Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My Red Hawk experience

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My Red Hawk experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Compstall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Red Hawk experience

I bought my first R/C plane over X-mas, an Aerobird Challenger. Good plane, took a real beating before it finally died. I've since replaced the parts and figured out how to fly it well.

My daughter wanted one too, and I found the Red Hawk for about $30 cheaper than the Aerobird. This plane is virtually identical in size/shape to the Aerobird.

First day, I get the plane up for a good 10-minute flight. Next day, I plug in the battery and the motor starts spinning at about 75% throttle with no controller input. It spins with the controller OFF or ON, regardless of throttle position on the controller. I tell the LHS about it and they take it back and hand me another new Red Hawk.

I get the new Red Hawk ready for flight the next day, throw it into the wind and it flies like a dream---only for ~5 minutes. Then the motor starts to buck and hesitate. I bring it in and check it out. At first I thought it was me, because I forgot to let out the antenna and thought it just wasn't getting a good signal from my controller. Then I throw the plane back into the air. Immediately the motor starts to buck and hesitate again. I land the plane and run the motor while holding it. Below 1/2 throttle the motor spins fine, anything beyond that it hesitates horribly. So I packed the plane up.

Today, I hooked the battery up again to see what it would do. Elevons work fine, but motor will not spin at all.

I think I'm done with Red Hawks. This plane was intended for my 12-year old daughter but doesn't do much good hung up in the garage! I'm going to call my LHS tomorrow and request a refund.

On another note, a coworker wanted a plane this week and he also bought a Red Hawk. He also has had nothing but problems with it. I think we'll stick to the Aerobirds for trainers. Personally, I plan on getting the Aerobird Swift next, as it has ailerons and I'd like to learn how to do barrel rolls and more with it. These things are a blast! Can't wait to transition into gas.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Red Hawk experience

ORIGINAL: Compstall

I bought my first R/C plane over X-mas, an Aerobird Challenger. Good plane, took a real beating before it finally died. I've since replaced the parts and figured out how to fly it well.

My daughter wanted one too, and I found the Red Hawk for about $30 cheaper than the Aerobird. This plane is virtually identical in size/shape to the Aerobird.

First day, I get the plane up for a good 10-minute flight. Next day, I plug in the battery and the motor starts spinning at about 75% throttle with no controller input. It spins with the controller OFF or ON, regardless of throttle position on the controller. I tell the LHS about it and they take it back and hand me another new Red Hawk.

I get the new Red Hawk ready for flight the next day, throw it into the wind and it flies like a dream---only for ~5 minutes. Then the motor starts to buck and hesitate. I bring it in and check it out. At first I thought it was me, because I forgot to let out the antenna and thought it just wasn't getting a good signal from my controller. Then I throw the plane back into the air. Immediately the motor starts to buck and hesitate again. I land the plane and run the motor while holding it. Below 1/2 throttle the motor spins fine, anything beyond that it hesitates horribly. So I packed the plane up.

Today, I hooked the battery up again to see what it would do. Elevons work fine, but motor will not spin at all.

I think I'm done with Red Hawks. This plane was intended for my 12-year old daughter but doesn't do much good hung up in the garage! I'm going to call my LHS tomorrow and request a refund.

On another note, a coworker wanted a plane this week and he also bought a Red Hawk. He also has had nothing but problems with it. I think we'll stick to the Aerobirds for trainers. Personally, I plan on getting the Aerobird Swift next, as it has ailerons and I'd like to learn how to do barrel rolls and more with it. These things are a blast! Can't wait to transition into gas.
Okay, Why did you not just start with "gas" (I assume you mean nitro as the gasoline powered planes tend to be larger and more expensive.) A good nitro trainer and instructor can save you a lot of time and money with these toy class planes by skipping them all together. I like the little park flyers for their intended purpose; tooling around in more confined spaces. However little more than basic orientation is all the training you will get out of them. Also I will mention to avoid the flames that there are some very nice hobby class park and electric flyers out there.

Good luck, have fun, don't quit...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Compstall

I didn't intend it as a "flame" per se, but only sharing my experience with Red Hawks. After having problems with my second Red Hawk, I took it back for a refund. I'm saving my money for a bigger step up this spring. There are several electrics I've got my eye on at this point.

Overall, I'm kinda liking the electric planes. Easy maintenance: play with it, and put it away when you're finished. I really enjoy my T-maxx's, but they are high maintenance as far as the engines go. There's a new Cessna electric plane that recently came out on the market that looks very appealing, I just don't think I'm good at flying enough to justify/chance the $400+ plane just yet. It's got over a 5' wingspan, brushless motor and runs off of two 6-cell battery packs. The guy at my LHS claimed it was good for up to 80-90 mph. This would be a huge step up for me right now, so I'll probably wait a bit for something of that caliber but I do want something challenging that will keep my interest.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
lawndart63

I would recommend the Hobbyzone "Super Cub" for your daughter to learn on. My son, ever so cocky, took my Cub up for a flight and got a little to wild
with it too low. He nearly cried when he tore the left horizontal stab off on a tree. I told him to get the epoxy and put it back together. I flew it an hour later.
Parts are relatively inexpensive and it is a super stable plane. Good to learn with.