Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plan? a scat??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plan? a scat??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plan? a scat??

Hi i think i just found my second plane id like to knw what you think. its a scat cat they have been out of preduction and i can get a used one for nice and cheap will this thing be impossible to fly?

What do you think?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Second plan? a scat??

Not a good choice... I've been flying Scat cat's for bout 15 years now... Fun fairly fast little buggers that will do most anything in the book IF you know how to handle them. Even with a good .36 on a pipe it will be over 100 MPH. They can be a handful on take-off... the tail comes up fast and if your not ready it WILL nose over...good control of the rudder and elevator is a must. Once airborne they can fly all out or fairly slow... they are more aerobatic than most speed planes and carve so nice WFO... they really like WFO I think your biggest problem will be landing... they tend to glide FOREVER and land HOT... no 3 pointing a scat cat... once the mains touch you again have to have good elevator rudder control until the tail wheel settles in. All in all it's not a good choice... A GP supersportster would be a good prep for a scat cat.

John
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Flying freak

Wow thast not the answere i wanted to hear [&:] lol. I was planning on putting an thinder tiger 46 so yea it will scream across the sky oo well i think il still buy it now that i ahve the opertunity and leave it in the hanger next year il race it....
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
jsn

If the price is right then buy it and hang it... once your ready you'll really enjoy it... it is a sweat flying plane

John
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I Agree With jsn It Is A Hot Ship And A Ton O f Fun.I Put A 42 On Mine.Not A secound Ship.Pick It Up Any Way You Can't Go Wrong.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

It'd be a decent third or fourth airplane I suppose... The speed may take a while to get used to- A good betweened plane is the Ultra-Sport, they are easy to fly but the speed is faster than average so that'd help ya...

BTW- My Scat-Cat did not have a rudder [X(]

I would rather see you flying the Scatcat instead of a Warbird or something...Keep us posted!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:27 PM
jsn

BTW- My Scat-Cat did not have a rudder
Yeah... some use them some don't... when I built my first cat a good friend suggested adding the rudder... the second servo also helps balance out the plane. The rudder really makes this plane shine as a sport/speed plane... take-off is easier in wind and you don't have to do a Pylon launch unless you want to... it really help's the plane in the air also... makes it more sport like... just for the heck of it I built one without rudder... I added it after the first few flight's once you go rudder you'll never go back

John
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Flying freak

This one does have a rudder i dont really see the whole problem to taking off you give it 3 clicks of "up" elevator full throtal and throw it and its off

it looks easier then it is isnt it?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 PM
jsn

This one does have a rudder i dont really see the whole problem to taking off you give it 3 clicks of "up" elevator full throtal and throw it and its off
No gear??? why would you throw it if it has gear? not that it can't be done... hang enough motor off the nose(piped O.S. 46 works nicely)... throttle up... point it straight up... let go

John
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: jsn

No gear??? why would you throw it if it has gear? not that it can't be done... hang enough motor off the nose(piped O.S. 46 works nicely)... throttle up... point it straight up... let go

John

No it has gear just why take off when you have an os 46 fx with a tuned piped lol he odesnt point iot strait up but at a 60 degree about it doesnt seem that hard

he is going to upgrad it to a rosi 40 with a tuned pip i cant wait to see it then it will claim strait up
Old 09-21-2006, 07:24 PM
jsn

Flying freak... you seem to have lot's of experience around this plane... only you can answer if it's right for you as second plane... if the owner is willing to work with you... let you fly it and get used to and give advice on a buddy box it may not be a bad choice after all. Hand launching is not that hard... thing is without experience if ANYTHING goes wrong you'll probably not react fast enough making the needed correction... for safety sake I don't recommend hand launching ANY plane by yourself... it can be tricky enough when someone else is doing the tossing Having said that I hand launch 3 of the planes I own.

John
Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: jsn

Flying freak... you seem to have lot's of experience around this plane... only you can answer if it's right for you as second plane... if the owner is willing to work with you... let you fly it and get used to and give advice on a buddy box it may not be a bad choice after all. Hand launching is not that hard... thing is without experience if ANYTHING goes wrong you'll probably not react fast enough making the needed correction... for safety sake I don't recommend hand launching ANY plane by yourself... it can be tricky enough when someone else is doing the tossing Having said that I hand launch 3 of the planes I own.

John
Well there are two pioloit one is a scat owner and the other is the seller

Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Scat Cat for my first low wing which was built in 1980 and powered by an Irving .40 Mk II. It wasn't all that fast and with the throttle reduced and with setting the surface movements conservatively I think it’s doable. I have over 2500 flights on mine wearing out 3 engines and one transmitter in the process. An OS .32 would probably fly it quite nicely but will limit the vertical performance. An OS .40 or .46 LA would be an ideal engine for it as a second plane since you won’t be racing it – a BB .46 like the TT Pro or OS AX mount won’t fit the firewall on mine. With dual rates on a radio, setting docile control throws should be no problem. Mine has a Goldberg wing tip skid for a tail skid, but also has a rudder. I usually had someone to help do a pylon start so it was no problem and with the Irving .40 Mk II it was off the ground in 5’ or less. It was able to ROG, but initial direction control was a bear. If you can somehow incorporate a steerable tail wheel I would highly recomend it (I've seen it done, but don't remember how it was done).

With a buddy box and someone to work with, you should be able to handle it. It’s a great sport plane, but nothing like a docile a trainer. The low speed ground handling manners are not the best but it also can be a good teacher of using that left stick. You do have to fly it all the way down to the ground. Like JSN said, it is a floater in ground effect which is worsened by the wing sitting as close to the ground as it does land hotter than most sport planes (but so did most of the 500 class racers of that day).

Also the Scat Cat kit is still available from Lone Star.

Hogflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54106.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	528100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65271.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	528101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91558.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	528102  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
jsn

If you can somehow incorporate a steerable tail wheel I would highly recomend it (I've seen it done, but don't remember how it was done).
What I did on all of mine was split the elevator, clearance each half for rudder throw and run the rudder to the bottom of the fuse... most any tail wheel will work this way. I joined the elevators in two way's... with a joiner rod and split push rod controlling one horn on each elevator half... the latter was the best... I never had a problem with push rod flex BUT I did have the joined elevators warp now and then... nothing so bad it could not be fixed easily but still a PIA.

John
Old 09-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Flying freak

What s the flying time for these things i have been told that it is 4 to 5 minutes.. thast it??? im assuming a .46 with the standered tank. does that sound right to you?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM
bruce88123

http://www.lonestar-models.com/ $50
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
hogflyer

Depends on your engine, throttle control and the size of your tank. If I remember correctly, I used to get 15 min on flying at 1/2 throttle, but don't remember if I had an 8 or 10 oz tank. I think it was an 8 oz due to the restricted size of the fuel tank compartment, and it's been quite a while since I had a tank in the plane. Once airborn the Scat Cat doesn't require much power at all.

Hogflyer