Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel dot and fuel T for cowling covered eng

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel dot and fuel T for cowling covered eng

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:09 AM
zig123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel dot and fuel T for cowling covered eng

I'm building a Modelfly Beaver experimental with an engine cowling. I was thinking of ordering a fuel dot from www.pspmfg.com and a fuel T .
This way i can refuel without removing the cowling. Any thoughts or better idea. This is my second plane and my first, an Alpha 40 had an open engine.

Zig
Old 05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel dot and fuel T for cowling covered eng

Ditch the T and go with a 3 line fule system. Dedicated line for fuel/defuel.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I'm with deadeye. Use the three line system. Easy to setup, reliable and simple.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHE1&P=7
Old 05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

There is also this option - Great Planes Easy Fueler Valve Glow . Just installed one on my SSE and used it yesterday. Very nice. My SSE was previously set up with the three line fuel plumbing, but I went to this inline fueler and really like it. I've heard both good and bad about this item, so time will tell. But for now it's sweet. Using a catch jar for my muffler line, fueling is very clean now.

somegeek
Old 05-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: somegeek

There is also this option - Great Planes Easy Fueler Valve Glow . Just installed one on my SSE and used it yesterday. Very nice. My SSE was previously set up with the three line fuel plumbing, but I went to this inline fueler and really like it. I've heard both good and bad about this item, so time will tell. But for now it's sweet. Using a catch jar for my muffler line, fueling is very clean now.

somegeek
I've heard those are a leak waiting to happen, but I've got one on a Corsair and never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:58 PM
bruce88123

Easy fueler or 3-line. The T will cause engine flooding.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Alex7403

the dubro simple system http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHE1&P=7
didn’t work for me, I had trouble to seal the cap and to hold it in place closed.

What im doing is (in dry yet):
three line, there is another fuel line that goes into the tank.
and its connected to a GP fueler valve on the side.
the fueler valve is not connected to the carb, i just sealed it with an end.
This way I don’t feed the carb from the fueler.

what do you guys think about it?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 PM
zig123

Thanks for the info it looks like the Easy Fueler

Zig
Old 05-27-2007, 07:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Zig,
Over the years I've tried both the Great Planes and Dubro easy fuelers, more than several times for each brand. Each and every one has caused problems after a bit of use. They will either not seal completely which will let your fuel leak out after the tank is full, or they will block the fuel flow to the carb which can cause a whole mess of problems with your plane running properly. I'll never use another one again. I use the Fuel Dots and a three line system. It's quick and easy to set up, and is very reliable in use. You simply hook up the fuel dot to the third hole of the fuel tank and use it for fueling/defueling your plane. There are two ways you can set up the plumbing for the third line. You can use a second line inside the tank with a 2nd clunk, the clunk will let you pump out the fuel from the tank. Or the other way to do it is to put your brass tubing through the stopper and then bend down to the bottom of the tank (at the stopper end). To completely defuel your plane simply lift the tail of the plane and the fuel can be completely pumped from the fuel tank.

I have found a good use for those Easy Fueler Valves, they make great sinkers on a fishing line!!!

Ken
Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Dave trimmer

I have heard the same problem with easy fuellers, What I did was installed my easy fueller and took some fuel tubing and fuel T the 2 nipples together and had it as the third line, that way when they leak it wont interfier with the carb, I haven't flown it yet so I may put in a check valve near it so if it leaks it will be only the fuel between the valves will leak.

Dave trimmer
Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 AM
rxAxilleas

i have one easyfuel valve and it is leaking after 5 flights.i dont think that it is great planes.
the bigest problem is that it generates bables in the fuel at ful throtle and cause engine problems. the fuel is coolpower and advertised as no foaming fuell. i remove the cowling and have clear view of all the lines. i can see the line coming from the tank without bables and after the valve full of bables.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 AM
jetmech05

I cant remember who makes them. but it's a fuel dot. the dot is a sleve. Make a hole where you need it. insert the sleve, the sleve is secured by a nut on the back side. The fill line (3 line system) passes through the sleve. A cap is placed in the fill line and pushed back in, all held in place by friction or a tiny o-ring. No t's, no leaks, very simple. when you need to fill remove the cap the fill line comes with it, remove the cap and fill. every thing has a down side. the down side to this is a longer fill line, but compaired to a leak or a specail fill adapter that you need with some fuelers... I'll take it
Have fun
Old 05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Sneasle

I did something similar on my Mini-Funtana rebuild. Using a 3-line system. I glued a small piece of hardwood 90* to the firewall at the opening in the bottom of the cowl. I drilled a hole in the hardwood piece slightly larger then the fuel tubing. I then take a black fuel dot (that looks like a game piece from the "Sorry" board game) and insert it into the fuel line. I then push the fuel line down into the hole. The bulge from the fuel dot keeps it in place.

