Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Polarized Sunglasses

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Polarized Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
ELTIGRE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Polarized Sunglasses

according to TWO eye doctors I questioned extensively, any thing that blocks untraviolet light will work fine for glasses. you do not need $200 special lens.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
garyo1954

Oakley Half Jacket's......gotta love 'em!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentle Persons,

IMHO there isn't any advantage in wearing polarised "sunnies" unless you are flying off water or snow or adjacent to some similarly reflective surface and then they are vital. Not to mention casting to feeding fish in shallow water.

What I have found is that differnt lenses really help on dull days to help with contrast and on bright days to see you model against the glare. 100% UV is also vital to your eye's health.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Student Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I have Oakley's and would not buy them again. WAY overpriced for what you get (had some quality issues that should be non-existent in a pair of sunglasses of this price). I will be getting Ray-Ban's next time. My sunglasses are prescription btw.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If you want to try something different, inexpensive with good quality, go to Walmart and look for the "Strike King" sunglasses. You'll find them with the fishing equipment. High quality, impact resistant lenses, polarized, and available in a variety styles of colors for different lighting conditions. At $14 a pair, you won't go wrong.

Brad
Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

When I was 39 I didn't need glasses either. But at 45 my extra 300 turned into a biplane in the air. Getting old sucks!
Hey, Minn, it still sucks at 50
Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
grubbyjeans

I heard something recently that makes sense. When you reduce available light to your eyes, they dilate, allowing you to see more. Likewise, when you put on dark glasses, your eyes dilate. If your glasses aren't polarized, then the dilated pupil makes your eyes more susceptible to damage by UV.

I don't wear non-polarized glasses now.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two pairs of sunglasses, one polarized, one not. It's harder for me to see a plane far away with the polarized glasses, which were not cheap. They aren't terrible, just not as good as the others. Could be just me.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

WOW, this thread got pulled from way back when.

I remember this thread though and bought a pair of Zurich glasses. I really enjoy the polarized glasses. For me, it makes things crisper. I no longer use the Zurichs though. While the lenses are top notch, I replaced the ear pieces twice in the first year, and I only wore them to fly. I hope they have improved them since 2007.

david
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM
goirish

If you look on page 104 of the AMA magazine you will see an ad for Zurich Sunglasses-20 yankee green backs off. If you go in with someone else and buy 2 pair you get an extra 15% off. I have implants and these glasses really do the job for me. I live in Michigan so they suggested the medium density, rose lense with silver outside.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started using them when I was competing in trap and skeet shooting events. Different colors will also make the targets pop so they look like garbage can lids and are great for night driving.
Like other Gene I now have a lens in my eye so my Dr. has me wearing transitions with all the UV polarized stuff. My wife drives at night so she likes it in her glasses to knock out the glare. Zurich is really good but really the high end of the price range. If you don't normally wear glasses you can go to any good eye glass place and have a set of good sun glasses made for you without an RX and have them made with all the good coatings.