Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is it customary

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is it customary

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Gary L.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it customary

To tip your instructor? Mine is also my barber, nothing was ever said about $ , he offered to teach me and I took him up on the offer.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
TCrafty

Default RE: Is it customary

I didn't, but then he made some $$$ on me when I bought one of his old airplanes. Actually, he didn't MAKE any money on it. He sold it to me (with extra parts) for what he paid for it. AND, he's the guy who buys fuel at our field in bulk so that we all get the best deal possible. Hmmm. Pretty good guy I'd say. i guess that's why they do it. Because they want to. Not for the pay although, I do know of some guys who do charge for their services. To each their own.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 PM
danny31292

You don't need to tip him. Every good instructer should ask for nothing in return. Many times they even end up give students some spare screw or a control horn that they have not yet purchased. If he hasn't asked for money then he doing great and has the right attitude. Plus you are giving him business every time you get your hair cut. Just fly and be happy you have a good instructor.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

GaryL,
This question comes up every now and then. I can't speak for all instructors, but as for myself I don't need anything. My reward comes when I see you solo and become an active part of the flying field. If an instructor wanted something for his efforts he would have charged you a fee up front. If you feel that you must do something for him then do something that has the greatest impact. I had one student buy me a Chili's gift card. Or maybe a gift certificate at the LHS. But I doubt that he expects anything.

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Gary L.

Like I said, nothing was said, the guy just really loves to fly, his shop is loaded with RC mag's and he'll talk planes to anyone who will listen, just wanted to know what the other instructers thought. Thanks guy's.
The gift cert. would be cool, his shop is right next door to the hobbie shop.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

I inquired with my original instructor about payment and he refused. He said that "when the time comes I could teach someone else, that would be payment enough and that is how it works."
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: ptmac3

I inquired with my original instructor about payment and he refused. He said that "when the time comes I could teach someone else, that would be payment enough and that is how it works."
Had forgotten to mention that in my post. But yes, I usually ask that instead of payment the student pays it forward. Help out somebody else down the line.

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I've never asked for money for instructing. But I wouldn't mind if the student offers to buy a gallon of fuel when they're learning on my plane.

Brad
Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
blindguarden

A little story about my instructor,
I remember when I first got into this great hobbie, I had a hard time finding someone to teach me to fly.
Well when I did find someone to teach me I spent about 2 days and about 4 flights before I soloed. My instructor was a great teacher!!
Any way to make a long story short I offered to by him some fuel for his time but he told me no it was his pleasure and not to worry about it. I remember that he was more excited about me soloing than I was lol... (he was jumping and yelling like a kid) that I soloed!
anyway the next weekend when I came to the field for my first flight without my instructor at my side, he was at the field and before I had a chance to get everything unloaded from the car he called me over and said that he had something for me. Hummm... I said to myself. He told me to wait a min. then he walked over to his van and pulled out a box and brought it over to me and said here I got you something. It was another kit!!! he told me that he bought me a gift for soloing and that this would be a good second plain for when I was ready to move up from my trainer.

the morial of the story is that alot of instructors (I believe) get more joy out of there students soloing than anything that we can offer them.
I tell you that when I get to the point to start to train students I will most likely do the same as my intructor had done for me and I will NEVER take any money and ect.. and most likely buy my students a little gift to get them off on the right foot in this wonderful hobby!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

One thing I do for my students that they have all loved is I print them a solo certificate as a reward for their accomplishment. Every one of them has loved it, and as far as I know all of those certificates are still hanging up on their walls.

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could I have one that says the HardHead taught himself ? Now mind ya, paid for in crash, I mean cash !
ORIGINAL: RCKen

One thing I do for my students that they have all loved is I print them a solo certificate as a reward for their accomplishment. Every one of them has loved it, and as far as I know all of those certificates are still hanging up on their walls.

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 PM
ag4ever

Ken
In this litigious society we are in, I would be carefull with that. If one of your students was to injure someone, and the injured party found out you gave them a certificate (even an unofficial one) they might decide to sue you for claiming the person was qualified to fly solo.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 PM
anonymouse

I never have nor never will expect to be compensated in any way for teaching someone to fly. The reward I get is seeing that I could pass on something that someone else enjoys. As far as being sued for giving somone a certificate for soloing, there are more than enough things that a person could sue over and have a better chance of getting something out of it. They would have to be pretty hard up to look for "deep pockets" there....[:-]
Old 05-25-2007, 08:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If they want to sue me, let em. Can't get blood out of a turnip!!!1

Ken
Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: ag4ever

Ken
In this litigious society we are in, I would be carefull with that. If one of your students was to injure someone, and the injured party found out you gave them a certificate (even an unofficial one) they might decide to sue you for claiming the person was qualified to fly solo.

Is dah Pahhhhty poopah
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Ken has a 2.5 million dollar liability policy to protect him from such frivilous legal action. He's an AMA member.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Dave trimmer

ORIGINAL: ag4ever

Ken
I must say that if your concerned about that then maybe you have bigger things to worry about, such as lending someone at the field widow cleaner because they may get some in their eye and while in a panic their son will drink some thinking it's juice and the dog will choke on the wraper. I'm sorry but there are stupid people that i know who sue for rediculous stuff such as a robber trips in a guys backyard because he breaks his arm. Please don't be concerned with being sued because their are too many other things to worry about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM
bruce88123

I don't expect to get paid by my students but I do find myself regularly needing to give them rubber bands, fuel, props, clevis's or the like. It would be nice of you to make sure your lessons are at least NOT costing him anything. I'm not saying not to borrow but do replace what you borrow. Sooner or later you will be labled a mooch by others if it goes on too long. You can also be the one to bring coffee to the field for him in the morning, don't forget the cream.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Mr67Stang

I would not/could not accept a penny from my student/s. I put all I have into ensuring they get a rewarding experience every time out at the feild. If I was paid then I would feel I have to do more for them and I am already giving them all I have. One of my students on his first day forgot to bring his fuel. He lives 45 minutes away and closer to another feild with instructors but comes to see me. I fueled his plane that day. In my opinion it is the instructor who owes the student. We PAY attention to the students unique needs to ensure they successfully learn to operate and maintain their model aircraft. Not to mention in the early stages of training when you save their trainer from 3 perilous death dives per flight... Hmm 3 x ($65/ARF) = $195 per flight. Yes we owe you when we agree to instruct you.