Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Plane Cleaner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Herd33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane Cleaner

Hi Folks,

Has anyone found anything that cleans fuel off better than Windex? Seems as if the Windex just pushes the oil around.

I wondering if it would be ok to use something like Simple Green or Greased Lighting cleaner???

Someone told me that he used to have a "recipe" for a great cleaner - ammonia, dish detergent and alcohol.

Any comments or suggestions??

Thanks.

Herd33

Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Plane Cleaner

Hi, Windex works great for me. Just remember to wipe off all the oil you can with a plain clean paper towel, then use the windex to get rid of the remaining residue. It should get it all.

Hope you find this helpful

LT-40
Old 11-05-2006, 07:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I buy a gallon of windshield washer fliud (much cheaper than Windex, about a buck a gallon at Wally World) and put a couple squirts of Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. The Dawn does a great job cutting the oily slime left at the end of the day, and the washer fliud cleans it without leaving any residue.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-05-2006, 08:01 PM
agshane
My Feedback: (14)

We use a 2 tablespoons of simple green in one quart of water. Don't use anything with ammonia, it will remove the gloss from your covering and alcohol will eventually remove your decals and stickers.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I just use straight Simple Green. Works fine.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Herd33

Thanks Guys...

I've got a 1/2 bottle of Simple Green concentrate - I think I'll mix up some and give it a try.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:17 PM
rhowardsta

I have found the "few drops" of Dawn dish det. to work great ! I also use cloth( some old cotton tees or such) to keep from scratching my covering so much. Hope this helps........

Ray
Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 PM
masonman

I use fabulose(orange). I have had a three day weekends worth of flyin goo on my plane, an you just spray it on let it sit about a min an wipe it off an your done. an it makes your airplane smell like an orage
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Sig's Model Cleaner with good results. Best tip is to go down to one of your wharehouse stores (Costo, Sam's Club, etc.) and pick up a bag of 50 microfiber towels/cloths for between $10 and $12. These things suck up the oil to the extent you almost don't need a liquid cleaner. You can get several uses out of one then toss it in the wash.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 AM
agexpert

My favorite is a high-speed pass...about 24" below the runway...or 'Krud Kutter' from home depot at 10:1.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

I agree with Ray a few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle full of water works great!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
steve1mac

I have been using a mix of 1/2 water, 1/4 409 cleaner, 1/4 isopropyl alcohol.
The alcohol does a great job of dissolving the oil residue. I have been using this mix for about 3 yrs. and have not noticed any problem with covering or decals.
I always spray my towel and then wipe the model. This might be why I don't have adhesive and decal problems on my plane. less liquid sitting on the surface. Wipe On - Wipe Off.

BTW:   Isopropyl is great for preparing a surface for adhesives such as decals, clear tape bandages and heat sensitive covering.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy window cleaner from the dollar store and squirt in a big shot of alcohol, seems to work as well as anything. I have tried giving it a shot of ammonia too but it didn't seem to make any difference except on my bathroom mirrors. Leaves a streak free shine.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Gray Beard,
 Also put a couple squirts of Dawn Dishwashing liquid in it to help cut the grease. That's what I do. I buy a gallon of windshield washer fluid. I had Dawn dishwashing liquid and 91% isopropyl alcohol to it. I've been using this mix for 14 years now to clean my planes. A gallon will usually last a full flying season (we have long flying seasons too), and total cost is less than 2 bucks or so.

Ken
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
lukeshort

I buy a "Commercial Size" 3 pack of Johnsons Pledge at Menards and it lasts all season. Takes off the Castor Oil and other crud and buffs up to a nice clean finish.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a mix called "Jim Quinn's Formula" from a club Iused to belong to.

5 cups water
1 cup 91% alcohol (or stove alcohol or solvent alcohol)
1/2 cup ammonia
2 tsp detergent (I use All)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Ken,
OK, I've got a gallon of windshield washer fluid and I add a couple squirts of Dawn dishwashing detergent. How much alcahol do I add to this mix? I've been using mostly alcahol with a bit of Green Cleaner but I am not real impressed with it. [&o]
Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Jollypopper,
 I've never actually measured it out. I do the TLAR (that looks about right) mix on it. If I had to guess, I would say about 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Pour a bit out of the gallon jug and add your alcohol.

Ken
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks, Ken. I like the TLAR method.

Max
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM
scooterinvegas

Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
chaos79

LOL@SHAMWOW!!! HAHA

I usually just use windex... but if my plane gets REALdirty, i'll grab my spray bottle of 100LL (Avgas) Works pretty good for me :-)
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 AM
schnepel

Confused?  Yup, to many home brews here.  Every degreaser under the sun has practically been mentioned, even the one that didn't work for the original thread poster.  100LL will work, but it's rather expensive these days, over $6 a gallon here.  All these products will leave a residue so you have to use some soap with? Water.

Dawn dishwashing liquid works well but it's hard on your hands it you use it alot.  Watered down in a pump/spray bottle is good.

I've flown full sized aircraft for over 40 years, and some of the stuff mentioned above is darn right harmful to a finish.  If you use any of the products mentioned above,  you're going to have to wash it off with a mixture of soap and water then wipe it down.  Works will in a small spray bottle then wipe down with good towels such as Pipemajor has mentioned above.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Delta3

Go and buy a packet / box of baby wipes from your local supermarket . They are cheap and they get lots of "****" off babies and also do an amazing job cleaning up the covering on a RC plane
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been using 91 alc and lysol all purpose cleaner concentrate....works ok for me... ill prolly try the washer fluid method next.... last time i remember using dish detergent, it left a cloudy film on my covering..
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM
tony0707

HI
AFTER 20 YEARS of using windex on film coveringfound out it is not a good idea -as it will lift and open the seamsa coating of clear dope on the seams and decals will stop thatyou will not see the clear dope after it drys
before i put film on an air frame-i will coat the balsa with clear dope in any spots i know will collect the burnt fuels oila good example is the aileron seam on the exhaust side of the airframe (only applys to glo fuel )
i use silicone on my wing seat to prevent fuel and air from getting into the airframeair creates dragall my fuses are sealed as much as is possible to the outside
ENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.