Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shop Rant

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hobby Shop Rant

Old 10-22-2006, 01:53 AM
drksky1056

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Shop Rant

Blind,

Unfortunately, not everyone has the kind of capital that it takes to do something like that, including me. Sure, I could open a place and go in debt up to my ears to get the stock that's needed, but I'm not willing to have to file banruptcy if it doesn't work out.

Wish I could. I'd love to run a hobby shop.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Wild Foamy

ok, i just had a thought...

so you dont want to open up a shop in the middle of town because it would cost a lot to run, right?

well lets say you open a home buisness, a website with all the products on and people buy from your website and say someone wants a 9x4 propellor, you order 2 or 3 to gain stock

the website doesnt cost much to run and if you look in the right places you can get a freely hosted webpage.

worth a try, you could even make simple things like chicken sticks and maybe some metal parts with some crafty lathe and mill work and sell them on your site.

maybe im a little crackpot, but i could work...

ya' know... just my little idea...

- Foamy
Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Well I guess I've got it good here in Denver..

We had a HobbyTown USA in Parker but it folded up sometime last year..
They were neither helpfull or well stocked.

My favorite is a family owned LHS Parker.
It's a small store but they stick to the basics. Props, Hardware and balsa so they have what I need most of the time.
Not a ton of kits radios or engines but they can get you anything in the Tower Catalog at the catalog price within a week.
If I want something I'm not sure they have all it takes is a quick Email to check stock.
They are always helpfull and are active members of my club.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the Hobby Towns I have been in Va. have been just like most of you discribe. All lot of stuff for everyone but hardly anything I need. Fuel is always too high and because of its price I am sure its very old. The best Mom and Pop hobby shop is KC's Hobby in Archdale,NC. They have tons off stuff and sell new Saito's less than I can order them for. They have a huge selection of servo's and other radio gear. When ever I have a new project I plan a trip there.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Layne,
Where in Alachua is the store.
I use to get down there every 3 months or so.
Stayed at the Quality Inn and had a standing room.
Some good cheap eats east and west of the freeway.
ORIGINAL: lrtx1

Don't get me wrong there Red. I really prefer the Mom & Pop LHS. Hobbytown USA is not that. It is no more than an online store that you can visit. My rant is more about the impersonal lack of knowledge and availble product that I encountered today at my Not so Local chain type hobby shop. I wish the fellow with the LHS 45 miles away would branch out into my town!

Layne
Old 10-22-2006, 03:17 PM
old n slow

Oh yes, another thing my friendly LHS does is to sell used planes and radios. He will check everything out making sure is all in proper working order before selling it. A great way to recycle planes and equipment. Now ask Tower or Hobby Town to do that.
Just another way he tries to please. Thats another reason he is able to keep a good customer base. As far as buying a plane by mail or over the computer and buying small things from your LHS----thats cruel. Another reason that mom and pop stores go belly up.
Shame, shame[sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
lrtx1

Hey Geistware,

The LHS (JACK'S Hobbys) I shop at, is actually in Ocala Fl, 45 miles south of Alachua on US441. The Hobbytown USA is in Gainesville off of Archer Rd near I-75. Thats about fifteen miles or so south of Alachua. There is not much in Alachua to speak of but, it is growing pretty fast, who knows one day I might be lucky to have that LHS next door.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Avistar 2

I can't stand a hobby store when they tell you this
Sorry were out of stock of that plane we have to back order it.
in english back order means No Plane for 12 years
your out of luckl when every hobby store is back ordering that plane,
and what tick you off they try to offer a stupis replacement plane that's cheap and crappy
My saying goes If you don't have it than go out of business
you discontinue a RC plane or a car or a heli .
You have no right to be in business at all, to stay in business keep a large stock and never discontinue anything, but if you go out the stock or discontinue items You loose money and customers.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Avistar 2

I can't stand a hobby store when they tell you this
Sorry were out of stock of that plane we have to back order it.
in english back order means No Plane for 12 years
your out of luckl when every hobby store is back ordering that plane,
and what tick you off they try to offer a stupis replacement plane that's cheap and crappy
You have no right to be in business at all, to stay in business keep a large stock and never discontinue anything, but if you go out the stock or discontinue items You loose money and customers.
I understand your frustration here but your demands are a bit unrealistic from a business point of view. Bussinesses are going to sell what the MAJORITY wants. So if the majority wants crappylittleplasticplanes then that is what your big shops are going to stock and yes, sadly, sell. I have not been in R/C airplanes for years but I am building and flying and a lot of this is due to the influences (people) that I met along the way to this hobby.

This statement is just plain wrong. They are stocking and selling what makes them the most money. If you want a hobby shop that stocks what you think they should have well you will probably have to open it yourself. I have another 6 years before I retire from the military and that is what I plan on doing. I will set up shop with B.S. stools at the counter and ash trays like the good old days.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Obviously you have no idea what running a retail store entails. Keeping "a large stock" costs money. Do you know how much it costs to purchase all of those planes??? The hobby shops don't get those on credit, they have to pay for them up front. And if they don't sell quickly the shop then starts losing money on it. And once it's sat for long enough it becomes un-sellable, once the box is dusty and faded he can pretty much forget about ever selling it. When this happens a lot of shops will then donate the kit to a club for an auction or door prize, they have lost out the money it cost them to stock that item. They can write of a portion of the loss on their taxes, but they still lose money.

