Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building a flight box

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building a flight box

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:58 PM
nova40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a flight box

I've been flying for a few months now, using a small plastic fishing-tackle type flight box i got with my kit. It holds all my spares ok but theres only just room for my new flight panel (used to use a glostart) and battery, with no room for fuel. Id like to scratch-build my own box with room for all my gear, including tx. does anybody have any pointers/suggestions? Any advice on design or construction would be much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:15 PM
den1tjb

If making a single box big enough to hold all the gear, I would suggest putting it on wheels. The flight box I custom made holds everything but the TX (I built I separate box for those) and it is VERY heavy. I will post some pics later this evening when I get home from work. Just make something that you will enjoy. That is the great part about custom building your own!
Old 01-16-2003, 02:05 AM
den1tjb

Default Field Box

Home from work....here are some pictures of the field box. It has 4 drawers in the front with a removable starter battery and power panel. (if concealing the 12V battery, be sure to allow proper ventilation while charging. It took one battery to teach me to put the cooling holes in)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47644_21090.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	29446  
Old 01-16-2003, 02:06 AM
den1tjb

Default Another...

Here it is with the battery removed.

Name:	47645_21090.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	29447  
Old 01-16-2003, 02:07 AM
den1tjb

Default The TX case

Here is the separate case I built for the TX.

Name:	47646_21090.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	29448  
Old 01-16-2003, 02:11 AM
den1tjb

Default and finally

This is the inside of the TX case. Lined the top with hospital bed foam, and filled the bottom with great stuff expanding foam and trimmed it as necessary. Hope I gave you some ideas. Again, I suggest making something on wheels. It's amazing how much a little pine, fuel, a battery and some tools will weigh. Good luck. Feel free to drop me a line if you need some help. Woodworking is my second hobby, and I love to design stuff.

Name:	47647_21090.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	29449  
Old 01-16-2003, 06:59 AM
strato911

Default Ultimate Field Box

Do a search for "Ultimate Field Box". There's a couple real good ones out there. I particularily like the one by Billy Hell http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...247&forumid=63]
Old 01-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Custom Field Box

Here is another one for you to look at if you want to custom build your own.
Lee

Name:	47718_5670.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	29450  
Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Lee Belew

Default Custom Field Box

Here is the starter box.
Here is my suggestion for a transmitter box. Buy an aluminum case they are much lighter and you will really appreciate the lightness after a short while.
Lee [email protected]

Name:	47719_5670.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	29451  
Old 01-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Custom Field Box

Originally posted by Lee
Here is the starter box.
Here is my suggestion for a transmitter box. Buy an aluminum case they are much lighter and you will really appreciate the lightness after a short while.
Lee [email protected]
Lee,
I just looked at the box you built.
Very nice.
Wanted to build one here but just to short of time.
Looks like you take a lot of pride in you building
Old 01-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike18

Lee,
Do you have plans for your box?
Old 01-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Lee Belew

Default Field Box

Mike18 I am working on the plans now. Should have them finished in a couple of weeks.
Lee
Old 01-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Whirley Bird

Default Re: Field Box

Originally posted by Lee
Mike18 I am working on the plans now. Should have them finished in a couple of weeks.
Lee
You Guys are very lucky.
I had my Girl by me the top of the ine box from TH.
I can do a lot of things but working with wood,measuring,cutting,drawing plans,etc is not one of my talents
Old 01-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by Lee
Lee
Lee,
Do you just sell the plans or sell the finished product?
I saw your work.
If I ever needed one built i'll call on you
Old 01-17-2003, 03:54 AM
Lee Belew

Default Field Box

Whirley Bird

After I get the plans finished I will be able to supply the finished product as well as the plans. I am presently making a few measurement changes now. I have build the version you see.
The finished box weighs 14 lbs Plus the starter box.
The new version will have 2 larger drawers on the right side for holding things such as field chargers etc.
Lee
[email protected]
Old 01-17-2003, 04:11 AM
Tattoo

