! I have been flying about the same amount of time as you and dream of the day that I can finnish my 1/4 scale Cub and bring her in on a controlled crab to make a scale landing useing the crab to scrubb speed!Hey if your ever driving through Bowling Green Ky (I 65) stop in and check out our field! We'd be glad to have ya! Check out our web site at www.skymacrc.com!We have a lot of great guys too! They have been more than willing to share what they know and help me out...........You know sometimes I have to pinch my self to make sure I'm not dreaming.I have been watching and standing on the sidelines for about ten years and now,and I am finally able to join in the fun! The skies the limit![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 AM
the_madgenius

hello Bev, i have been watching this thread since it's inception, and it seems like you have reached the pinnacle in the popularity stakes, and so you should. It is gratifying to see a lady entering this hobby, and succeeding so well. So seeing as everyone is inviting you to their respective fields, i thought i would do the same. I am only down the bottom half of this planet, about 10inches on a standard school atlas map. So all joking aside , welcome to this wonderful hobby , and i wish you all the success in all you do.
Bill, down-under in Australia.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Skyhigh Bev

Hi Ray, I'd love to be able to say I can do a "controlled crab", however, I'm not that proficient with the rudder yet. Most of the time I''m managing to control the plane with my ailerons. Basically if I have a great landing like that, I'm still at the point of being grateful. We've got some piper cubs out at our field. Very graceful in the sky. Yes, I don't know why I waited so long to start flying either. I guess I thought everything was still scratch built...you know...plant the seed, grow the tree, chop it down, plane the wood, cure it, and whittle up an aircraft!!! Don't even discuss the transmitters...like Heathkits back then!!! I saved your clubs web site and will explore it later today. I have to answer another post, and then it's OFF TO THE FIELD TO FLY for a couple of hours or so!!
Bev
Old 08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Skyhigh Bev

Bill,
Well, G'day Mate!! Looks like I'll have to pull out the old atlas and find out where on that rock you are. Wonderful to talk to enthusiasts from around the world. We recently had an English Ship's Captain from Spain who flew out at our field for 3 months while his 150' mega yacht was in dry dock in Miami. He bought a bunch of planes while here to add to his collection to take with him when he had to take the yacht home. A group of us would fly till dark and then pop over to the sports bar and listen to him tell us stories of his flying club and field, and the other places he has flown in his travels. Turns out, prices for this RC stuff is quite high outside the U.S. Who knew! Thank you for the kind greetings and the invite. How about uploading a picture of your flying field.
Bev
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
the_madgenius

Hello again Bev, thankyou for the quick reply to my post. Now,,,, you have caught me short, i have been flying from this field for 6 years now , and haven't got a picture of it at all. But fear not, i will remedy that. In the mean while i will try to describe it for you. It is a private airfield , with a 6700 foot long runway, running east west. Now i don't need all that length to take off and land, so we only use 300 feet of it in the middle. Obstacles are non existant, visability unlimited, as it is a 400acre paddock. There is one hanger, housing a MauleM7 full size aircraft , and our club hut. The weather here is beautiful one day , perfect the next , all year round. The location of the field is right on the Tropic of Capricorn, the nearest BIG city to us is Rockhampton, 25 mile inland from us. So before i turn this into a Tourist Information Book, i will close it , having now made note to take photos next time i go up in the Maule.
Have a good day Bev , and many happy hours of flying
Bill
Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Bill, Looking forward to the pictures of your field. Wow, a 6700 ft runway...I would never have to learn right pattern. Even with a 40 mph tail wind, I could land and never run off the end!!! Ours is around 750-760 ft. by 50 ft wide. It also runs approx. SE to NW. I've uploaded a photo of the finished runway extension done last February. We do have trees and an expressway flyover at the East end and along the North side, but overall about 55 acres of flying field. This time of year we have afternoon thundershowers that come through. Sometimes you can just wait them out. The temperature is in the low 90's...brutal hot if there is no wind. I should have gotten into this hobby in the late fall...but it's been great for my tan!!! Your Chamber of Commerce would be proud of your description...and you get to see my favorite constellation "The Southern Cross". Of course it's also on your Flag!!!
Bev
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57812.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	513222  
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Not a problem, It is out secret.
I don't know of anyone fitting that description but then there are a LOT of clubs in the area and it all depends on which side of Atlanta he lives. Well if you get down, remember you have a 33% extra to fly when you want.
Take care and happy flying!
ORIGINAL: Skyhigh Bev