Ken
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Avistar 2

There should be law agaist selling cheap crappy planes to good custmers
They were out of the tiger 2s at every hobby store,
so I had to settle for the Tower Votager it was my 2nd choice
well at least I'm happy with it,
What is the Most cheap crappy plane that has ever been offerd to you by the shop?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:24 PM
drksky1056

so I had to settle for the Tower Votager it was my 2nd choice
You don't have to SETTLE for anything. Just because they don't have the plane you want in stock doesn't mean you have to buy something that you don't want. The world won't come to an end if you walk out of the store without buying something. 9 times out of 10, I walk out of my LHS empty-handed because they don't have what I want or need.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Kerberos32

It seems I can consider myself lucky to have a LHS less than 5 miles away (between me and the field) that ONLY sells aircraft and heli kits, parts and supplies. Pretty much anything I need is there, and if not, its less than a week away. The prices are comprable to the online sites, I dont pay shipping, and I can have what I need right away. The owner and his staff are knowlegable, when he's not in the store, he's at the field. There are always ample new aircraft to choose from on the shelves, from small electrics to 1.20 size sport planes or 90 size helis.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Kerberos32

It seems I can consider myself lucky to have a LHS less than 5 miles away (between me and the field) that ONLY sells aircraft and heli kits, parts and supplies. Pretty much anything I need is there, and if not, its less than a week away. The prices are comprable to the online sites, I dont pay shipping, and I can have what I need right away. The owner and his staff are knowlegable, when he's not in the store, he's at the field. There are always ample new aircraft to choose from on the shelves, from small electrics to 1.20 size sport planes or 90 size helis.
Yup and a car guy would look at this shop and say, "what a lousy hobby shop, they don't carry anything I need".
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
russm

i have been to the hobby bench on bell rd. and go to venture hobby on a regular basis. i don't care for the hobby bench due to the high prices and lousey staff. venture on the other hand is an excellent store w/ good prices and a knowlegable staff. both stores are very well stocked. i still by most of my stuff at tower because venture is 40 min. away. russm
Old 10-25-2006, 03:25 AM
drksky1056

i still by most of my stuff at tower because venture is 40 min. away.
Heh...I drove 2 hours to get to Venture cause I REALLY needed a servo for the next day.

It was the first time I was there and it was like a kid walking into a candy store. My credit card screamed bloody murder the second I stepped in the door...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

So where is Venture located?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Wild Foamy

What is the Most cheap crappy plane that has ever been offerd to you by the shop?
i would say [link=http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1419&src_t=cat&src_id=radiocontrol]THIS[/link]

but having said that there are some good planes out there for a budget, you can get [link=http://www.canyoudiy.com/index.php?cont=view&prodID=536]THIS[/link] for abotu $70
Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: parrthd

I BUILD!!!!!! LOL

back to hobbytown usa.......went to the one in memphis last weekend. never have been impressed but my wife likes going to memphis shopping so i make the most out of it. had around 150 buck worth and was looking at the glow plugs. just making small talk and joking around when i make the statement that i didn't need to see that plane sitting up there on the shelf looking all nice and pretty. the clerk asked me which one i was talking about i told him the gp super skybolt ARF. i explained to him i've just spent around 8 months building one. his reply, believe it or not, was "maybe you shouldn't have been looking"

i felt like i'd been slapped in the face. anyway, i told him to ring me up and he wouldn't have to worry about any of my future business because i wouldn't be back. from now on i'll order online. no sales tax, better prices, and the shipping charges beats the he!! out of the $50+- fuel it costs me to drive there and back.
Yeah, aren't those guys in that store a treat? If it isn't a truck they couldn't care less. Unfortunately one of about 2 stores left in town with ANY stock. The other is in Millington.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 AM
russm

venture is located in wheeling, il. 8475378669 russm
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Flak

My LHS of Choice is Hobby Haven. Dave has been around since R/C airplanes were invented. Brian, Doug and Monte are the BOMB! They are knowledgable, helpful and try to keep a large variety of R/C airplanes, parts and support equipment in stock for most common uses. They are shy on Giant Scale stuff, but I can understand that, since a lot of folks shy away from it. However, they are glad to order anything a fella could want. There are usually a ton of R/C planes hanging from the ceiling for sale on consignment. I wish they would add a small coffee shop corner in the store so us BS'ers could sit and enjoy a cup of Joe and maybe a Krispy Creame, (They're one block down). Hobby Haven also caters to the other hobbies like cars, trains, boats, rockets, helis, die cast and plastic models. They have all types of books, magazines and other literature, as well as "How To" videos for sale. They also keep a good stock or R/C sims. The store is one block north of "Hooters" at 103rd & Metcalf, Overland Park, KS. Their phone number is 913-381-3111. I would never say something nice or supportive about someone or their business unless I was sincere. Stop in and say hello when you're in the Kansas City area. I have been doing business there for over 15 years.