Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd Build-Sig Something Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd Build-Sig Something Extra

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Build-Sig Something Extra

ORIGINAL: pt40crasher

I suck at covering.
From thie picture, yours is looking good so far.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:24 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice covering job on the wing!

I just ordered the SSE kit form. I needed a winter project other than playing with electric ARF's and was following this thread. It got me interested in the SSE from looking at your build progress.

What landing gear is that? You said it was a DUBRO set? Do you have their part number? I like that setup.

I have an OS 50 AX sitting around. I intend to use that engine on this build. Are you using any special servo's (high torque and so on) for contrl surfaces? I have the JR's that came with the DX7 radio as well as several Airtronics BB and High Torque's laying around.

Did I read that you modified the elevator and rudder? If so, did you simply lengthen them from the plans?

Nice job, can't wait to hear how it flys.

Thanks.

DS.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
pt40crasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left the control surfaces alone for this airplane. I'm using the 4 four DS821's that came with the DX7 for the control surfaces and an HS322 for the throttle which I may change to an HS81 for weight. Here is the package the gear came in: cat. no. 789. It greatly improved ground clearance and I think the airplane has a better stance with this gear. It is also wider than stock and hopefully more forgiving. I have a lot to learn about covering. The pics don't show it much, but there a lot of small wrinkles. Thanks for the comments. I picked up a Parkzone Typhoon 3D and adapted it to my radio by installing a AR6000 rx. It has a symmetrical wing, taildragger config. and dual aileron servos just like the SSE. I figured out how to mix flaperons in and just how in general the DX7 works. It is a POS with crappy components but it flies well and I need a beater to fly so I don't start rushing this build. I love this radio. The only thing I have to judge it by was my Hitec Laser 4 and of course there is no comparison there.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 PM
pt40crasher

OK. Here it is. Maiden tomorrow or Wednsday!!

I could complain and nitpick it now, but I'll wait and do that if it flies like a dog.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Mr67Stang

RCU is having some trouble with pictures right now so I can't see any of your work, but by the replies it must be nice and you are playing the modest builder role. Anyway, I cheated and got the ARF as a buddy won it at a funfly and sold it to me for $100. I outfitted mine with an OS .50sx and an APC 13x4 and she goes up almost unlimited. I only wish I had more rudder.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 AM
pt40crasher

$100...Nice score, huh? I think I'll end up wanting more power after ground running quite a bit today. I love the 4 stroke but it is definitely not going to give me nutty vertical performance. I'm pretty new, so I probably don't NEED that anyway. M next plane will be an ARF. I got the building out of my system for now. I can't wait.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
pt40crasher

Well, the airplane flies terrific. The 4 stroke saito was worth every penny after it brought my airplane back in one piece. 2 clicks up elevator and 1 click right aileron and it tracks beautifully. Simple aerobatics were no problem, the roll rate was impressive but not uncontrollable on high rates. Actually I flew it on high rates the whole time and switched to low just to see what it felt like. Landing is easy although I bounced it pretty good a couple of times. It keeps flying for a while after it touches down. I toyed around with the flaperons a bit and you can really slow this thing down. Stalls are non-eventful, you just sink followed by the nose pitching down...totally predictable. I was able to hover it up high, but this engine does not have the power to pull out of it. Maybe with an 12x6 it could. Certainly limited vertical performance. I am thrilled with this airplane and I'll be flying it tomorrow out at our club field. The throttle cut-off mix was troublesome at first, only because I had never done it before but now it works fine.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Mr67Stang

Congrats on the maiden[sm=thumbup.gif] If you can run a 12x6 on that motor without bogging down try a 13x4 if your looking for more virtical performance and 3D'ish performance. Remember this is not a 3D plane but a very capable sport plane.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 PM
pt40crasher

Thanks!

Here's a shot at the field today.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: pt40crasher

Here's a shot at the field today.
Where's your flying field at?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 AM
pt40crasher

In Paso Robles.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 AM
ChuckW

Thought the area looked familiar.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 PM
pt40crasher

Here is my airplane on the maiden and a couple of flights after. There are some bad bounces and crosswind landings. 1st flight was with a Master Airscrew 11x7, subsequent flights were with an APC 12x6 which seems to have the best over-all performance. The 12x6 and 12x7 fly nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6YE0hWO-A
Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
pt40crasher

I just have to say again what a fantastic airplane this is.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Huckaneer

Congratulations on a wonderful build and maiden flight. I hope the rest of your flights are well and that you enjoy the plane to the fullest. It is capable of some pretty sweet stuff and also slow landings and flight. Here is a picture of my somethin extra. Wish it was as good as yours.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31943.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	665068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24329.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	665069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96717.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	665070  
Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I just finished mine and plan to fly it sunday.I hooked the rubber band inside the plane for the wings.man that just doesnt look it will keep the wings on.but thats what the instructions show.anyone ....this hook up reakky stays in place???
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
jlimey
My Feedback: (2)

I just started flying the SSE, and am not an expert, but the rubber bands scared me too. Someone at the field uses a spring in his SSE, and he was nice enough to give me one. It worked nicely, but I lost it and haven't been able to find one of similar tension. I have been using cable ties and they seem to work great. My only fear is that I will snip a receiver wire when I cut them off at the end of the day. I have never known a cable tie to lose its grip, but I throw 2 on (they are pretty cheap, and for now, I need to worry more about my flying than the plane! ).

All that being said, I'm sure a bunch of SSEs fly with rubber bands - else that would be all over the message boards.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

you have given me two great ways! I have the cable ties right on my bench.as for a spring I am going to look for a source..yes I know there are many guys using rubber bands.I trusted sig a long time but it just un-nerved me when I can pull the wing aand it moves outward a bit.when I fly I want to worry about flying only lol..it's such an easy buiuld too.I got this one from a club member after he crashed it and decided not to rebuild it.thankfully he had ordered a wing kit and just gave it to me when I said I should get one.good tips thanks again..