Geistware,
Absolutely, Thank you for the invitation...I can't wait to visit other fields...I'm going to have to find out which field Uncle Al goes to to fly his planes...maybe a little slight of hand talk with his son, my cousin. Not sure how many fields you have up there, but if an older WWII Navy vet named Al flies from your field...remember...MUM'S THE WORD...HE DOESN'T KNOW I FLY YET...I WANT TO SURPRISE HIM, AND MY COUSIN!!! And as to downed aircraft, around here people can see the jets from the two major highways when they plow into our field...quite exciting! And yes, come on down. Maybe by then you can see me master right pattern approach without causing anyone heart palpitations.
Bev
Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Geistware, Thanks again.... I believe he is still on the east side of town...and flying the 33% edge...you're on! Latest concern for me...Tropical Storm/Hurricane Ernesto...So how high do the winds go before I shouldn't fly my SkyRaider? (note to self: land w/rudder) LOL! I must be hooked...I'm more concerned with the park shutting down for a Hurricane than the Hurricane itself.
Bev
Old 08-27-2006, 10:16 PM
bkarstien

Bev and Joel I just bought the same plane it is my first. What engine are you running on it? How did it fly.

Thanks Bob
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Skyhigh Bev

bkarstien, I have an evolution 46 2stroke in the Sky Raider. I would suggest you put some stripes on the underside unless you got one with the yellow, blue or red tail. I believe those have matching undersides, unlike the beige that mine is. I'm enjoying mine. For future reference and maintenance, have clear packing tape handy. The monocoat tends to separate (the clear comes off the color underneath) and some of the monocoat seams let go too! Probably due to glo fuel, and the amount of strong sun mine sits in between flights. Hope you have good luck with yours as well. Let me know how you like flying it.
Bev
Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: the_madgenius

hello Bev, i have been watching this thread since it's inception, and it seems like you have reached the pinnacle in the popularity stakes, and so you should. It is gratifying to see a lady entering this hobby, and succeeding so well.
How about a young lady not only flying in but competing and WINNING the 2005 Bladder Grabber contest last year? The Bladder Grabber is one of the elite triple elimination events for AMA Fast Combat (control line) where the action is fast and furious. Nelson and Fora .36 engines screaming at 25,000 RPM and two models maneuvering with lightning speed - all withing a 120' hemisphere and speeds over 120 MPH.

[link=http://www.clcombat.info/bg2005.html]Bladder Grabber[/link]
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 AM
bkarstien

Bev

What did you use to put the stripes on with? I have the blue plane but under the wings are beige also. Thanks Bob
Old 08-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Skyhigh Bev

Bob, The hobby shop sells strips of peel and stick monocoat in different colors. I just decided on the layout and cut out what I needed. I was told that black was the best contrast and that the stripes should be at least 3 inches wide to show up well high in the sky. I also added stripes on the underside of the stab as well. There may be at least one picture in the "Bev & Joel" series that shows the full underside. Word of advise. After you add stripes to the wing, overlap the leading edge of the wing with a strip of clear packing tape. That way the edges of your new stripes won't start to peel off. Hope this helps. Let me know.
Bev
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Hi Bev,

Think about the pattern crowd... would love to have a female on the SE pattern scene....

Scott Anderson
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team Castle Creations
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
qaz393

ORIGINAL: Geistware

MinnFlyer,
It is Markham Park.
There is a photo gallary and they seem to have a great club.
I would have loved to seen Nu Nu's Corsair before the crash.
ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Bev, do you fly at Markham Park? If so, you have a very nice field. I was there last January to review a Seaplane (The water is kinda hard here in January)
are you talking about markham in canada or somewhere else???
Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
cjposada

Nope, it is Markham Park in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Skyhigh Bev

qaz393, That would be Markham Park in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. A very nice 55 acre airfield with a 750+ft asphalt runway set in a county park. We also have an electric field, a control-line field, and a separate lake for lake flyers as well. Here is a picture of it.
Bev
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52093.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	515440  
Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Skyhigh Bev

Generally speaking.......Our field is CLOSED today due to the Tropical Storm. I had planned to fly this morning. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER [][]...On the serious side, it looks like this thing won't gain hurricane status...hope all you guys who fly here are home and safe. See you after it blows through!!!
Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.