Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to Fuel. Need help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to Fuel. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 AM
maiden-crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Fuel. Need help.

Hey guys.

Ive been flying electric for a year and I am comfortable with my skills at flying. I can perform all aerobatics aswell. I dont know what you need for a fuel plane though. I know for electric you need a battery, esc, tx, rx and servo's. Can anyone provide a list of what I need and how to connect it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Tannerlb

Default RE: New to Fuel. Need help.

Well I am going to assume that you are looking for a Kit and by fuel; a glow plane. The stuff that I can think of off the top of my head is:

Plane Kit
Engine
Radio/Servers
Covering
Covering Iron
Fuel
Field Box (Extra Props, Starter)
Money: All of this costed me close to $1000 Canadain and that was about 3 years ago.

Thats really the general stuff that you would need. About how too connect it, its all in the instructions of your kit. Electrics are a lot diffrent then Glow planes so I would still suggest some sort of trainer. I am not quite sure what your flying skills are, you say you can do aerobatics, what kind of plane do you currently fly?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine mount, fuel tank, fuel line

Go to the 1/2A fourm and check out a plane called the DNU. You could build one for well under $50.00 using your radio gear and a $7.00 Cox sure start engine.

Darren
Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 AM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

The above list is good, but I thought of a few extra items that are handy.
1. Glow plug heater
2. Glow plugs (one may come with engine, but spares may be neccesary)
3. 12v starter with 12v power supply, or a "chicken stick" (for starting the engine)
4. If you want to go more technical, then a digital tachometer is nice to have
And Tannerlb and rrragmanliam have covered the rest.

As far as connecting it, just follow the instructions with the engine.

Good luck, glow power is awsome!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
LonestarMan

I would like to add to the list.
1.A good hat with a wide brim.
2.A good comfortable chair.
3.A good pair of sunglasses.
4.A secret checking account for all the new planes you're gonna get.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

The secret bank account is a must have!!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
beachyboy429

ive asked around alot and im still not sure. which would be the better way to go in higher winds, electrics or glow? im sort of leaning twards glow because theyre powerful and dont lose power twards the end of the flight, and the flight time is unlimited. any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
LonestarMan

Well Beach,IMO, glow is good if you have access to a good club and flying field. I have been a glow kinda guy for about 15 years so I'm a little biased. Electrics, from what I see Don't like a lot of wind unless you go with the high-dollar stuff. Also you can usually fly at any softball field,park, or any good-sized open and unobstructed space.So if you can swing it, try and get a demo of both and then make your decision.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 AM
maiden-crash

Hi.

Thanks for the quick replies guys and the great information. To answer your questions, I can do all basic maneuvres such as rolls, lopps, split s and immulman turns and inverted flight. Im lookinh into the world models cap 232 with the castrol scheme.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 AM
ksubigbuck

I don't own the Cap, but I think it is pretty wicked in terms of aerobatics. You will have your hands full with that plane. Check out the World Models Skyraider Mach 2 or the Sig 4 Star. Both are easy fliers that can also be very aerobatic without any bad tendencies.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 AM
maiden-crash

Hi again.

Guys, do I have to get a power panels as well?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 06:37 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: maiden-crash

Hi again.

Guys, do I have to get a power panels as well?

Thanks
Not necessarily. Personally, I use the glow driver in the power panel and glow connector for starting my planes. I like this because it gives me control over how much power I send to the glow plug. Since I hand start my plane engines, this works well for me. Another alternative that works fine is one of the big 1.5v dry cells with a glow connector.

Others use a glow ignitor and electric starter. In this case, the power panel isn't strictly necessary, you can clip the starter directly to the battery. However, even in this case the power panel can allow you to hide the battery in a compartment and then put banana plugs on the end of the starter.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

The single most improtant thing you need is a flying club! Find it, join it, learn from it and you will have more fun with less heartache and aggravation.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
rlipsett

I have no idea what kind of electrics you have flown but if they are of the park flyer type then when you go to glow fuel you will notice an increase in speed. Because of this I suggest you have an instructor with you to help with your transition even though you say you are a competent flyer you might need a little help on the first few flights till you get used to faster approaches which can damage an airplane more then small electric park flyers
Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 AM
maiden-crash

Thanks again.

Ok, now im really confused. So Its possible to start a engine with your hands but you still need a starter and a glow plug igniter (i dont know what that is)?

Sorry for the trouble[]
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 AM
maiden-crash

Im really only looking for the things that I need to get a glow plane airborne.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Red B.

