Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how high can an rc plane fly ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how high can an rc plane fly ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Raad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how high can an rc plane fly ?

al salam alaikum ..

hello all ,

i was wondering how high an rc plane can fly and if the new DSM controlers cn go higher than regular raido .. i would guess that a glider would be the highest !!and stays longer in the air ...

i would like to see mine go really high up but i dont want to lose control of it .. please help me decide i am onfused in whih type is best for me .. i saw some RTR gliders for a reallly good price on the net electric gliders from revolosion shop .. please let me know what is a good startr RTR for less then $150 US dollars .thank you

Raad
Old 08-27-2006, 05:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: how high can an rc plane fly ?

To be totally honest with you, you can have control of the plane up to a 1-1/2 miles. If you convert that to "height" is close to 8,000 feet. Trust me, you won't be able to see the plane that high.

Ken
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Raad

al salam alaikum ..

hey Ken .... is that with normal controler ..like the ones that come with RTF planes ?

i would like to go up to 7000 or 5000 as long as it is high ... i really got excited now!! i was building a boat i think amma go for a plane with those spy cams..

Thank you Ken

Raad
Old 08-27-2006, 05:33 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've flown a 14' wingspan glider out of sight vertically. I've always wondered how high it was when I should have started it back down. And never had a clue how high it went after the teeny little dot turned to blue.

Have also turned a couple of dots that started out being 2m wings into invisible (ok... no-longer-visible) dots. But they wouldn't have been as far up as the 14footer was.

Maynard Hill set a world altitude record back in the 70s. They flew the airplane from an antiaircraft gun carriage that had binocular sights. The pilot flew from one side of the carriage using the high power glasses. A "gun aimer" was working from the other side of the carriage using less powerful glasses. He kept the airplane centered in the sights. They wrote the story of the flights for one of the model magazines. I think it was MAN, but not sure.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you wanna speck out a glider...... grin.......

Step right into the classroom here son....... chuckle

The radios of the 70s and 80s had little or no trouble doing that. The signal has little problem going straight up. However, it's not every day you're going to find lift that suits your purpose.

Let me offer two suggestions:

The glider best suited will have dihedral sufficient to be securely stable in roll. As soon as your glider reaches the altitude it's become a dot, you will have little or no way to control an aileron glider that has marginal roll stability. Polyhedral gliders will almost always work. Some aileron gliders will too.

Adopt this rule: The glider will become a couple of dots when it's gotten VERY high. Those two dots will be a big one (the wing), followed by a small one (the empennage). At some greater altitude, those two dots become one dot. The rule is, when you can only see one dot, it's time to come down. Because the next "threshold" image is when that single dot "goes away". And that ain't good.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

What is this "al salam alaikum" ? Maby you don't need a plane, at least not in the USA! But seriously, it can go no higher than you can see it or you will not know which way to control it.
I put one so high one time, I had to chop the throttle, snap it. and just let it fall back down to where I could see it.

Bob
Old 08-28-2006, 03:33 AM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If memory serves me well, "Al Salam Alaikum" is the greeting of Muslims, It means "Peace be upon you" or something like that.

Not so long ago, I flew [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4132418/anchors_4132418/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4132418]my former trainer[/link] (a Super Frontier 40, before it [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4273731/anchors_4273731/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4273731]returned to its original plain wood state[/link]) so high I could only see a small green dot up high, and everything was just fine untill a full scale comming for a land at the local airport passed between me and the trainer (in other words, UNDER my trainer), boy I got scared [&:]
Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 AM
Raad

al salam alaikum ...

hello all .. thank you for ur info ! al salam alaikum means as joe said peace be upon u ... or i come in peace, thank you for ur paitence...

i am still woundering what eginners RTF is the best to start with and still can go as high as ur saying .. i have an old easystar but we broke the tail on its first take off...but i realy liked how fast the elctric gliders can gain ALT ...please advise me !

Raad
Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

You keep referring to a beginner RTF. If that is to imply that you haven't really learned to fly yet, I would work on that first. In order to go for some kind of crazy altitude, you must first learn to fly!! It is hard enough at a reasonable altitude of 3 mistakes high, much less way up there where your plane becomes 2 dots like darock is referring to. He's been around a long time & I'm sure if you ask him, he'll tell ya he didn't learn to fly at 5000 ft!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: Raad
... i was wondering how high an rc plane can fly...
Considering the number of reviews and postings claiming "unlimited vertical performance" there must be an awful lot of aircraft in orbit by now :-).

Seriously, the range of your radio will probably allow to fly an aircraft out of sight.

/Red B.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Not to be prejudiced or anything but it makes me wonder why someone in Egypt would want to know how high an RC plane can go.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

whenever someone new comes to the field wanting to watch us fly, they usually ask how far/high can you fly that plane,i just say as far as i can see it,which for me is about 400 yards......lol.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: rclement
Not to be prejudiced or anything but it makes me wonder why someone in Egypt would want to know how high an RC plane can go.
There are newcomers to R/C modelling not only in the U.S., but abroad as well.

/Red B.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Missileman

It really doesn't make sense to worry about altittude questions like this no matter who from.
1.At very high altitudes a pilot would not be able to see the aircraft well enough to have any meaningfull control over it.
2. Those that would mean us harm already have much better means and funding than RC airplanes.
For Raad:
If you do attempt high altitude flight you might want to look into an altimeter (Can be bought pretty inexpensively from hobby shops dealing in sport rocketry) it would be nice to know just how high you went.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown 8’ span gliders higher than they could be seen. You are in very deep trouble when it goes into a cloud at altitude.

Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Red B.

There are newcomers to R/C modelling not only in the U.S., but abroad as well.

/Red B.
You're right. I stand corrected.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Raad

al salam alaikum (peace be upon u )

HI all , thank you for ur replies ... well, yes i am a beginner , but a person has to start somewhere and i want to save up and get a starter that would also fly high once i got got the grip .. and lets be honest .. no one ever goes the speed limit unless u see the highway trooper ! what i am saying is that once i think i got the grip i will start going high not high to lose my money and not low to stay a beginner !

but i still cannot find the right plane .. i seen those flying wings from park flyers and i have seen some electric gliders from the revolosionshop on ebay the gliders are for less than $150 but the wings coast more ! please advise me on the best glider ...

Raad