Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio and first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio and first plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM
jermpool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and first plane

I am almost ready to buy my first plane and I have a couple of questions.

1) FM, PCM, or Spread Spectrum? I plan on buying 1 radio to use on several planes for several years. Which one would you get and why?

2) A friend of mine, who already flies, suggested that I buy an electric "park flyer" to learn how to fly without having to drive to an airfield and then when I get the hang of it go buy a nitro trainer. Any thoughts on this approach to learning? By the way it takes me about 40 min. to drive to the field.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Radio and first plane

If you don't mind spending $310 to $350, The Spektrum DX7 2.4Ghz radio system should be more than enough radio for you to grow and learn with for quite a few years. It can handle large and small aircraft, sailplanes, and helicopters. Extra receivers for your aircraft will cost you $60 to $100 each as you add on planes.

Nobody is rushing to the recycling centers with their 72Mhz radio systems to have them crushed quite yet, however. A high quality 72Mhz FM/PCM radio system like the Airtronics RD8000, Futaba 7C, or Hitec Eclipse 7 should also last you quite a few years, and extra FM/PPM receivers for these systems are available from around $14.95 to $59.95, with PCM digital receivers available around $99.

I tried to teach myself to fly on an electric parkflyer before I found my first flying club and started flight training on glow planes. I spent $130 on an Aerobird Challenger and spent several weeks pounding it into various soccer fields and parklands before I heard about a nearby flying club. The club convinced me to buy a glow trainer and I found it much more stable, reliable, and easy to fly than my Aerobird. Once I learned how to fly the glow trainer, I found I could handle the Aerobird much better as well.

Buying an electric parkflyer and throwing it around hoping you will learn to fly can be done, but it's not easy. My local hobby store made a small fortune selling me replacement wings, tail assemblies, and propellers while I struggled with the electric plane. In my opinion, the money spent on an electric parkflyer would be better spent simply buying your flight box, starting equipment, and field tools for your glow trainer.

If you choose to get an electric parkflyer, you should consider the Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF or the Parkzone Slo-V. These are both designed for slower stable flight and will give you the best chance to succeed on your own:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1300

If you would rather invest your money in a quality glow trainer, please consider the Thunder Tiger Easy Fly 40H Super Combo with Side Kick field accessory package:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/easy-t...k-p-13081.html

This package includes a high quality glow-powered trainer with pre-installed radio system, .40-sized glow engine, and pretty much everything you need to go fly it except a bottle of fuel. At $259.99, it's an amazing bargain.

You can read a review of the Easy Fly 40 here:

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=124

Plenty of folks have taught themselves to fly by tossing around electric planes. It didn't work very well for me, however, and because of that I always recommend going straight to glow trainers and a flight instructor.

Good luck, and good shopping!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM
AIRDEL

I agree with big ed.

If you are going to get a parkflier I would get an experienced flyer to balance and trim it for you and your sucess will probably double with a plane set up properly. With the small engines it becomes more necessary to have things just right.

Best of luck.

Get some help so you don't get discouraged.

Just my 2 cents. (Probably isn't worth the cost.)

Del
Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
jmurphy18

I am with Biged also. I am a newbie, almost done my trainer . I bougth the DX7 as I wanted to buy only 1 radio not 2-3 like I did with cars[sm=sad_smile.gif]. Sims work, but an instructor is the best. I have spent a lot of time at the field asking questions and watching. Learned a lot since I joined the club.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Bill Lowen

I soloed yesterday!!! I use a JR 6102. I fly a SkyRaider Mach 1. The plane was $69. It is a high wing trainer with a semi-symetrical wing. It is very stable but highly manuverable. One of the 3D guys even got it to hover, for a few seconds anyway.. I power it with an OS .46 AX glow motor. I have $420 invested. I bought the JR 6102 because I wanted an end all radio. This radio should last me quite a few years. I have 40 flights on my airplane with not one problem or failure. I tried one of those Park Flyers and IMHO they are junk. If you want to be succesful, buy a trainer with a good radio. Don't try to cut cost. I started last year with an Avistar and an LA 40 and an old junk 4 channel radio. Most days I went home depressed from having not gotten to flown. I had problems from everything to the engine not running to the radio failing. The most important thing is to join the AMA and a club. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to mine but it is well worth the drive. I think I learned more from just sitting and listening to other guys talk about their experiences. Plus what fun is it to sit in a field by yourself? I look forward to hanging out on a Sunday with a bunch of guys who share my passion. My best advice would be to don't cut corners. Do it right and get help. You will be happy you did. There is nothing in the world like the feeling I got when I planted all 3 wheels on the runway by myself. It was awesome!!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill,
Great job!! Congrats

A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75071.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	693593  
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Bill Lowen

Hey thanks Ken!!! that is awesome. I may just post that to my website. I might also add I got some great advice from RC universe and it helped a bunch in my quest to solo. (I say quest because it truly was. )