Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Another Avistar Select question...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Another Avistar Select question...

Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 PM
midnitedew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Avistar Select question...

Ok i was just looking at my plane, and it sort of looks incomplete..
i was wondering if the kit should of came with an air filter? My kit did not include an air fliter and the carb looks like it should have one.... did they forget the air filter or does the kit not come with one? thanks guys
Old 05-15-2003, 05:33 PM
crotts
My Feedback: (2)

No air filter is included or needed.

Enjoy the plane. It's a good one. It's what I learned on and I still enjoy flying it from time to time.

Good Luck
Old 05-15-2003, 06:18 PM
midnitedew

Originally posted by crotts
No air filter is included or needed.

Enjoy the plane. It's a good one. It's what I learned on and I still enjoy flying it from time to time.

Good Luck
thank you!!! thats weird that no air filter is needed looks scary that something could get in there well i ordered my field kit and a few nylon props 3qty nylon 11x5 3qty nylon 10x6 and a 1 wood 10x6 ..... 5 quarts of 10% fuel ... epoxy .... i think i will have it in the air in about 2 weeks !!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Montague

Well, yes, crud can get in there, and you should watch for it. A lot depends on where you will be flying. Most fields I've flown from were either grass or grass with a paved portion, not a lot of loose dust or dirt to get sucked in to the engine. If you do a lot of lawn mowing with the prop, you can get clippings in the carb, but I've never heard of that being a problem.

I always close the throttle on my engines after flying, and check in the intake before starting for the day in case some crud got in there in transport or storage. It's easily washed out with a bit of fuel and/or a q-tip. (I keep q-tips in the field box for this reason)

Then there was the day we were flying right after the geese left the field. Goose s#!& + prop = mess. But that's another story, I'm just glad it wasn't my plane that ate the goose leavings.

And I did see a picture of a bee that got sucked in to an intake and stop the engine once. Didn't hurt the engine. The bee wasn't so lucky.

Sooner or later, you'll plant the engine. When you do that, you can be pretty sure there will be dirt in the carb. However, it's easily washed out with fuel, wd-40, or any number of other cleaners. You don't want to turn the crankshaft if you suspect stuff is in the engine. I'm not going to go in to a full "how to tear down and really clean out an engine" here, but it's not hard.

You can buy air filters that fit over the carb. But to be honest, I've never seen anyone use one, it really is pretty rare to actually get anything in there. Also, too much of a filter will reduce the engine's power as airflow in to these little engines can be rather critical.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Montague

btw, just noticed you're getting fuel in quarts? eegads, that's expensive. Go for a gallon at a time. You'd be surprised how fast you burn though it. Or better yet, you can get some guys together and split a 4 gallon case.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:58 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by Montague
btw, just noticed you're getting fuel in quarts? eegads, that's expensive. Go for a gallon at a time. You'd be surprised how fast you burn though it. Or better yet, you can get some guys together and split a 4 gallon case.
hell i'll be happy if my plane lasts through 5 quarts of fuel !!!!

i really dont think i will have such good luck lets hope that i will need to buy more IF i ever use the 5 quarts i have
Old 05-16-2003, 06:47 PM
SkyDude

Where are you planning to fly it? If you're just starting out, your best bet is to join a club and have someone help you out. A friendly experienced pilot and an $8 buddy-box cord will save your plane, give you much more time in the air, and you'll be able to learn much faster than trying it on your own.

Take it from me, I know. I had many solo flights after doing the buddy box thing for about 3-5 flights. But that was over six years ago. I recently got back into the hobby and got an Avistar Select. I was anxious to fly, thought I could just pick up where I left off and took it out on my own. Bad idea. I got it up in the air, made one shaky circuit, then on the second time round got confused on a right turn coming toward me, added more right instead of left to level out, lost altitude, saved it from the ground only to smack a tree at full throttle.

Scratch one Avistar and my ego. With my second Avistar, I've had two successful flights with the help of an instructor. His presence gave me much peace of mind and I did fine. Didn't land it myself yet, but I intend to do that this weekend and reinstate my solo status. I could probably do it myself now that I've shed a bit of rust. We'll see if an instructor is available next time I'm at the field.

Oh, and RealFlight G2 Simulator from Great Planes is awesome for getting the basics down. I recommend it, but it's no substitute for the real thing.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2003, 06:52 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

second vote on the G2
Old 05-17-2003, 12:59 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by SkyDude

Oh, and RealFlight G2 Simulator from Great Planes is awesome for getting the basics down. I recommend it, but it's no substitute for the real thing.

Good luck!
Yes i know my buddie let me borrow his G2 lite and the controller.... for a few days but he took it back home... what i have been using now is a program called FMS and the controller im using is a playstation 2 controller with the 2 thumbsticks works like a regular plane controller... if you know anyone that needs a cheep G2 simulator i suggest they download FMS (ITS FREE)
then buy a Soyo Kinky-X series adpator for the playstation 2(or playstation 1 controller) so you can play pc gamws with a good controller... the converter is about $14 + shipping you can order the conveter from here.. the one they show is the kinky-y BUT i ordered one and they sent me the new kinky-X series that IS windows XP compatible i dont believe they carry the older model anymore !!! yahoooo also what is really coll the driver for the converter is only like 400kb !!! it comes on a mini cd pretty neat

http://www.sybercom.com/cgi-bin/sybe...C-KIKYJOY.html

im not sure where i downloaded the FMS but i believe i found it on this website somewhere... you can search thru the website and probably find it

www.net-express.com that is a minnesota club page
Old 05-17-2003, 01:22 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

I add my vote for the instructor and local club. If your local club is anything like mine, they will be more than willing to help you out. Don't destroy your plane the first time out, get an instructor and save yourself a lot of frustration and cash.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:21 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by PigMan Buggerus
I add my vote for the instructor and local club. If your local club is anything like mine, they will be more than willing to help you out. Don't destroy your plane the first time out, get an instructor and save yourself a lot of frustration and cash.
what is that midnite bomber thing? do you have a website with more sounds?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:12 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

It is a villain from the cartoon "The Tick." He was a pretty funny guy so I used him for my avitar. As far as the sound clips go, yeah I have a couple more here:

http://www.levelup.tzo.com/bomber.html

There are a couple non bomber related things there as well, but pretty funny none the less.