Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Additional Servos on a Hobbistar 60

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Additional Servos on a Hobbistar 60

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
shermanpm
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional Servos on a Hobbistar 60

I am about to purchase a Hobbistar 60 as my first plane. I have read a few reviews recommending adding an additional servo for the ailerons. I am new at this and was wondering if this is really necessary or will the plane fly great with only one servo for the ailerons?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Additional Servos on a Hobbistar 60

Once you get into the 60 size aircraft I really like having independent servos for each aileron. In a trainer of the 60 size variety I am sure you could be fine with just the one though. However you will want the extra servo for your next plane I am sure
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
edberg

Single servo will work fine.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As Mr67stang said, you could get an extra sevro but I really wouldn't worry about it. Especially if the trainer isn't set up for one. The reasoning for this is because you are going to have to tear into the wing and make modifcations in order to mount the two aileron servos in the wing. This isn't necessarily difficult if you have the experience, but it's something that people just starting out in the hobby don't have. My recommendation is to just fly the plane as the manufacturer set up. I've flown lots of 60 sized planes with one aileron servo and had no issues. All of my Ultra Sport 60's were flown with one aileron servo and it was more than enough for that plane.

Ken
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
jetmech05

It's a nice trainer as is, flies well and you'll enjoy it.
Now remember its a trainer and it's roll rate will be slow enough to take a nap while it finishes it's roll. Thats what you want a trainer to do. The second aileron servo might make the ailerons a nano second faster. but its a trainer.
You can add the second servo later if you wish.
Go forth and learn Grasshopper, But more important have fun
Good Luck let us know when you solo
Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
shermanpm
My Feedback: (17)

Thank you all for your advise! I can't wait to solo.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 PM
ABELL

JustDeamin, I have the Hobistar 60 and have had it set up both ways. Putting two servos in the wing was as simple as enlarging the servo bay and cutting a new tray out of lite ply. I wanted to experiment with flaperons. The plane lands and takes off just fine on a short runway w/o the flap function. I did not fly it long with the two servos before I went back to a one servo set up and I believe it is a little smoother with just the one. But that may just be all in my mind. Anyway there is no need for a second servo.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
foosball_movie

I have the same trainer. It is my first plane and I think it's great. Built like a tank.

I actually came across a AMA 2005 magazine with instructions on how to install two aileron servos. I may add them because I want to play around with flapperons.

But one servo has worked well so far and I've been told that I fly very hard and aggressive. Rolls are pretty slow even with dual rates on.

I'll post that article early next week.