Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 What to look for in a new nose cone/spinner >

What to look for in a new nose cone/spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What to look for in a new nose cone/spinner

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for in a new nose cone/spinner

Yesterday I bought a Torqmaster electric starter for my new NexSTAR plane. The rubber part of it dug a nice groove in my nylon spinner because at first it wouldn't turn the prop over. I want to order a new spinner and would actually like to go aluminum if I can. How do I go about figuring out what I need? It's a OS .46 FXi engine with a 11x5 prop.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:05 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: What to look for in a new nose cone/spinner

Get the same size aluminum spinner as the old plastic one was. Spinner sizes are usually dictated by the plane/fuselage and not the engine/prop size. What size was the old one? The size is measured across the backplate.

Ken
Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well IMHO using a starter will damage the spinner aluminum or not it will scratch them up. just get the same size that was on there. they are messuer by the back plate and get an allminum one make sure it does NOT touch the prop..

one the engine is tuned you shouldnt need a starter you can actually get them gooign quicker without a starter.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say stick with the plastic spinner for now and just learn how not to damage it through proper technique. You can buy several plastic spinners for the cost of one aluminum.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I had this same thing happen with my nylon spinner. The best thing to do to avoid this is to turn your motor clock wise until it starts to hit compression, then apply the starter. This way the starter can build up some speed and momentum before it hits compression so that the starter won't rub on the spinner. One other option is to go with a spinner nut. They are made of aluminum, they cost less than spinners, and they are very easy to instal and un-instal. Spinner nuts are by far my favorite. You can get them
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE158&P=7]here.[/link]

LT-40
Old 01-27-2007, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (15)

make sure the engine isnt flooded,they will hydraulic lock easly and can cause the same problem with the starter motor cone slipping on the spinner.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:41 PM
My Feedback: (7)

YellowHawk,

Not a big deal, but just as a point of information, a spinner is not the same as a nose cone. A nose cone is the "nose" of a fuselage without an engine there, as in multi engines mounted on the wing, and not the fuselage. A spinner, as you know is on the prop.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the major diff. is the price, your going to spend at least 40$ for a alum. spinner rather than 6$ for a plastic one. if you do like LT-40 said, and back your engine off the compression stroke it will spin fine.
one thing to consider there is no rubber starter bushing that will scratch a alum. spinner , I have 4 alum. spinners for several of my planes and use a starter on all of them they barely have a rub mark.
unless your spinning metal to metal then your getting years of use out of the alum.one.
save yourself some cash use the one you have a groove is not going to hurt anything unless it has worn through and that takes some doing. from your post you need some starter practice first, then worry about new spinners