Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

small glow planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

small glow planes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Avalanche2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: small glow planes

very nice.... on my way to see the vid... I was wondering about the "kit". My son and I use to put together dinosaurs that were kind of like that... that would be fun... I hope so cause the Piper Cub 20 size I have coming is in kit form... I think this will actually help in the long run. I want to oversize the engine some so it should be easier to reinforce during the build. I should have it next Wednesday.... yeeehiiii ... Ill post some pics and hopefully a vid. of her maiden coming off the pond.. thanks for the help...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
B.L.E.

Which kit? The Great Planes Cub 20? I built one of those and it flies great with a OS .26 four stroke. I love the way the wind whistles through the struts when I come out of a loop with the engine throttled back.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Avalanche2

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

Which kit? The Great Planes Cub 20? I built one of those and it flies great with a OS .26 four stroke. I love the way the wind whistles through the struts when I come out of a loop with the engine throttled back.
yeppers.. thats the one... I cant wait... did you use floats also? If not did the OS .26 four stroke seem like it would pull the extra weight? Get it through the water "drag" o.k.? Im very lucky that I have a master builder that is going to help with the build. (my first kit) I'm stoked... It should be here Wednesday..
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
B.L.E.

No, mine was strictly a land plane. No floats. A healthy .25 ball bearing two stroke ought to take it off of water. OS no longer makes the .26 four stroke. It has now been bored out to .30. That or a healthy .25 two stroke ought to be enough.

The kit is not hard to build but there is a lot to do. A lot of it is the little details, this is a scale plane you know. Consider mounting the engine inverted to get the carburettor spraybar in line with the fuel tank centerline.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, except for the decibel level, a high performance geared electric probably comes closer to sounding like a real P-51 than any glow plane does.
I don't agree, but I hardly see the point. No model that small is going to sound or act like a real airplane. I don't do electrics because they are way to expensive and unreliable. Yes the motor is reliable, but the batterys have short lives because thy cannot take the heat.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

Here is a nice .25 ARF that is differant. With all of those wings it turns on a dime and flies slow. So it is perfect for a small field.

[link=http://64.19.190.52/POLKS/itemdesc.asp?CartId={F5431216-5BB6-4526-8909-9E588311297EVERESTA}&ic=PLK10080&eq=&Tp=]Polk Hobby Foker Tripe[/link]
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Avalanche, I have a GP Piper Cub 20. It has turned out to be one of my favorites. Handles well in the air, but can be a hand full on the ground.
If you install the engine inverted, stay away from engines that have a bleed screw type LS adjustment. I installed a LA .25 and have had problems with it loading up at an idle, but in the air it pulls the plane thru about whatever I can throw at it. I use this as my deadstick practice plane, lol When trying to land with a very high idle, the Cub just floats on by.
The other thing I like about this plane,is you can transport it assembled. It fits behind my seat on a extend cab S10 and goes where I go. It sips fuel too.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
B.L.E.

I had and still have a lot of idling problems on this plane with the OS .26 four stroke, which has an air bleed carb. I can get this engine to tick over reliably at about 2800 rpm on the bench but on the plane, 3500 is about the lowest reliable idle I can achieve. I think the problem is that the fuel tank is below the engine level. Air bleed carbs have very limited fuel draw ability at idle and the idle adjustment gets really tricky if the carb has to lift the fuel any amount. That is why I am considering redoing the engine mount as an inverted mount. It should bring the carb spray bar more in line with the center of the fuel tank. This is really exagerated when the tail wheel is on the ground and the plane sits nose up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22891.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	653151