Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Broken Props

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Broken Props

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
LT40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Props

Well,
I am a new pilot just learning. I have an LT40 and its a nice flying plane.
The last time I went to the field, I landed my plane for the first time. Just
not on the runway. Hey, grass is grass. Well, last night at the field, I took
off by myself. Ugly, but ok. I landed 3 times last night. First time, no
problem. Slightly off runway, but still down. The next 2 flights, I broke a prop
on each landing. Pissed me off. I guess I just need to get a sim and practice.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Broken Props

LT40,
It's great that you're progressing in your flying!!! Unfortunately broken props are just part of training. That's just the facts of the matter. The best thing I can say is to just stock up so that you don't get grounded by a broken prop. You didn't say what brand of props you were using but I usually recommend that my students buy Master Airscrew props for when they are learning. I recommend these because they are usually the lowest priced props out there and they can take a pretty good amount of punishment without breaking. This doesn't mean that they won't break, but they'll better absorb those dings and dents that are just part of learning to fly.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
LT40

Well,
I don't know the brand. They are wooden 10 6's.
When I bought my trainer , I bought 3 spare props
at that time. I'm glad I did.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

LT-40,
wood props are probably the easiest to break. Heck, I've been flying for almost 11 years now and I still fear using wood props. seems to me that as soon as I put a wood prop on the plane tips over or something to shatter the prop. But me and Murphy have never got along anyway!!!!

In all honesty thought, pick up some Master Airscrew props if you can. They will absorb a lot a punishment that will shatter a wood prop. Even a simple tip striking the runway will shatter a wood prop, but the MA prop will be fine with. Your props will last a lot longer using something besides wood.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LT40

Well,
I don't know the brand. They are wooden 10 6's.
When I bought my trainer , I bought 3 spare props
at that time. I'm glad I did.
LT40, Master Airscrew makes both Nylon and WOOD props. Their Wood props are second only to Zinger in lesser aerodynamic quality however they are robust and can take a fair beating. I use them frequently.

At your LHS you will recognize the M/A nylon as most are black in color. They too are fairly healthy props. You may wish to sand off the edges and check the balance as you should ANY prop. Saves small cuts when handling. They market several style of wood props. Use the standard ones for your purpose.

EDITED to add: The 11-5 is far better for a 40-46 trainer than 10-6. Gives you slower landing speed and better TO thrust.

Beginners generally make one maistake that causes a lot of broken props. As you near the ground and slow, you need to constantly increase, AND HOLD the back pressure (back stick elevator) to keep the nose up as the throttle is retarded and airspeed is reduced removing airflow over the elevator which then allows the nose to drop, thus allowing the prop to contact earth as the nose gear bends momentarily backwards like a spring.

Learning to hold that backpressure while still using the ailerons to steer the model is a difficult thing to do. You need to remain conscious of such. Of course if you can learn to revert to rudder steering during the landing phase, the whole thing will be much easier, however holding the backpressure is usually easier.

The LT-40 can fly beautifully, when the elevator is set up to have the elevator at full-up back-stick with a nice 10-12* nose-up attitude, very slow touch-down, with a nice 40-46 engine. BTDT frequently.

BTW, coordinating some rudder in your approaches will assist you in staying on centerline and on the runway. Spend 80% ++ of your flight time for your first 20-25 hours shooting approaches and touch and go landings. The other stuff can wait.
Any Take-off with a turn prior to the first 50 ft. after lift off or when you so direct a turn is OUT-OF-CONTROL. Use rudder and keep those climb-outs straight and shallow until YOU want a change.

Best of luck in your progress.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, MAS 11x5 is a winner. I still use them too. Bought APC last time because LHS was out of MAS. Stupid LHS is always understocked.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
carrellh

The Master Airscrew glass filled nylon props look like the one in this photo.
Everyone has their favorite size to recommend.
10x6 and 11x5 seem to be most popular for 40 size trainer planes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87051.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	691175