Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Solo Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Solo Flight

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
felixone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Solo Flight

Well today I got my wings, so to speak. After the last session with my instructor we started talking about cutting the cord. We discussed a couple things I needed to work on, and I vowed to spend some time preparing on the simulator.

Last night I get a call from my instructor asking if I wanted to try an early morning solo flight. I of course jumped at the chance, and immediately went to my shop to start my batteries charging.

I woke at the crack of dawn, too excited to sleep. I packed the car, and headed to the field. Once my instructor arrived we worked on deadstick landings a bit. Things were going well. My timer was about up, so I brought it in for a landing. It was not my best landing; I bounced pretty high after first contact. As the plane came down the prop hit the ground, shutting down the engine. The plane was in one piece but the prop didn’t fare as well. It was a wooden prop, and although it didn’t shatter it did splinter on the grain.

Of course as this was my only prop, as I haven’t received my most recent Tower order. It looked like my flying for the day was done, but thankfully another pilot showed up who happened to have a couple props in my size. After attaching the new prop, I had some fun when I spun it right off with starter. Making sure you prop nut is tight enough is a lesson everyone needs to learn.

Everything was put back together, and I was ready to take it up again. We buddy boxed one more time just to make sure everything was in working order. It was a short flight. I brought it back down, refueled, and was ready for my first solo flight.

My takeoff left a bit to be desired (took off at an angle to the runway, and drifted a bit once in the air), but I made it up without any serious problems. I did a few lazy circles trying to get the feel of my radio (this was my first flight actually using my radio). Once I was comfortable I did a couple simple maneuvers (loops and rolls) trying to stall the inevitable landing. After a couple minutes of this I decided it was time. I lined up for approach, cut the throttle, and slowly brought her in. Again, I need to work on tightening my landings, but for now they will do. Since I had only used up about half my time I taxied around and lined up for another take off. This time the takeoff was a bit smoother. A couple lazy circles later I brought her in for the second time.

So thanks to an incredible instructor and a borderline obsession with the simulator I was able to successfully complete my first solo flight. Although there are a million things I need to learn and practice, being able to cut that cord was such an amazing feeling that I needed to share.

Anyway, now that I am soloing, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a 40% Gasser.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First Solo Flight

Felixone,
Ok, now you need to wipe that silly little smile off of you face!!! Just kidding, we all had that same smile. Heck, I had it for three weeks after my solo flight!!! [8D]

Congrats!!!!

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63422.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	692407  
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Dave trimmer

Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!Congradulations and have fun.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:33 PM
rwright142

Congrats and nice report!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go and congrats. Enjoyed your story, tx.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: felixone
Of course as this was my only prop, as I haven’t received my most recent Tower order. It looked like my flying for the day was done, but thankfully another pilot showed up who happened to have a couple props in my size. After attaching the new prop, I had some fun when I spun it right off with starter. Making sure you prop nut is tight enough is a lesson everyone needs to learn.
I did this too. When I was flying with an instructor, he advised that the prop nut is one fastener on the plane that you should not be shy about torquing down. I think about that every time I swap the prop out.

Anyway, now that I am soloing, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a 40% Gasser.
That's the spirit! ...this 40% will just have to be a hangar queen for a bit.

Congrats on the solo! Quite a feeling to know you can go fly when you want!

somegeek
Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 PM
bruce88123

Congrats on the solo.

It's amazes me when my students notice that their radio "feel" different in the air than what they have been flying. I always caution them that they will but I don't think they understand what I mean until they actually fly. Stick pressures, stick throw sensitivity and things like that plus simply feels different in their hands.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 AM
felixone

Thank you all for all the nice things you have said. I really appreciate it. Even after nice sleep to calm down, I still can't. I am sitting here writing this trying to figure out how I can sneak back out to the field for a couple more flights.

As far as the gasser goes, I think now is the perfect time. I can be like all other guys at my field who bring out there nice big shiny planes. They set them up, polish them all pretty. Then they spend the rest of their time their complaining about the wind, or that it is too sunny, or too overcast. After a couple hours they pack them back up and go home having never flown them. Actually I am just kidding. We do have quite a few really good pilots in my club, and even more really nice large planes, but from what I have seen they do generally get flown. I am also just kidding about actually getting one.

