Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Landing...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Landing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 PM
nucleusbrains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing...

Can someone please tell me the best way to land? When you are coming in and you are in line and have the nose up close to touch down do you throttle up like in a real plane or what?
Thanks C.P
Old 05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Trollmaster

Default RE: Landing...

You need to find an instructor. AMA site can help locate a local club
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Mutt

Make sure you have enough flaps deployed your trim tabs set right and make sure you have clearance with tower.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only time I have to throttle up when landing full size is if I am below the glide slope and am going to be short other wise the throtle is reduced not increased.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:07 PM
rwright142

Different planes land differently. It would help to know more about what you are flying. Warbirds, for example, need more speed.

Trollmaster's advice is right on - find a club and an instructor and they will be able to show you. Most clubs have a 'buddy box' system where the instructors radio plugs into yours and they can control if they need to.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM
danny31292

Yes find an instructor but when your landing don't follow one set of instructions and let the plane do what it want to. If it is to slow and close to stalling then add alittle power or if it's just right let it glide in at idle. Just make sure you are flying the plane and it does what you want it to do. But find an instructor and soon landing will be second nature. You wont even notice the small corrections you are doing.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: danny31292

Yes find an instructor but when your landing don't follow one set of instructions and let the plane do what it want to. If it is to slow and close to stalling then add alittle power or if it's just right let it glide in at idle. Just make sure you are flying the plane and it does what you want it to do. But find an instructor and soon landing will be second nature. You wont even notice the small corrections you are doing.
This is probably the best answer you got for this question. Flying is as much feel as it is procedure. You will with practice get a feel for how a plane flies (and each will require different touches) and what you have to do to keep it level and on the mains for touch down.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:42 PM
danny31292

Do you have a plane yet and have you found an instructor. As soon as you start flying and get the sticks in your hands this will make alot more sense.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every plane lands a bit different from another and even that changes with the weather (wind). No 2 landings are the same either. Find an instructor to show you the thought process behind developing an approch and landing and how to alter it as needed.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
jetmech05

I agree with everyone else get an instructor.
If you just want a general answer well here goes: True, not all airplanes land the same. So for this we'll talk about a trainer.
first off,, and I know I am going to catch it, on approach elevators become speed and throttle becomes altitude.
If you don't believe that, imagine what happens when you're on glide path and you do nothing but increase power. the aircraft climbs.
If you do nothing but increase elevators, the nose raises the aircraft slows and will stall and slam on the runway.
now with that out of the way. With a trainer on final keeping some elevator input to keep the nose level with very little power, if any. the aircraft should be descending nose level. the trade off for altitude is speed. so as you cross the threshold of the runway, power off you can begin to increase elevator for the flair. if the airplane climbs your too fast, go around, try again. if the aircraft altitude stays put you will slow. and can land on just the mains as you slowing keep increaseing the elevators. At any time if you begin to decsend to steep, add a couple of clicks of throttle and then take the throttle back off that will stop your steep decsent. at anytime you can always add full power and go around to try again. much better to go around than to try and force a bad landing.
this is much easier to show someone than it is to tell someone. do yourself a favor please get an instructor
Good Luck
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM
acarter

well, like everyone said get an instructor, but a sim might not be a bad idea either, not only can they teach you to take off and land but you'll become a better pilot because you will try things on the sim that you would never try on your real plane, and then when you get out there on the field the basics, like takeoff and landing will come super easy for ya
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 AM
broke_n_bummin

Hopefully, if you're asking this question, you're talking about a trainer. If so, the easiest way I have found is to glide into the runway, staying about 6 inches off the ground level and slow. You can either cut the engine back to idle, or cut it off. If you pitch up at this point, you'll stall and crash. If you pitch down, you'll have to rebend your nose wheel. It's easier to perform a successful landing heading into the wind, but with practice, tailwind and crosswind landings are possible. You've already gotten alot of good advice here, but almost everyone will tell you to get an instructor. If you choose not to enlist the help of someone with experience, then perhaps you should start with something a little more disposable. That is, unless you don't mind buying a new plane every time you botch a landing. I had to learn on my own, but only because it was 60 miles to the nearest field. I still have most of my trainer, somewhere. Then I started building planes out of corrugated plastic. I could plant the plane hard, spend 15 - 20 minutes with a hot glue gun and back in the air it went. It probably would have taken alot less time if I would have gotten help, but, then again, I was young, impatient, and just had to prove to myself I could do it.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:40 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On approach, bring back the throttle to start your descent. Use elevator to control attitude, throttle to control altitude. In other words, keep the plane level using elevator, and control your sink rate by nudging or backing off the throttle, just a click at a time. If you go long, throttle up and go around, try again. The ideal is to reach a stall about the time the mains touch, then pull throttle to idle. Some planes land better with a little speed, usually planes with a higher wing loading.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Bill Lowen

like eveyone else said, get an instructor. I found with my trainer if you cut the power it will kind of float in, I give it a little up elevator just before it settles to kind of flare the nose. It seemed to work pretty good. I also installed a Fults nose gear, a dual wire nose gear. It was about $17. It probably was worth it as some of my landings were a bit hard.