Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

After Run Oil

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

After Run Oil

Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM
threechannel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil

Where do you put the after run oil in an O.S. FS 70 surpass ll engine?

In the carburator?

threechannel
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 PM
pywackit

Default RE: After Run Oil

Threechannel, just put a few drops down the carb throat and turn the prop a few times and she's good.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
rwright142

What I was instructed to do was to pump out the fuel from the tank then run the engine until it stops. Then, try to start it again just to make sure all of the fuel was out of the engine. Then, fill up the carb with the oil, turn the prop a couple of turns then repeat the process 2-3 times. This makes sure that no fuel is in the engine and that the oil is thoroughly in the engine.
I use Marvel Mystery Oil as that is what most of the chaps I spend time with use.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 PM
perreback

You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#3981066
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM
rwright142

I should have noted that the procedure I outlined above was for a 2 stroke, but I did not realize that adding the oil is different in a 4 stroke.
Nice thread reference, thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
NCIS

After run oil is a waste of time in my opinion. When you burn the remaining fuel out of your engine you don't have any fuel or nito left, just castrol and that is plenty to lube the engine and protect the bearings. I don't use synthetic oil. I have seen to many people fry their engines running 100% synthetic. Again this is just my opinion.

Gibbs
Old 09-22-2006, 07:25 PM
stephen9

I had a small 2 stroke a few years ago that i found lying with some old gear and i could even turn the prop it was so gummed up so i just kept pumping nitro into it and within 5 minutes it was as good as new and running great .Can someone please explain the what is the point of after run oil as i have seen it around but dont see a need for it ???.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: NCIS

After run oil is a waste of time in my opinion. When you burn the remaining fuel out of your engine you don't have any fuel or nito left, just castrol and that is plenty to lube the engine and protect the bearings. I don't use synthetic oil. I have seen to many people fry their engines running 100% synthetic. Again this is just my opinion.

Gibbs
Gibbs, Castor will gum the works especially if the engine will be dormant for several months. In the Surpass II engine, the bearings are of two different metals. This alone can set up an electrolosis problem leading to corrosion. Glow fuel is mostly methyl alcohol, and by nature, this substance is hygroscophic (It attracts water) You need something that will remain liquid and will displace any moisture that you might incur. My advice is to use the marvel mystery oil with a light shot of type F automatic transmission fluid mixed in. A little goes a long way. Be sure to flush the engine prior to running again. Too much after run oil could lead to a nasty hydraulic problem when you spin the engine using an electric starter.

There are many different schools of thought surrounding the use of After run oil, but that one has worked well for me for years.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have an engine that's being taken out of service I will make sure the insides have a good light coat of oil to keep the inside of the engine from rusting and going bad. But for "after run" oil I don't worry about it. I run the fuel out of the engine, clean up, and load up the plane. I've tried after run oil in the past and IMHO it's just an added step (and expense) that isn't needed. I also feel that when I used after run oil I seemed to go through glow plugs quicker. Without after run oil I have glow plugs on their 4ths summer of flying!!!!

Ken
Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

It just makes me feel good knowing the methanol is out and some oil is in protecting the bearings. It's not much bother for me, but it is an extra thing to do before packing up. I have had a couple of bearings rust on me in the past and that's what makes me want to do it. It's just personal preference I guess. If you don't think your bearings are in danger of getting little rust pits, then don't worry about it. Castor provides quite a bit of protection, but I think it's still good to at least burn out the methanol to keep from drawing in moisture from the air. Have you ever left tool steel out in the rain? It's amazing how fast the rust forms. Again, the castor will help protect it, but I just feel better adding the oil.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
threechannel

Upon further review I read the manual for the OS FS 70 ll Surpass and it says to (take out the glow plug and add a few drops of after run oil into the plug hole then flip the prop over a few times).

I also have an O.S. 46 AX and "that" manual says (Do not inject after run oil into the carburetor as this may cause the O-Ring inside the carburetor to deteriorate)!

(This procedure will reduce the risk of starting difficulties and of internal corrosion after a period of storage) it also states!

Therefore, I will only use After Run Oil whenever I plan on storing an engine for a period of time!

Hmmmm! A friend of mine had an O.S. 40 stored in a cold garage for 5 years. Did nothing to it after his last flight, got it back down 5 years later, blew the dust off of it and it started right up! The engine is still going strong!

I'm gonna do like RC Ken mentioned. Forget about the after run oil (and save my money for more planes)!

Edit; If I crank up an engine around 14,000 rpm's and it don't knock off any rust, I don't want that engine period!

jimmy
Old 09-23-2006, 07:25 AM
rwright142

Perhaps it should be renamed "After run oil, but only if your engine is not going to be run for several months...:

I should have clarified my statement, I do not see a need for it during the flying 'season' but for my planes that will be hangared for quite a while before being ran then I will add it to those engines - just to be safe. IMHO it's an expense that I am willing to part with, considering the cost of a new engine.

One question, if I am going to be flying within a few weeks of running an engine, should I drain the tank anyway?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 AM
rlipsett

the os 40 was it an la or fx. the la has bushings and therefore will not rust out its non existent bearings that an fx would have. I use air tool oil at 5 dollars a a quart it is very economical. I run my engines out of fuel at the end of the days flying to remove any alcohol and then put a couple of drops of air tool oil in it. Mostly I do this because I have 8 aircraft and any plane I fly one week might not see action for a month or so. I also cap my carbs and plug my exhausts. the exhaust mainly to keep residue from running out and ruining the inside of vehicles. I regards to synthetic oil it has the ability to allow engines to be burned up easier then castor oil when the engine is lean out to a dangerous setting because synthetic breaks down with heat easier then castor but you still have a destructive situation with the castor just the damage accumulation is much slower with the castor because it breaks down slower but also leaves a plane slimier then synthetic.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:04 PM
super tigre

I only use after run oil at the end of the season and my planes will be stored for a couple of months.I have never had a problem.
As for draining the tank,I allways drain the tank before I head home from the field. After the last flight of the day, I pinch the fuel line until the engine stalls to be sure all the fuel is burned then I drain the tank.
Steve
AMA 511248