Now as far as the radio feel goes I was pretty prepared for that. I had actually already noticed it with the buddy box when compared to the sim controller. The sim controller is really sloppy compared to what my club uses for a Futaba box. They use an old Futaba 6 channel radio (which coincidentally was the exact radio I had bought when I got into this hobby the first time). The first time on the sticks I commented that I needed a new radio because I even though the buddy box was old I could tell it was better quality than my radio. Of course I won't be giving myself much time to get accustomed to my 4 channel radio. I bought a Futaba 9C from a fellow club member on Saturday, and as soon as I get it set and a trustworthy battery in it I will be switching. Just playing with it on the ground it feels nicer than the 4 channel, and even better than the buddy box.

So again, thanks to everyone! Ken, I will work on getting that smile removed
Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 AM
acarter

now your not a real rc pilot until you turn a perfectly good plane into a pile of balsa jk

good luck and happy flyin
Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Gary L.

WAY TO GO, I envy you, I got rained out yesterday for my 2nd trip out.
Now you can go when you want to.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 AM
my05monte

Congrats on your solo. My first solo with my instructor had my plane do a nose-dive on take-off. Yep it threw my glo-plug in left field somewhere. luckily I had a spare (along with a new prop) and after re-adjusting the motor mount, my instructor took it back up to check the trim and gave her back to me. Is this fun or what!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TideFlyer

Congratulations!! Welcome to the addiction. It`s a great feeling ain`t it? Just fly the wings off that trainer! You`re at a vulnerable stage right now, so remember ALTITUDE AND AIR SPEED ARE YOUR FRIENDS!! Also, the best part of this hobby will sneak up on you, that being the great friends you`ll make. Have a ball!!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Congrats!! Great job. Hey, prop-nuts happen... In fact, they still happen. I had one come undone this weekend on my Tiger 120 with OS 1.20 AX turning a 15-10 prop. That's a lot of prop to not be backed up.. fortunately, it was just the spinner nut that came undone. The main nut was nice and tight. So, I double checked the main prop nut and then re-mounted the spinner nut.

My solo was interesting. The grass on the field was quite high, so everything I did that morning was 'recorded' as a trace in the grass. I was the only one there. My intent was to practice taxi, going away, coming toward, everything. I read somewhere that it was good to walk behind the plane as you taxi it around, so I did a lot of that.

Then, I got on the flight line and taxied around as though I was going to set up for a flight. I did that a couple times, then I thougt I would practice aborted take-off's, not wanting the plane to leave the ground. I did that three or four times.. felt great.

Yeah, you got it.. I did one more and the plane was airborne. Intentional? Oh, probably, but that's not what I told myself at the time. Anyway, there I was, up and flying, alone. NO one around but me. So, I circled a few times then said, 'self... time to try the landing'.

So, I set it up and greased in the finest landing you ever saw. Then I heard this cheering behind me. The club President had arrived, I was so intent in doing what I was doing that I never heard him drive up.

He walked up to me, patted me on the back and said, "Well, Dick, you solo'ed. No more excuses!!! Congrats!" I then took off and flew about 5 or 6 full flights that day.

That was about 6 or so years ago and I've been having a ball every since.

Enjoy the hobby, as we all do.

DS.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
jmurphy18

Congrats! Enjoy the flying now
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
bboykin

to rckin i made my first flight a couple weeks ago you donot the feeling until you do it the instructor told me to do it even if i went across runway thanks to this plane it was airborne in about 10 ft had one excellent pilot watching thanks for his encouragement this was at a flyday at out field thanks for the patience and help from a great planemodelores from this club it is located in south ARKANSAS they have had a lot of patience with 59 yr old who has wanted to this several decades thanks for your information and help from rc universe
Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
bruce88123

Hey bboykin - got any periods................. in that keyboard? Here.................................... I got a few I can spare for you...............................
Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 PM
bboykin

why use peiords can't you figure out the stops .the peiords seen to add length to message thought simple was better where to put dots your out like severice..............
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
bruce88123