Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

covering Irons question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

covering Irons question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
jmurphy18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering Irons question

I am gettng ready to order my Irons and heat gun today. What do you guys think of the irons below. Coverite vs hobbico? I have the extra $12 difference in price.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB361]coverite iron[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001349828&I=LXL499&P=K]Hobbico[/link]

This is the combo I was thinking of ordering along with some monokote
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1440&P=K]Combo[/link]
Old 05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: covering Irons question

I've used all of those irons and they all work great. You'll do fine with any of them. If you are making an order to Tower I would recommend that you also pick up a thermometer [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB352&P=7]Coverite Pocket Thermometer[/link] . This little tool is invaluable when covering. It let's you set your irons for the proper temps for covering. Whenever I get a new iron I will use the thermometer to calibrate the iron, and I label the temps on iron for future reference. Never ever trust the temp settings printed on the iron itself, rather verify it with the Pocket Thermometer first.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
superflea

I prefer the hibbico iron.
the coverite iron is too rounded for my liking. I find it hard to seal down edges because of the roundness of if. The hobbico iron is more squared off making it very easy to tell where the heating surfaces is and therefore exactly where to place the iron to get the results you are looking for.

That said, they are both good irons, they both heat up nicely, they both function very well. Its just that coverite is a bit more awkward to use for me. Its hard to put in words and it is only a matter of opinion but there it is. it feels awkward to me.

edited for spelling never for grammar
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I've got the TopFlite iron and the Coverite trim iron. I've not used the standard Coverite iron, but I do like my TopFlite sealing iron - no complaints. For new 'socks' I use office binding clips and scraps of old t-shirts.

For the trim iron, the Coverite I have is nice for those tight spots. Comes with two different shaped tips.

I use a heat gun on wide areas, but if you need to, you can hover your standard sealing iron on high over these spots to do the same - just takes a little longer.

somegeek
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
rctrax

I like the coverite 21st cen iron because it is better at holding the temp at the set level. Its cycling points are closer together so it holds the temp closer to what you set it for. It heats quicker ond has a indicater lite to tell you when it's up to temp. They don't seem to last as long however. I have went thru two of them but I still like them.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:52 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no PERFECT iron. Ecah hes it's good and bad points and wht one guy likes the next user may not. None of them are terrible.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM
jmurphy18

Thanks very much everyone! I did order the thermoter also, thanks for that tip Ken.
John