Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Avistar! SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Purchasing Avistar! SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing Avistar! SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

All right, I know I have posted info on my plane before, but I do love it. I have an Avistar RTF version, swapped out 40LA with OS46FX with MACS Pre-Tuned Pipe. Using APC 10.5X6, probably turning about 13500-14000 RPM's. Really burns up the sky. A guy at the field said I was doing 75 mph at level flight. Unlimited vertical. Love the plane it's what I learned on, with help of local club the HAWKS. It is definately more areobatic than standard trainer. Love the extra power, I would highly recommend the 46 on this plane. You will have to rework the receiver/battery or add a little weight to the tail. You can fly this plane pretty nose heavy, it's pretty forgiving, but once I added a little lead to the tail, it seemed to really improve the flight characteristics, a lot less down elevator on inverted flight. Anyway get the Avistar, with the right engine it will scream. Pic shows Avistar on my really messy building table. You will notice the 40 la in the lower left hand corner, ran 2 tanks through it, it never saw the air. I installed an OS 46SF at first, then decided that it wasn't enough power, so stepped up to the 46FX w/ pipe. Oh well they say speed kills, but what a ride!

Allan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49535_20084.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	30447  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Yetti

Dear God, that pipe looks like a billy club! I will take everything everyone has said into consideration. I really appreciate it. I'lll let everyone know how I'm doing. I'm sure everyone will be expecting a destroyed plane... I'll stick with the stock .40 and later upgrade to a .46. Sounds like fun to me...

If only I had more money!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 PM
PigMan Buggerus

Are you going to learn with an instructor, or are you going to try to go it alone? I would highly recommend an instructor. Yes the pipe is long, but wow what a power boost. I am turning 1,500 rpms more(close to 14,000) with the tuned pipe versus the stock muffler. It's really not that much more weight either.

Allan
Old 01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Yetti

Well, I think I will taxi around myself, but ultimately I want to have the patience to learn with an instructor. Although, I know myself well and I will problably lift her off by myself(as dumb as it may be)
Old 01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
PigMan Buggerus

Man you should really make sure that the first flight is with an instructor. Patience is a virtue. $300 is a lot to waste because you just couldn't wait to get flying. A couple days will not kill you, as much as it might seem like it will. Better yet, line up an instructor, and order your plane so that it's arrival coincides with your training appointment. Anyway, you say you have flown before, so you might be OK, but is it really worth it?

Allan
Old 01-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Yetti

Hell no its not worth it. I'm 18, and 300 bucks plus field equipment is a loooot of money!your right. To taxi it on the groud will satisfy me until i can get an instructor.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Crashem

Taxi it with the wing off. or you may end up unintentionally getting it up to flying speed and taking off by accident
Old 01-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Yetti

that makes sense. If it did indeed take off though, couldn't i just lower the throttle and let it settle back down?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 PM
PigMan Buggerus

Not necessarily w/o a crash, You would probably be going too slow, and bad things might happen. Leave the wing off, watch out for your exhaust though, make sure it is pointed away from the plane. You don't want to soak your electronics in oil.

Allan
Old 01-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Crashem

It will happen so fast your brain won't have time to tell your thumbs what to do.

Flying isn't a hard skill to master but it is a skill and as such requires some practice.

Saying just lower the throtle in the event that the plane becomes airborne and actually being able to do it are two completly different things.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Yetti

heah, im a pretty bright kid. I see your point though. I'll take it easy.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Crashem

Originally posted by Yetti
heah, im a pretty bright kid. I see your point though. I'll take it easy.
Has absolutely nothing to do with how bright you are its a set of learned reflexes that you don't have.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Yetti

I was JOKING. I realize that.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

My first flight on my own lasted 5 seconds.

I did learn a lot though, because my second flight (2 weeks later) lasted more than 8 seconds!!!! over 50% improvement in only two weeks!!!

There was no third flight for that plane
Old 05-17-2003, 03:03 PM
CHOCOFAN

HEY ! YET, DID YOU FLY THAT AVISTAR YET, YOU SHOULD DO LIKE THE MAN SAY'S GET AN INSTRUCTOR OR IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO IT BY YOUR SELF THERE'S A 86% CHANCE YOU MITE LOOSE THE PLANE,REMEMBER TWO HEAD'S ARE BETTER THAN ONE BUT IT'S YOUR PLANE DO AS YOU WISH BESIDE'S THERE'S MORE AT THE HOBBY SHOP.IF YOU HAVE DECIDED ON YOUR SEC. PLANE GET SOME THING YOU COULD HANDLE, I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY.PLANE WAS TO FAST FOR ME AND THE ENGINE I PUT IN IT HAD TO MUCH BUT I MEAN TO MUCH POWER FOR ME, BUT BY THIS TIME TODAY I HAVE GAINED MORE EXPERIENCE, & I SOULD BE ABLE TO FLY JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. REMEMBER EXPERIENCE IS THE KEY. EH! DICHO