Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

first nitro trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

first nitro trainer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM
ZaChMw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first nitro trainer

oh i tryed helies and i couldent do it so on my simulater i tryed a plane and i found it was alot easyer and more fun to fly so im thinking about ordering this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ555&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ555&P=0[/link] any sugestions would be great thx
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first nitro trainer

Its a good little trainer. Just don't over power it. Just want to make sure you realize it's a kit, not an ARF as most people seem to prefer an ARF. Building a kit is a good way to go - when you have to reapair it (or any other plane for that matter - you will eventually learn to do repairs) you already know how it was built and have the plans if necessary to assist. You also have control over the quality you don't have with an ARF.

Hogflyer
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Missileman

I suggest you join a local club and get proper instruction.
The plane in your link is a little on the smaller size but is a fine trainer.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
ZaChMw

should i pick a biger one? i want to get a kit because i want to know how to build one as wel as fly one.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 PM
hogflyer

The .40 size trainer is the most popular, but there is nothing wrong with the PT-20. I've flown a lot of smaller planes and they fly just fine. They are also less expensive to run - your gallon of fuel lasts a lot longer.

I've got a Balsa USA Stick 30 framed up just for a play around plane - it's in the same class the PT-20, and I've built it up for 3-channel (R/E/T) and will power it with a .15. For the PT-20 I'd with the OS .25 LA - it will be excellent for it, just don't go any larger as it is not required.

And as Missileman says, get into a club so you can have an instructor get you off on the right foot. I'd actually get into a club before you start building as there will be the experience there to help give you some additional pointers with the build also.

Hogflyer
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
super tigre

I also suggest you join a club for proper instruction,the tower trainer is fine although I would suggest you go with a .40 or a .60 size they are bigger and easer to see what it is doing in the air.Most new flyers often get the plane to far out when learning to fly so the bigger size just makes it easer to see.
Steve
AMA#511248
Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM
buzzlightyear

I'm a beginner too. I had a Skyward .25 and when I got to the field with this plane, everybody told me to get a bigger one because I fly smoother and it's easier to see in the air. Now I have a Alpha 40 with a .46 OS engine and let me tell you I love it!

Pierre
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
hogflyer

The Alpha 40 is a great trainer. I'm training a guy on one right now - I really like the way it flies. The .46 is a good engine for it, just remember to throttle back to make it easier to fly.

Hogflye
Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My son and I built this trainer from the kit:

This is the Sig Kadet LT-40. It is a 40 sized trainer but a little larger than the average trainer in this class. It comes in a kit version, an ARF version and RTF version which includes engine and radio already installed.

The Kadet is easy to build and very easy to fly. Most important recommendation is to join a club and get their help. Trying to learn to fly by yourself is hard on models and dangerous to your friends.

Wingspan is 70" and wing area 900 square inches. Throttled back, it is like flying a glider around. Any 40-50 sized engine will work great. Ours is powered by a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro. We have over 30 successful flights on it now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18818.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	533956  
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
ZaChMw

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB9&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB9&P=0[/link] how about this one?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: ZaChMw

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB9&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB9&P=0[/link] how about this one?
Good one, Go with the at least a 40 to 46 size engine
Old 10-02-2006, 08:01 PM
jeff1127

That Eagle II is a great first build. I'm building one now.
If you could get some stick time on an already built trainer you wouldn't have to wait to get in the air. That could save some of the frustration you might get building if like me you have to suspend the build for whatever reason.

I thought I would have the thing ready in a month and be in the air already but other things happen. It's been since July already. ARGGHH!!!!!

Just a suggestion so you don't get discouraged and give it up and as Missleman said joing a club and getting an instructor to learn flying is great but you will also find many helpful people that can help you with a build too.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Fastsky

Flight wise the Eagle flys and lands faster than the LT40. It flys just fine but is not as sturdy a plane as the LT40. If you look at the pic under the wing saddle there is a thin frame of wood and windows underneath. I have seen the wing saddle on some of these planes start to break apart. The LT40 only has a black stick decal to simulate windows and is more solid. Of the 2, I like the LT40 better for training. [8D]
Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

living in nashua you should stop in at r/c buyers warehouse and see what they have available plus get to know what clubs are around and what is being used there.you should visit a field before you buy to see what instructers are available and what their recommendations are.