My thoughts about field boxes had changed quite a bit over the last 25 years. I used to think that whoever brought the most to the field, and had the latest fancy gadgets won. Not any more. Too much of a pain. To much junk. To many gadgets to burn out, corrode, and leak. To many wires to chop up with the prop. I have discovered that a hand pump works just as good and lasts longer than any electric pump I've had. I've got a portable glo driver that is going on 4 years of weekly hard flying and is still going strong...wires to a power panel not needed. I have also learned that a properly inspected and maintained airplane at home makes for very few repairs at the field. In the past, 9 times out of ten I lugged half my shop to the field every time I flew, and didn't need any of it. I've also realized that if I am local flying, a Tx case is just one more thing to have to load and lug around. So, now all I unload from my car is a very simple flight box with the bare essentials for an afternoon of flying. It makes life much easier at the field and on the flightline. I do have another metal tool box in my car with spare props, plugs, repair equipment, small hardware, etc...etc...etc...but it stays in the car unless needed. The only time I use my Tx cases is when I travel to competitions and pile stuff into the car for a long trip. All I did for the flight box I use now is set out the essencial stuff I figured I needed for the field, and built a very simple flight box to hold it all. It's worked out really great, and now (Strictly personal preference) I wouldn't do it any other way.

The reason I've brought this up is in no way to put down guys who build beautiful field boxes, and are willing to bring them to the field. Some of these are ingenous works of craftsmanship, and to some flyers, this is an enjoyable extension of our great hobby. But...many beginners see this and feel they have to have it all too, and very often spend tons of money they don't have for stuff they really don't need.

Name:	47919_3860.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	29452  
Old 01-17-2003, 04:36 AM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by Lee
Whirley Bird

After I get the plans finished I will be able to supply the finished product as well as the plans. I am presently making a few measurement changes now. I have build the version you see.
The finished box weighs 14 lbs Plus the starter box.
The new version will have 2 larger drawers on the right side for holding things such as field chargers etc.
Lee
[email protected]
Good going Lee,
BTW,
I sent you an E mail
Old 01-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Whirley Bird

Originally posted by Tattoo
My thoughts about field boxes had changed quite a bit over the last 25 years. I used to think that whoever brought the most to the field, and had the latest fancy gadgets won. Not any more. Too much of a pain. To much junk. To many gadgets to burn out, corrode, and leak. To many wires to chop up with the prop. I have discovered that a hand pump works just as good and lasts longer than any electric pump I've had. I've got a portable glo driver that is going on 4 years of weekly hard flying and is still going strong...wires to a power panel not needed. I have also learned that a properly inspected and maintained airplane at home makes for very few repairs at the field. In the past, 9 times out of ten I lugged half my shop to the field every time I flew, and didn't need any of it. I've also realized that if I am local flying, a Tx case is just one more thing to have to load and lug around. So, now all I unload from my car is a very simple flight box with the bare essentials for an afternoon of flying. It makes life much easier at the field and on the flightline. I do have another metal tool box in my car with spare props, plugs, repair equipment, small hardware, etc...etc...etc...but it stays in the car unless needed. The only time I use my Tx cases is when I travel to competitions and pile stuff into the car for a long trip. All I did for the flight box I use now is set out the essencial stuff I figured I needed for the field, and built a very simple flight box to hold it all. It's worked out really great, and now (Strictly personal preference) I wouldn't do it any other way.

The reason I've brought this up is in no way to put down guys who build beautiful field boxes, and are willing to bring them to the field. Some of these are ingenous works of craftsmanship, and to some flyers, this is an enjoyable extension of our great hobby. But...many beginners see this and feel they have to have it all too, and very often spend tons of money they don't have for stuff they really don't need.
Well,
I fly out of a horse farm way out away from anything so I load the box with everything and when I get there I know I have it all.
I just leave it in the rear of the station wagon so weight is no real problem
Old 01-17-2003, 05:12 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would jus buy a box truck, you eventually fill it with everything but the one thing you need!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:20 AM
TexasAirMedic

okay.. I have to throw mine in here..

Old 01-18-2003, 12:57 AM
dave0101_again

nice box Texasair,

I'm building an all purpose box, but am concerned with storing the fuel and battery in the same compartment... Any comments?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 04:57 PM
nova40

dave0101_again-
re storing fuel and battery in same compartment, i direct you to
http://www.bmfa.org/news/bulletins/bull5_01.html

the moral of the story..... dont!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:02 PM
TexasAirMedic

i have an exhaust fan on the back of the box to remove fumes ..
Old 01-18-2003, 09:24 PM
dave0101_again

Nova 40, thanks for the link, that is all I needed to know....

Texasair, how do you govern when the fan is running and not? what about when it's not in use? Great Looking box btw, I like the stereo.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Billy Hell

Looks like I have some mods to do to the Ulimate Field Box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.