I put epoxy on the hardwood piece to fuel proof it. It also filled the hole a bit which I then trimmed out which allows for a very custom and snug fit. The epoxy creates a small ring that slips in between the dot portion of the fuel dot and the end of it. To refuel/defuel, just pull on the fuel dot and it pops out with the fuel line. Pull the dot, fuel the plane, push the dot into the line and then back into the hoel. Quick and easy. In my case, it does require flipping the plane over, but it should not be a big deal.

CG makes a fuel filler as well, looks a lot cooler then the Dubro/GP ones. I have one but have not tried it yet. I will use it on a Lanier Razor, but it will still be setup up as a 3-line system with one end of the fueler blocked off.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
opjose

Go with what RCKen says. I have had problems with most fuel fillers from different manufacturers.

The rings are far too easy to damage and you'll often not know that they have been damaged.

The fuel dots with a three line system work just great... better still a uniflow setup with the dots.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another vote for 3-line system with a Fuel Dot.

I've tried all the rest, and this works the best
Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

One question about the 3-line system with a fuel dot: what prevents fuel from flooding the engine when you are filling the tank? Is fuel not forced into the line going to the carb as the tank fills? What am I missing?

Thanks,
David
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
pkevinb

I have the 3 line system on all of my cowled planes and when fueling I have never had a problem with fuel going to the carb. I believe it is because the vent line to the muffler is the least restrictive and that is where the excess fuel will flow first.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rainedave

One question about the 3-line system with a fuel dot: what prevents fuel from flooding the engine when you are filling the tank? Is fuel not forced into the line going to the carb as the tank fills? What am I missing?

Thanks,
David
Just close the throttle all the way, to engine "kill".

Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The muffler line has no resistance.The carb line has the needle as resistance. Even with the carb wide open the fuel will go out the muffer line when you fuel up.
The three line is the best set up. Many years ago I had a fueler that kept sticking. I pulled it off the plane and put a fuel dot. The plane seamed to come to life. I ran several tanks with and without the fueler on an uncoweled plane. The EZ fueler was costing me 300RPM on a SuperTiger 90. Maybe these results are not typical. I never tried the test again.Iit was however the last one of these I ever used.

David
Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 warbirds with full cowls,and one almost finished on the bench, all have Dubro EZ fuelers, none leak, and they work fine.
not sure why they go bad for the other guys but mine work well and are a clean looking install.
the Dubro's also cut the fuel supply to the carb when fueling so you can't flood the engine the exess either pours out the muffler or if you T off the muffler pressure line it will run out there for a 2 line system.I would think a T would be better for a 2stroke engine since the muffler is so large.
for 4strokes the muffler is pretty small all my 4strokes are inverted there has never been a flooding issue.
after filling just plug the line I use a socket head cap screw.
the trick to the dubro's is run your lines dry and don't let fuel sit there to gum up the valve for the winter building season
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18843.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	793662  
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 PM
kid chuckles

I have used the DuBro filler as do alot of the guys I fly with. Have seen one problem out of maybe 30 of them. And it had been on this particular plane for a long long time and had also not been used in some time. I myself have never had a problem. Seems to me my tanks only have two holes for lines maybe not I am not looking at one at this moment but if only two how do you make room for a third line got any pic's of this anyone. Might have to give that a try.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

kid chuckles, look at the back side of the rubber stopper and you will see the third hole. It's not opened all the way through on the front; you have to break or cut it through.

Thanks for the fill/resistance explanations. Now I remember that air and fluids are sort of like electricity - or, visa versa - in that they will take the path of least resistance. I guess one could also use a hemostat Ã* la bladder tank systems.

David