Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Plane Cleaner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM
flyingfrog007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plane Cleaner

dont know . but i take it home to my wife and she does it for me. looks like new every time....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 AM
cutaway

Methanol + Viva paper towels works well.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I use Krud Kutter from Lowe's. You can watch the oil rise up and run down the wing without wiping. Amazing stuff!! Clean the whole plane with two good quality towels. Best not to use cheap paper towels. They are abrasive. Cotton is best.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful that "everything is known to cause cancer in the State of California".

Seriously though, I have been using Krud Kutter because I had to buy it for some other home use. It removes the slime well, but I noticed it leaves a dull streak film on the covering. Maybe use Krud Kutter first and then Windex?

I've also used 409 in the past with good results.

I will try the windshield washer fluid with Dawn mix whenever I run out of the Krud Kutter and Windex. I might also try the soap and water idea as well. These 2 mixes are less expensive.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Gray Beard,
Also put a couple squirts of Dawn Dishwashing liquid in it to help cut the grease. That's what I do. I buy a gallon of windshield washer fluid. I had Dawn dishwashing liquid and 91% isopropyl alcohol to it. I've been using this mix for 14 years now to clean my planes. A gallon will usually last a full flying season (we have long flying seasons too), and total cost is less than 2 bucks or so.

Ken
I THINK {you know how that goes} it was Scooter that handed me a baby wipe last week for my hands, usually just use my pants. Anyway, that damp towel took all the crap off my hands. Didn't try it on a plane though but they look like they would be pretty good for the people that have kids and keep wet ones in there cars? I only have one plane that gets all snotty, my other ones just leave a bit of mist on the wing. I will give my bottle a squirt of Dawn, I just happen to have some in the shop. By side mounting or inverting my engines I'm able to deflect almost all the goo. I was talked into building my Daddy Rabbit as stock/old school as I could and it is a snotty beast with the upright engine. Even with a exhaust deflector there is no place to deflect so it doesn't slather the plane with nasty thick Castor. I'll fill my bottle up today and put in the dawn, I have this plane ready to fly next trip out. It's the perfect test bed for cleaning up. Years ago when I was using Mono for covering I discovered anything with ammonia in it would lift my trim covering. I wasn't the only one with the problem, mono was really getting blamed for the problem a lot when it was just the cleaner getting under the edges. Just something to think about.
Gene
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the old times (when I used slimy power plants) nothing worked better than "Top Job" and water (much better than dish detergent). Now it is sold under the name "Mr Clean" leaves the monocote shiny like new.

It also works on gas engines, but they are not that messy

To clean my electrics, after the flight, you want to shake off all the watts and amps that might stick to the airframe during the flight:-) I actually clean the dust off my the electrics before going to the filed...

Gerry
Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

I just use Simple Green. Works great for me!

And don't laugh at the sham-wow, I actually started using those to clean my planes. Been trying to be more "green" so have switched to those instead of paper towels for cleaning. Work great, just throw them in the washer when they're dirty and they're good to go.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 PM
chaos79

ORIGINAL: schnepel

100LL will work, but it's rather expensive these days, over $6 a gallon here.above.
"No Name"brand glass cleaner - 1.99 for 950 ml
Avgas - 1.71 per Liter tax included (At our shop...for the time being anyways...LOL)

Not really that big of a difference.. .but the avgas is still cheaper

Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Nitro-Tom

I have success with Simple Green

It cleans the cars like the dickens.....so I started using it on my planes, and it rocks!

Buy one bottle of "Concentrate" and mix with water in a spray bottle......

Enough for a lifetime for just a few bucks from any retailer such as Home-boy depot or Wally World....

Works for me, and the smell grows on ya!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I ve being using 90% isoprpopyl alcohol, I will try the windshield wiper fluid
Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
murf
My Feedback: (2)

hi ,all the cleaner that i have been using is black spot remover from wally world rv dep, workes wonders u discover new parts which magically appear where none has been before , try it u might like it
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
foosball_movie

Windex should work. Use cloth towels (old T-shirts) rather than paper towels. Use Pledge to really make her shine!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Anything + Viva paper towels, (they are like cloth)