Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sterling Stearman P 17???

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sterling Stearman P 17???

Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
janhawk92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Stearman P 17???

I have a Sterling Stearman P 17 that I am thinking about selling and use the money to help pay for my new Sig Hog Bipe but sometimes when I look at it I think maybe I should keep it and get it going. Are these old planes good fliers or are they outdated and I should stick with the newer planes? It seems like its heavier than the newer planes. I haven't flown this plane yet and I don't want to crash it and destroy it if I am going to sell it. Looking for some good advice.
Thanks Mark
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
ecmiller

Default RE: Sterling Stearman P 17???

The Stearman was used as a U.S. Army and Navy trainer during WWII. They are great flyers with scale flight characteristics. Although they are very sexy, they were not designed for 3D manuevers. Sure...they'll do loops and rolls and a few other "tricks" but not much more.

I happen to be partial to the PT-17 Stearman, so you know what my recommendation will be.

Whether or not you want to keep this bird is up to you. It's a personal preference. If you like scale flight characteristics in a WWII era trainer and enjoy the looks of the plane, then keep it.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:59 AM
janhawk92

Thank you for your reply and for your knowledge. That is exactly what I was needing to know!! What size engine would you recommend for it? It has a Super tiger .91 on it now.
Thanks again
Mark
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

additionally. the Sterling company has been out of business for quite sometime. The kits, as well as the planes are valued by some collectors. It may be a good idea to get very familar with flight and RC flying in particular before flying this jewel. I have a Sterling Stinson Reliant, that I am working on completing and I may fly it on a few demo flights and then hang it from the ceiling. JMO
Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also came into a Sterling PT-17 in the box a couple of months ago...and am making moves for a build start. I've a Zenoah G20 EI that I'm contemplating using if the power compares to that of a .90 4stroke. Any one with any thoughts?