Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

whats the best p51 mustang for a first time builder?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

whats the best p51 mustang for a first time builder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
papaoneone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best p51 mustang for a first time builder?

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie at plane building and would appreciate some advice on a good p51 mustang build, also any info on the best engine and radio equiptment would be helpful. I would like to stay in the size 40 range and I'm not afraid of a good challange but certanly don't want to go allout the first time.
I want to purchase a good Quality kit, no shortcuts something that would hold up to that hot rod engine you'd be suggesting!

Any advice from you pros?

Thanks,
Papaoneone
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: whats the best p51 mustang for a first time builder?

Actually, papaoneone, Ace Hobby makes a great little kit called the Simple Series Mustang:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/mustan...s-p-11059.html

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/ACE4248.htm

The Simple Series kits can be powered with either a Thunder Tiger GP-07 glow engine or converted to electric power. They are fairly quick building, and would be a great introduction to kit construction at a low price if you haven't yet had the pleasure of building from a kit.

Another possibility for an easy kit to construct, but one that is far less scale, is the Tower Hobbies Fun 51 Profile kit:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa5010.html

While not exactly a scale replica of the original P-51 Mustang, the Tower Fun 51 kit is relatively easy to build, accepts standard .40-sized glow components, and is a blast to fly.

The larger scale Mustang kits by Top Flight and other manufacturers can be both complicated to build and difficult to fly. Don't be too proud to start off with a fun and easy project before you tackle something much, much harder.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
carrellh

I'm no pro but I do have a recommendation.

I’ll make the assumption that you already know how to fly RC airplanes and save most of the “get a trainer and an instructor†speech. No P-51 kit that I know of is for beginner pilots.

With that out of the way, Great Planes has a 40 size kit.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0175.html
There is info on the page regarding electric power if you’re interested in that.
There is a link for parts lists and manuals. You can download the manual and look it over to decide if you think it’s a project you want to tackle. This is not a true scale model. It is described as “a sport plane that looks like a P-51.â€

My engine choice would be a ’70 class’ four stroke: OS 70 Surpass II, Magnum 70 RFS, Saito 72 or 82. My personal four stroke experiences so far are limited to OS and Magnum; both are excellent. Based on other club members’ experiences I would not hesitate to use a Saito.

This kit just needs ‘standard’ servos. I have been using Hitec HS-425s quite a bit and they work fine in 40 or 60 size sport planes. They are about 15 bucks each. If you want stronger, faster, coreless, digital, etc; the sky’s the limit.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you want a .40 size but Herr engineering makes a great 1/2A Mustang kit. It is laser cut and even most of the sheeting is pre-shaped. I found it to be a very easy build. With a Norvel .074, mine flew as well as a .40 size. As others have said though, the Great Planes Mustang is an excellent choice in the .40 range. Their instructions can't be beat either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24730.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	593449  
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you an accomplished flyer here or is this your first plane? If this is your first plane and you have not flown before, then save yourself and others the time and aggravation of it all and just place the box in the driveway and run over it a few times and get it over with. You need to learn this hobby the right way or it will be a disaster.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 AM
saucerguy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Are you an accomplished flyer here or is this your first plane? If this is your first plane and you have not flown before, then save yourself and others the time and aggravation of it all and just place the box in the driveway and run over it a few times and get it over with. You need to learn this hobby the right way or it will be a disaster.
He he, lmao, too funny

Seriously though, first kit: http://www.*********.org/guillow_400.htm

Yeah, it's old school, simple, freeflight rubber band power, means you don't have to worry about the RC element which simplifies the build, but is going to get you initiated upon building a true kit, not some lazer cut fit together puzzle piece and will give you alot of respect for other kit and scratch builders.

Next ones, you'll be likely adding the RC element which means alot more engineering to do correctly not that staying with freeflight for a while is bad at all and is actually reccomended. So... go build this one, have fun and a little tip, use CA for most of the balsa connections, at least where you are sure you know what you are doing, Ultracoat instead of papering the outside, and take your time, you are going to be very proud of your work, if not in this one, the ones that follow and by all means, if you get a kit, post a build log with a giant "help" next to it, you are going to find millions of people wanting to give you tips along the way and help you through the process.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Andy0679

Originally Posted by ChuckW
I know you said you want a .40 size but Herr engineering makes a great 1/2A Mustang kit. It is laser cut and even most of the sheeting is pre-shaped. I found it to be a very easy build. With a Norvel .074, mine flew as well as a .40 size. As others have said though, the Great Planes Mustang is an excellent choice in the .40 range. Their instructions can't be beat either.
Hi. I know this an old thread but I'm getting ready to mount my Norvel 074 into my Herr P 51 Mustang and wonder how you got your muffler to clear everything? Do you have any more pics of your Herr Mustang? Also besides down thrust did it need any right thrust? Thank you for your time.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Andy0679

Hi. I know this an old thread but I'm getting ready to mount my Norvel 074 into my Herr P 51 Mustang and wonder how you got your muffler to clear everything? Do you have any more pics of your Herr Mustang? Also besides down thrust did it need any right thrust? Thank you for your time.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy0679
You clear away any part of the fuselage that the muffler bumps in to. Add balsa blocks to re-enforce the area and sand away the excess. I'd go so far as to paint the area with some thinned epoxy just to help with the heat off the muffler. Sad but that's the way it works with the narrow nosed scale models. Be sure to leave a little space between the muffler and the fuselage. 1/8 to 1/4 inch is enough.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really liked my old Jemco Fun Scale Mustang. Watch ebay for Marks Models, Jemco or Dynaflite. They are not rare, if you're patient you can get a kit for $100 bucks or so shipped, maybe less. Span is 51 inches, and they are very light, which is why they fly so well. Mine landed like a trainer, yet it was a thrill in a split S, snap roll, etc.

I flew mine on an OS 40 FP, which was enough. A plain bearing OS 40-46 LA is fine, a Thunder Tiger 42 GP, Enya 40 would be even better; for a modern engine an ASP 36 BB would be good. I think an engine weighing 12 oz or so is perfect. Some people fly them with a 46 BB type, but those weigh 16-17 oz and to me the power is more than I need.

I have a kit stashed away and will power it with my Irvine 36, which is a great engine long out of production. Most ball bearing 36s weigh around 12 oz and give more power than the old plain bearing OS 40s.

Jim
Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought the Midwest 60 size Mustang was the easiest-building, best-flying entry level warbird around. Obviously fun scale, but you can recognize it as a Mustang and it flies great! The 40 size can be a little twitchy. I see them on Ebay from time to time.