Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha? >

CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CG Eagle 2 or H9 Alpha?

The difference between your "standard" voltmeter and the ESV or "Expanded Scale Voltmeter" your instructor used is that his puts a load on the batteries while testing to get a true measure of the condition of your batteries. You probably fully charged your batteries but may have then "tinkered" on the plane for some time without recharging. As I said in an earlier positng, I think, the initial charge should be a full 24 hrs on a new set of batteries. After that run the radios as little as possible to keep the batteries charged. If the radios are on, the batteries are going down. Anytime you are going to fly, put the batteries on charge the evening before and through the night. These times are based on using the MFG supplied "wall-wart" chargers.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

The difference between your "standard" voltmeter and the ESV or "Expanded Scale Voltmeter" your instructor used is that his puts a load on the batteries while testing to get a true measure of the condition of your batteries. You probably fully charged your batteries but may have then "tinkered" on the plane for some time without recharging. As I said in an earlier positng, I think, the initial charge should be a full 24 hrs on a new set of batteries. After that run the radios as little as possible to keep the batteries charged. If the radios are on, the batteries are going down. Anytime you are going to fly, put the batteries on charge the evening before and through the night. These times are based on using the MFG supplied "wall-wart" chargers.
I actually followed your advice and put it on the charger Thursday afternoon and left it until Friday evening. (around 26 hours) We then put the plane together and put it back on the charger around 10-11 pm Friday night until we took it of at 8:30am Saturday morning. (so another 8-9 hours)

My instructor suggested that when we get home that we completed the batteries and then put another 24 hour charge on them. So I that is what we did. Probably won't fly again until next weekend.

Was researching battery chargers, cyclers, and the such this weekend.

BTW, Millington Barnstormers is having an event this Saturday that is open to the public.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 AM

I think you have seen how that meter may have saved your plane though. They can be inexpensive
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNK81&P=7
and still do the job. Naturally, there are more expensive ones too. All are cheaper than your plane. I'm glad your instructor caught it. You can also p[lug one of these into your reciever port and constantly monitor voltage(whenever radio is on).
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ2&P=ML
Some put one of these in each plane and leave it there, like under a canopy where it can be seen. This hobby has lots of "gadgets", some useful .
Old 08-21-2006, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I think you have seen how that meter may have saved your plane though. They can be inexpensive
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNK81&P=7
and still do the job. Naturally, there are more expensive ones too. All are cheaper than your plane. I'm glad your instructor caught it. You can also p[lug one of these into your reciever port and constantly monitor voltage(whenever radio is on).
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ2&P=ML
Some put one of these in each plane and leave it there, like under a canopy where it can be seen. This hobby has lots of "gadgets", some useful .
Yes, we were going to buy that Friday afternoon, but decided that we could use a regular volt meter in the short term. The LHS guy told us that the Hobbico meter puts a load on it which I later learned was a simulated servo load. I have also heard that you can do the same thing with a 500 ohm resistor or something, but $10 won't break the bank. The instructor had the digital version of this meter ($25) that we used, but the analog will be fine for us.

Still researching chargers though.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 AM

NightOne,I knew you would like it. I have flown the .40 and .60 sized. If I didn't have so many other planes, I would get one. Anyway I'm glad you decided to postpone da P-51 thang. Also some added advice, do a onceover and check all bolts,screws and attachment points and use threadlocker where needed. Also one of the thangs I do is keep a wrag or towel or somethin' over da engine to keep dust and dirt out. These li'l engines are strong but they don't like alot of debris w/ da fuel. Also inline fuel filters help e.g. Dubro or Sullivan. Enjoy!!!!!!!.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM

Congratulations on your maiden flight
I use the onboard battery monitor (Voltwatch) like what Bruce showed on all my airplanes. I can see at a glance how much juice I have left.
I also have an expanded scale meter but unless you install an external charging jack on your plane you will have to take your wing off to test the battery (hence the convenience of Voltwatch)
Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Missileman

Congratulations on your maiden flight
I use the onboard battery monitor (Voltwatch) like what Bruce showed on all my airplanes. I can see at a glance how much juice I have left.
I also have an expanded scale meter but unless you install an external charging jack on your plane you will have to take your wing off to test the battery (hence the convenience of Voltwatch)
Our instructor actually had us leave the charge lead hanging out a little underneath the wing. I was baffled by this a little bit at first, but realized why he did it before the 2nd flight. The solutions you and Bruce suggested are defintely much cleaner and nicer though.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM

One of these on the non-exhaust side of your plane would hold your charging plug also. No more fishing for the connector when charging and it has a "home" on the side of the plane where it is out of the way and clean.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE965&P=ML

This is the JR version which you would probably need, there is another for Futaba which I use. I always keep a couple on the shelf in my shop. BTW, I don't use the rubber cap.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Just an update... and again..thanks to all for their tips and advice.

I have now flown the Alpha 60 several times now.

I have landed at least 10 times including my very first flight. I soloed my last time out. I still need to improve though. (need to get this thing inverted about 6 foot over the field)

Father and my wife have flown it a few times as well but have not gotten skilled enough to attempt landings.

The Alpha 60 was a great choice for us.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 PM

I'm glad it's working out well for you. I'd wait a couple of more weeks on the 6' inverted thing though. That plane isn't the most stable inverted. It can be done but more like balancing on a pin.