Ok, now im really confused. So Its possible to start a engine with your hands but you still need a starter and a glow plug igniter (i dont know what that is)?
A [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=PDB]glow plug starter[/link] (or igniter) is needed to light the glow plug. Once the engine has started the glow plug keeps glowing because of a catalytic process between methanol and the platinum/rhodium alloy in the glow plug so the igniter is no longer needed. As an alternative one can use a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=PAB]power panel[/link] with a glow plug clip attached. IMHO a power panel offers almost no advantage over a glow plug starter for starting an engine.

Starting an engine has a certain knack to it. You can do it by hand, prefferably using a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=PCH]chicken stick[/link] or by using an electric starter. Some people find an electric starter more convenient, but that is mostly a matter of preference (or engine knowledge).

If you are on a "minimum budget" I would suggest the glow plug starter, chicken stick approach. Only if you find it impossible to start the engine, go ahead and buy an electric starter. N.B. In the latter case you also need to purchase a 12V lead acid battery to power the panel. Don't forget to make up something to restrain your aircraft when starting the engine. A rope looped around the tail of the aircraft, attached to a big old screw driver driven into the gruound will suffice.

For a good description on how to start a glow engine by jand have a look at this site:
[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/model_aircraft_engines/starting.htm]www.airfieldmodels.com[/link].

Good luck and welcome to the world of model engines!

/Red B.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 AM
maiden-crash

Wow, thanks so much, I think I finally understand it. So All that I really need is a glow plug igniter because I can start the engine by hand.

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 AM
piper_chuck

Wow, thanks so much, I think I finally understand it. So All that I really need is a glow plug igniter because I can start the engine by hand.

Thanks a lot!
Yes, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First, I've never been happy using a glow ignitor for hand starting. The problem is some seem to work well and others don't. Since most give you no control over how much power goes to the plug, many don't seem to give a strong enough glow for reliable hand starting. Personally, I prefer the driver on a power panel because they allow you to control the power going to the plug.

For reference, I rarely bring a starter to the field. Most people I see using the glow ignitors use an electric starter most of the time. Nothing wrong with this, I just prefer to hand start.

If you compare the costs, the power panel route will cost more (panel $18 + battery $12 + glow lead $5 = $35) versus $15-20 for a glow starter. Also consider that the battery/panel setup will weigh more, how much more depends on what size you end up buying. For me, the slightly higher weight and expense is worth it, I feel it provides more reliable starting.

The next, and more important thing is that hand starting puts your finger closer to the prop. If you're new, it's best to buy or make a chicken stick. There are plenty of commercial models, or you can just wrap some electrical tape around a good size dowel or other round stick.

One final comment on hand starting. Reliable hand starting requires learning to prime your engine. If you don't do this, you can end up wearing out your arm flipping the engine. Before connecting the glow power, open the throttle all the way. Cover the carb with your finger or thumb and flip the prop several times with your other hand. When you see the fuel make it's way through the line and into the carb, give it one or two more flips to be sure you have some in the engine. Don't get carried away priming, you can flood it too. When it's got a bit of fuel in it you will hear a slight gurgling when you flip the prop. Then lower the throttle back to idle, connect the glow power, and flip the engine. If you've primed correctly, it will start on the first or second flip.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 PM
maiden-crash

Ok, that makes sence. Does flipping mean turning though?
Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One final comment on hand starting. Reliable hand starting requires learning to prime your engine. If you don't do this, you can end up wearing out your arm flipping the engine. Before connecting the glow power, open the throttle all the way. Cover the prop with your finger or thumb and flip the prop several times with your other hand. When you see the fuel make it's way through the line and into the carb, give it one or two more flips to be sure you have some in the engine. Don't get carried away priming, you can flood it too. When it's got a bit of fuel in it you will hear a slight gurgling when you flip the prop. Then lower the throttle back to idle, connect the glow power, and flip the engine. If you've primed correctly, it will start on the first or second flip.
In Chuck's above quoted description of flip starting replace the bold "prop" with "carb ventri".
Old 08-16-2006, 05:23 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

One final comment on hand starting. Reliable hand starting requires learning to prime your engine. If you don't do this, you can end up wearing out your arm flipping the engine. Before connecting the glow power, open the throttle all the way. Cover the prop with your finger or thumb and flip the prop several times with your other hand. When you see the fuel make it's way through the line and into the carb, give it one or two more flips to be sure you have some in the engine. Don't get carried away priming, you can flood it too. When it's got a bit of fuel in it you will hear a slight gurgling when you flip the prop. Then lower the throttle back to idle, connect the glow power, and flip the engine. If you've primed correctly, it will start on the first or second flip.
In Chuck's above quoted description of flip starting replace the bold "prop" with "carb ventri".
Oops, good catch! Must not have had enough coffee!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 AM
piper_chuck

Ok, that makes sence. Does flipping mean turning though?
Yup.