Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd Plane, When?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd Plane, When?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Plane, When?

I don't get kick backs from anyone. However, I believe one can transgress from a trainer to a more scale aircraft quite easily. For instance, the Great Planes P-51 and Corsair are both great fliers. The Great Planes Cub is another good choice. Goldberg also makes a nice Cub.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: Delbert Pierce

Every other person on this site must get a kickback from Sig. LOL. I have however seen a new Sig Kadet and it flies like a dream. The only down side I have seen is that it is a bugger in the wind. OK up to 8-10 MPH. At 15 it is reallllyyy tough to bring back against the wind.

Thanks for all the advice.

Del
This speaks volumes to the engineering SIG has put into their planes.

I built my LT-40 10 years ago and have a Hog bipe nearly complete now. Neither one was hard to build and the LT-40 is SO EASY TO FLY. Heck, I even fly the LT-40 when the wind is 10 - 20 MPH. It does get tossed around a bit, but nothing that can't be overcome. As a fellow flier put it, "If you can't fly in the wind, you will never be able to fly at this site."
Old 04-20-2007, 06:08 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I'd say when you are pushing your plane past what it's originally designed for and getting away with it because you are tired of the usual manuevers is when you are ready. Each person has a different learning curve, so can't just put a generic, after x amount of hours you are ready.

Personally, I like having a plane that's a challenge and can't go back to the easy to fly birds any more because they just don't give me any more excitement. I have a cub I picked up early on, kept it on the shelf for too long, I took it out on 3 flights, was bored stiff with it since I already moved way past it design wise before it's maiden, so there is something to be said about not being overly conservative.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good info for us newbie`s, I see you have been there done that . Thanks for the info.
ORIGINAL: saucerguy

I'd say when you are pushing your plane past what it's originally designed for and getting away with it because you are tired of the usual manuevers is when you are ready. Each person has a different learning curve, so can't just put a generic, after x amount of hours you are ready.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM
SheriffBufordTJustice

Don't get discouraged if you can't fly your trainer inverted, that is the exact reason I bought a new arf. This is one of the things you should use to guage when you are ready for a higher performance airplane. When you see the self-righting of the trainer cramping your style (like flying into the wind with full down elevator) you definitely should upgrade to a sportier model. You may even be amazed at how much easier it is to fly with wind
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, being able to fly your trainer inverted for long periods of time will make you a better pilot on other planes. Most trainers can be flown inverted for multiple circuits of the field. Too often pilots will move away from their trainer before they have even started to exlore it's capabilities. A trainer will do more aerobatics than most think it will. Yes you have to work at them a little bit more, but this makes for a better pilot in the long run. Because it's the pilot performing a manuever and not the plane. While I can't do it, I have seen a trainer do a full rolling circle!!! [X(]

Ken
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Actually, being able to fly your trainer inverted for long periods of time will make you a better pilot on other planes. Most trainers can be flown inverted for multiple circuits of the field. Too often pilots will move away from their trainer before they have even started to exlore it's capabilities. A trainer will do more aerobatics than most think it will. Yes you have to work at them a little bit more, but this makes for a better pilot in the long run. Because it's the pilot performing a manuever and not the plane. While I can't do it, I have seen a trainer do a full rolling circle!!! [X(]

Ken

I saw my LT-40 do a quick backflip into an inverted flight then a quick roll when my instructor was chassing a couple buzzards out of our air space. I was ammazed to see the plane mimick every move the buzzards could do.